“Great place for a budget friendly winter stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Welcome Birders
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Port Clinton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, GA
“Great place for a budget friendly winter stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at the Island House over Christmas. We chose it based both on the reviews and the fact that the other nearby chain hotels wanted to charge big city prices instead of small town prices. I do not typically stay at non-chain hotels because I like the points and the consistency. The Island House proved to be a great "gamble". We paid 63 dollars a night, which you can't beat. The room was clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. While you had to wait for the hot water to get hot, the shower had great water pressure and stayed hot after the initial warm up.

The location was great - easy to get to and within walking distance of a few restaurants.

The free breakfast was a little wee, but the coffee was good and they had real half and half.

My only real complaint is that ESPN was not available on the in-room TV.

My best tip: bring your cosmetic case that has a hanger, because, at least in the king room, there is no counter in the bathroom.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent a Friday night at the Island House the beginning of October, 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. Our room had been remodeled and had wonderful bed linens with a comfortable bed as well as a comforter. The old flavor of the hotel had been kept, but the modern amenities were so well done.
The 1812 Food and Sprits restaurant in the hotel was delightful. We had mussels for an appetizer that were some of the best I have ever had. Perfectly prepared with nice crusty bread. I had a cocktail and glass of wine, our entrees (he had duck and I had veal marsala), both were nicely done. We also had dessert from their well displayed dessert tray--also great. I would highly recommend the hotel as well as the restaurant. We were disappointed not to have spent two nights instead of just one.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room off the main street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Belmont, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We recently traveled to Port Clinton for our wedding on 10/20/12 and both of our families, guests, wedding party (and us of course) all stayed at the hotel and *WOW* was everyone impressed! All our guests had something positive to say whether it was the uniqueness of the historical hotel, the luxury bedding, warm atmosphere, Rosie’s Bar & Grill, and much more. However, the best thing about this hotel was the WONDERFUL staff. They all went above and beyond to accommodate us and our guests. THANK YOU Island House Hotel staff (and Rosie’s Bar & Grill staff) for truly making our wedding weekend even more special!!! <3 Trisha & Jared Estock

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Toledo, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I like this hotel because it's right next to the Jet Express and I can stay close to Put In Bay when there are no vacancies on the island.
The hotel is a little old but it's clean and the service is pretty good. Next time my husband and I can't find a place to stay on the island we will definitely come back to the Island House Hotel.

Room Tip: If you are going to the island, you can park your car at the hotel and walk to the Jet Express. This...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Recently we spent one night at the Island House. My main reason for booking this hotel was because they don't charge for cancellations. We planned on traveling by ferry to Put-in-Bay for the Oktoberfest the next day.It's a short walk to the ferry. Parking is free at the hotel. Majority of B & B or hotels at Put-in-Bay require a 2 night stay with cancellation penalties.

This being said, the Island House is a beautiful Historic hotel. Two couples checked in early and our rooms were ready. Originally, we were told we would have 2 rooms with an adjoining door. Upon check in, our rooms weren't adjoined. I'm not sure why but it was ok. Our room was facing the street. The rooms are well appointed. It had two queen beds/flat screen tv, coffee maker, refrigerator. Free wifi but we didn't take our computer.

The hotel has a restaurant and bar. We did have a lovely dinner in the restaurant. I had crab cakes and an 1821 salad. My husband had lightly breaded perch. Both were delicious.

We didn't realize until bedtime that our room was over the bar. There was entertainment in the bar until 11:00pm. It seemed to be light jazz so it was ok but I'm glad they quit at 11:00p. Had I know though that our room was over the bar I would have requested another room upon check-in.

We enjoyed a continental breakfast in the morning. Bagels, cereal, pastries, coffee, tea and o.j.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, make sure your room is not over the bar.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel was exactly what I was looking for! It was a great place from the moment we walked in the door! I would definately return!!! So close to everything including the ferry. Thank You Island House for making our weekend perfect!

Room Tip: A la Carte is a wonderful place for breakfast and take the ferry!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Saginaw, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I prefer to stay in older hotels/inns. The Island House was perfect. The staff was so very friendly and accomodating. The room was clean and the beds very comfortable. I was with a group (late 70+ in age) associated with Otterbein College/ University. The men were Country Club fraternity members and wives. It was a perfect place to relax, remember past experiences and friendships. It was very convenient to the Ferry, shops and for making day trips. It was easy to locate for all who traveled from out of state or who had not been to Port Clinton. The evening banquet that was served to us was superb. It was excelent dinning at a very,very reasonable price. The wait staff was excellent. I want to say again, how friendlyand accomodating the staff was. I was traveling alone and felt very comfortable. If I were younger
I would go back with my spouse for a relaxing stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Island House Hotel? Share your experiences!