“decent food BUT TERRIBLE SERVICE” 2 of 5 stars

(419)734-3118
Improve this listing
Ranked #43 of 70 restaurants in Port Clinton
Sandusky, Ohio
“decent food BUT TERRIBLE SERVICE”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I went there with my wife on a Saturday afternoon at around 2:00. We were seated promptly and given menus. It took over 15 minutes to have our orders taken and about 40 minutes to get our food. We both got burgers and the cook had to bring them out to us, more on that later. There was only one other customer in the place. I counted 8 (eight) employees. Once we got our food, it tasted pretty good. The burgers were large, pretty tasty, and the bun was good.

We had heard someone talk about their french fries being awesome and they were NOT. The fries were OK but were very limp: again, more on the cause of limp fries later. The onion rings were quite good. Our waitress made it clear she didn't care to serve us. We heard her say that she was leaving, it was just after she took our orders, and then the other waitress yelled "but you've got a table over there!" The waitress never refilled my water. And the final touch: she made us wait for 15 minutes, after we were finished to give, us the bill. Local diners are supposed to be known for prompt service. Evidently, not at the 2nd Street Diner.

One other item: how does good, hot food become cool and limp?

The waitress realized the long time it took for our order and blamed it on the "new cook." This was her quick apology when she showed up after that same "new cook" brought our food. I'm guessing the order was sitting for a while waiting on her to bring it. I bet if our food had come out when the "new cook" had plated it, it would have been hotter and better. I gave an extra point to the food score because it did seem like our plates sat for more than a few minutes before delivery to our table. Maybe their fries are better when hot-n-fresh out of the fryer instead of slow-poke-waitress limp.

• Visited July 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

58% Recommend
Cincy
“New Ownership”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011 via mobile

We originally drove by because there was a different name on the window. Turns out it's under new ownership. My husband had the perch dinner. It included a roll, salad, chowder, 3 pieces of fish and a baked potato. He said it was just ok. I had a grilled cheese and fries. The fries were undercooked. The desserts sounded delicious, but we didn't try them. It may get better, I think they said it was only their 3rd weekend open.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Awesome Food With A Great Price Too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

Don't miss out on a great place to eat with that country touch of taste... Super service and a great price too... We visit Port Clinton very year and dine at the Second Street Diner each day that we are there... Very happy for years and I'm sure for years to come... We love those Lake Perch Sandwiches... Just Right for the family!!!! Thanks

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great Breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

We did a quick overnight getaway in the Port Clinton/Catawba area. Had read good reviews about this diner, and decided to visit before hitting the road for home. This was right in the downtown area in a very old, cozy store front. Looks like this place has been here forever, and it seems to be very well-loved.

We tried fried mush for the first time, and I could eat it all day. My husband ordered the biscuits and sausage gravy and said it was some of the best he's ever had. The biscuit was tasty and flaky...obviously home made. I had a simple dish of scrambled eggs, toast and a sausage patty. This was no previously frozen hockey puck from the food supplier. This looked hand-pattied, and it was wonderful. Not too greasy, and a lot of flavor.

Busy friendly atmosphere, great waitress, and FRESH donuts in a cool little self-serve case by the register...also delicious. As I said, busy, so don't plan on this being a fast in-and-out experience, but it was well worth the wait.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richland, Michigan
“They ran out of orange juice.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

How does a diner run out of Orange Juice for breakfast on a Saturday morning? The service was polite, but slow. The food was average diner food.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere