Because of the great reviews this property received, as well as our positive experience at the Commodore Perry Inn, their sister hotel across the street, we were confident that we would enjoy our stay at the Beachfront Resort. We were vastly disappointed, to say the least. Our initial contact was very positive and professional. I made our reservations online, requesting a room with 2 queen beds on the first floor as it appeared there was no elevator. We both have back issues, and while climbing the stairs to the second floor would not have been a problem, hauling our luggage along with us would have been. I quickly received a phone call from the resort, explaining that only second floor rooms had 2 queen beds, but that they could put us in a "barrier-free" room on the first floor. I explained that neither of us was wheelchair-bound and didn't need a handicap-accessible room, but were concerned about carrying our luggage up the stairs. The woman I spoke with seemed very understanding and said that, since they weren't booked up, when we checked in we could look at the second floor rooms and see if the stairs were something we could manage. I asked if she were certain that one of the second floor rooms would still be available in 4 days when we arrived, and she assured me that it would.
The evening of our departure for Port Clinton, I called from the car to explain that we would be arriving late (somewhere between 10 and 11). The woman who answered explained that the Beachfront Resort desk would be closed by then, and we would have to check in and get our room keys at the Commodore Perry Inn across the street. I also asked her to check and make sure a room with 2 Queen beds was still available on the second floor, explaining my conversation 4 days earlier. After some checking, she said that there was one room available. I asked if we should reserve it just in case and she didn't seem to think it was necessary. When we arrived at the Commodore Perry, we walked into the main lobby only to find no one attending the desk. We looked for a bell to ring or some way to signal that we needed assistance, but had no luck. We called out to see if anyone was within earshot. No answer. We then split up, each taking a different hallway to search. Nothing. It was now after 11 pm and we were so weary, we were considering leaving to find SOMEWHERE to sleep for the night, when the desk clerk appeared, saying it was so slow at that time of night, he had gone to adjust a TV in one of the rooms. We had been waiting 15 minutes. He began the check-in process, and when I asked about the second-floor room, he said they were all booked!! Nice. He gave us our room keys - which are actual metal keys, not electromagnetic cards. When we finally drove across the street to our hotel and attempted to use the first key, it got stuck in the lock and wouldn't open the door. We were afraid it was stuck for good, but finally managed to get it out and tried the second key. On the third try, we were able to unlock the door. To our barrier-free room with one queen bed. Which was placed approximately 18 inches from the air-conditioning unit. When we went to check out the bathroom, we discovered that there was no place to hang a towel. Anywhere. I pulled a hand towel from the rack where they were stored, only to open it and discover a brown spot the size of a penny. Not discoloration, but some kind of brown matter that had been embedded in the towel. Grossed. Out. We found towels that were clean enough to use, quickly got ready for bed, leaving as much as possible in our suitcases. Exhausted. Freezing (my side was next to the AC unit). I ended up sleeping under 2 blankets with a pillow over my head. Finally figured out how to get much-needed air into the stale room without it being sub-zero.
The next morning while my husband was at the now-occupied front desk of our hotel to see about the booking fiasco, I decided to inspect the dresser drawers in the light of day before unpacking. The first drawer I opened, had in it a piece of coated wire that had apparently broken off the closet shelving. On the end of the wire rod was growing a nice little cluster of black mold. Oh yeah. Having been diagnosed a few months ago with an allergy to black mold, I opened the door to our room and took the thing outside, hoping someone from housekeeping would dispose of it. I also discovered that to get "free" ice, we needed to go to the Commodore Perry, which is also where the continental breakfast was served, and where they will retrieve an iron and ironing board and bring it to your room if you request it. (Which they did, cheerfully and quickly).
Meanwhile, the Beachfront desk clerk had been apologizing to my husband and arranging for us to move to another room on the ground floor: king bed with jacuzzi plus kitchenette, for only $10.00 more. Hmmm. What we found over the ensuing 24 hours: a washcloth with a black stain across the middle, a dishtowel in the kitchenette with a long brown stain, and yes, again, black mold on the wallpaper surrounding the jacuzzi. (FYI, when you take a hot shower in a room with a tub that is not walled off, the entire room fills with steam.)
Even though we had two more nights left on our reservation, we could not get out of there quickly enough. We were told we would have to pay a $25.00 penalty for early check-out, so I produced the dirty linens, told them about the black mold, and asked them to contact the manager. He agreed to "refund" the fees for the next two nights without penalty and promised that what we saw was dirt, not mold. So reassuring. Anyone out there think we should have demanded a full refund? We just wanted to get out of there. Found a beautiful, clean room at the Island House in Port Clinton, and payed less than we were being charged at the Beachfront Resort. As my husband said,"Just putting the word 'resort' in the name doesn't make it a resort. Maybe they should change it to 'Last Resort'".
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.