“What a pleasant surprise!” 5 of 5 stars

White Caps Motel
2186 W. Lakeshore Dr, Port Clinton, OH 43452   |
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Port Clinton
Parma, Ohio
“What a pleasant surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We waited too long to book any of our favorite places in Marblehead, Ohio for the 4th of July weekend. On a lark, we found the White Caps, and they had a room open. This was a real stroke of luck for us. The rooms are large, updated and really clean. The bedding seems newer and very comfortable. Each bed had 4 fluffy pillows.The room had a coffee maker with coffee, cream and sugar, a larger dorm refrigerator,microwave and a "huge" community room with a commercial ice maker, pop machine,a computer, tables and everything you would need if you happened to need to entertain a larger crowd. There is also a "social" area outside with a grill and eating space. The surrounding area is quiet and our hostess couldn't have been more accomodating. If you want to hit the islands, the jet express is right there along with an assortment of eating areas and bars.
This place is a little off the beaten path by a few minutes, but well worth it since it is so much less expensive than the other places in Port Clinton. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Plain City, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Outstanding!!! I recently stayed there an was totally satisfied with it all. The rooms were very clean, the shower worked ok, could have used a little more pressure. Lol But I have found my place away from home when I go fishing on Lake Erie. Also the charter we went on was awesome. Caught our limit before noon. Chater Capt Dave Vargo is awesome. " THE FIN" 5 STARS

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
New Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed here for the first time. We usually stay on base at nearby Camp Perry for the National Pistol Championships. White Caps is close to the base and close to downtown Port Clinton. We already reserved our rooms for next year. Rooms are clean and have a fridge and microwave. Very convenient! We have two little ones and there was no tub just a shower. Luckily we brought a tub with us. The cleaning ladies are very nice and did a good job. We were pleased with our stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Delaware, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I took my daughter to fish for 3 days, docking locally and staying in cabin #10. Aside from no propane, therefore hot water, we had a beautiful stay there. Neighbors are friendly and it's located close to downtown, jet express and local bars and jet ski rentals. Perfect for a small, quiet weekend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
WhiteCapsMotel, Owner at White Caps Motel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your review of the White Caps Motel. We appreciate these reviews. They are valuable tools for us to use as we work towards constantly improving our service, facilities and experiences we offer our guests.

I'm sorry that you had trouble with the hot water at the unit you stayed in. After your stay we removed the propane sucking water heater in question and replaced it with a new energy efficient electric water heater. Our intent is to never have a guest inconvenienced in that way again.

. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at # 10 "The Ottawa" . Should you like to return, I think you would really enjoy this unit as we have completely redecorated the unit this year with all new flooring, carpeting, furniture and a very comfortable Queen sized bed. You can see photos of the results of our refurbishing project at our web site and choose "cottages"

Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing The White Caps Motel and Cottages for your get away. We hope to see you again!
Minnesota City, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The establishment has an identity crisis - I don't think if knows if it wants to be a trailer park or a motel. The grounds were average and well kept. The rooms we stayed in was dated and could have used a little better cleaning for the price we paid. Will not go back - when I am in the area will look for different place to stay. The office was very seldom open you had to call or find someone to get you to open the office.

Room Tip: no advice here
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
WhiteCapsMotel, Owner at White Caps Motel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you for your review of White Caps Motel and RV Park. I look forward to seeing these reviews as they offer valuable information that helps us to serve our clients better as we strive to offer the very best experience possible.

I'm not certain how to reply to the comment that we have an identity crisis here at White Caps Motel and RV Park. The comment was that we were unsure of whether we wanted to be a Motel or trailer park. Since our family purchased this property in 1975 we have been a Motel and RV Park catering to the needs of a fishing, boating and competitive shooting clientele as well as vacationers and families looking for economical lodging at Lake Erie. White Caps Motel and RV Park actually existed for 20 or so years prior to that in the same capacity but under different ownership. Our identity is actually pretty well established.

There are quite a few lodging properties here in the "Vacationland" area that combine motels with RV Parks with seasonal manufactured homes but I can see that in some areas this is perhaps not a common set up and so the confusion is understandable.

As to the comment that our rooms are dated, without knowing exactly which room you were in it is difficult to respond in much detail other than our pictures that we post online on our website are updated each year to truthfully reflect our rooms, décor and amenities. We do have a program of updating an improving our furnishings on a regular basis, for example over the last couple of years, we replaced mattresses in most rooms with high quality Serta plush top mattresses that have received rave reviews form our clients. We recently did a total renovation of half of our rooms, We have also replaced bedding, furniture in some rooms and have a program to continue to do so on a rotational basis.

If anyone has any questions, our photos are an accurate representation of the rooms available

That said our facility was built many decades ago, and we are limited by that in the design of our bathrooms and the size of our rooms, and although our bathrooms have been renovated periodically they are small and perhaps not what every traveler is looking for.

As for the cleanliness of our rooms, our staff works hard to ensure that every room is kept to a high standard, and we have received excellent reviews in the past However you report here that the room you were in did not meet these standards, ad I apologize and assure you that I will be meeting with the staff to ensure that nothing slips by them in the future.

Your comment that the office was sometimes not attended was well founded. Due to circumstances beyond our control, we are shorthanded this spring and for a period of time the office was a one (wo)man operation. I apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused you.

Again, I thank you for your comments and should you have any questions or further comments or suggestions, I would be happy to talk to you personally, Just give us a call!
Canton, mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Another great stay during my annual visit to Port Clinton for the NRA High Power Championship at Camp Perry.
My room was spacious, clean, well maintained and cool. Towels and linens were in ample supply and in excellent condition. Room was equipped with a mini fridge, coffee pot, microwave, and a TV with a great selection of channels. White Caps now has WI-FI which I found helpful so I could access the internet with my laptop.

White Caps also has a community type room with a computer, pop machine, and washer and dryer.

Great place to stay... friendy folks... excellent deal on prices. I would not hesitate to stay again and would recommend the White Caps to family and friends.

Room Tip: I like the motel rooms... they have cottages, but I can back right up to my door to unload my gear w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

As our son was at encampment at Camp Perry, we stayed at the White Caps Motel. This is a decent, simple, reasonably priced and clean motel. Reminiscent of the old fashioned motels that provide you with a place to lay your head without all the bells and whistles YET all the necessary amenities. I was impressed with the large room that provides several tables for eating, ice machine, laundry machines, coffee with the fixins, add'l bathroom and computer access - this room combines a kitchen/dining/meeting room. Room was clean with fridge, microwave, etc. FYI on our bathroom - NOT for the 'larger' person or one with small children in the potty training stage - I would suggest using the bathroom in the ''meeting' room. You can go for a nice walk out back to the water, have a nice BBQ in the designated area and each room has a table and chairs outside for you to sit and enjoy the evening. I would HIGHLY recommend this motel to men as it is perfect for an overnight for fishing, charters, hunting, boating, etc. If interested, there are several places that deliver (ie. Pizza Hut) to this hotel too! Also very close and convenient if you are utilizing Camp Perry for any functions there and they are only minutes away from Port Clinton beach and shopping. Not for someone looking for a pretentious experience. WILL stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to White Caps Motel? Share your experiences!