“wouldn't stay any place else” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn & Suites

You added Country Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Country Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3760 East State Road, Port Clinton, OH 43452 (Formerly Port Clinton Islands' Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Port Clinton
Sharpsville, United States
“wouldn't stay any place else”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

This was a return visit to the Port Clinton area and I never hesitated when it came to booking lodging for our trip. Country Inn and Suites number is on speed dial and I call them direct to make our reservations. The staff is the greatest making sure all our needs are met. Since there is always room for improvement [I'm sure they can come up with something like having sugar free jelly and syrup at breakfasts] I rated them as "very good".

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson

AUDRIANNA_ASH, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Hi Barbara M!
That was a great review of your stay, and I had to print it out for the staff to see. This time of year, it is fantastic to get a good review! We are in the busiest time of our busy season. and I am glad that everything was good during your stay. You mentioned the sugar free syrup..we have it! It is on the breakfast buffet by the waffle station. I got some sugar free jelly also, its in the pantry, so when you need some, you just let Sandy know! Good to see you and looking forward to your next stay,

Angela Long

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

This hotel was perfect for my needs. Bed was comfortable, access to the highway was very easy and the room was affordable. Breakfast wasn't the best I've had at a hotel, but had all of your basics (cereal, eggs, bagels, etc). There was 1 morning that we went to get breakfast around 9am (closes at 10am) and there was barely anything left to chose from, but other than that it was a great stay!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Lauren C.,
Thanks for the review of your stay. I am glad you enjoyed a comfy bed, and that you found the hotel and your room clean upon arrival. I am glad you enjoyed the full breakfast, there are times that so many guests in the breakfast area at one time can get overwhelming, but it sounds like at least one day of your stay we could have done a better job keeping up. Please visit us again when you are in the area!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The hotel was clean and pretty nice with free snacks, coffee, and tea at all hours of the night. When I first arrived, I had an issue with my luggage, getting it all up to the second floor, so the staff was able to switch me to a ground floor room that actually was an upgrade, which was very helpful. I also dropped an earring down the sink accidentally and even though the staff couldn't help during my stay, they made an effort to follow up a couple of days later when they could get a maintenance person to take a look. They found my earring and shipped it to me, which was above and beyond. I thought the pricing for the room was a tad expensive but it was a good hotel and I was happy with my stay.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, so you might want to request a ground floor room if you have a lot of luggag...
Dear RP3x454,
Thank you so much for the good review of your stay! We were super excited that we found your earring in the sink trap. Trust me, we did not let anyone near that sink until Monday when I could get a maint person to take the trap apart! I am glad you enjoyed your stay, I think you were here for a wedding, but we hope to see you again, if you are in the area.

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

NOTE: This hotel does not have an elevator.

We booked a last minute trip to the area and stayed here because they were the hotel with rooms available. It was okay, but not worth the money we paid, unfortunately. I think that may be the result of us wanting to go in July, staying over on Saturday night. We were there for 3 nights, and the rate for a Saturday night in July was $225. Amazing. I know it's a case of supply and demand, but that's ridiculous.

The carpeting in our room was stained and had a pattern of wear, the door at the end of the hallway into the parking lot was supposed to be key card entry only, but the door jam was broken and anyone could walk into the hotel without a key. There seemed to be a pattern of deferred maintenance that I would not expect in a hotel where we were charged $225 for one night to stay.

Overall, it was okay, but it definitely wasn't worth the price we paid. I've paid less in larger cities for much nicer hotels with better service.

Room Tip: This hotel does NOT have an elevator. You have to request a room on the first floor if you don'...
Dear Beth TK,
Thanks for the review of your recent stay with us here at Country Inn and Suites Port Clinton. The rates this time of year are indeed higher than in off season. The most expensive rate we usually have is on Saturdays, it is more economical to stay during the week if possible. I apologize for the carpeting issue, many of our guest rooms have carpeting badly in need of a deep cleansing. We are trying to get to a few rooms a day, it is difficult with the hotel being in a sold out status daily. I do hope that you will visit us again, and see the improvements,

Gaithersburg, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We were put in a room across from the office and next to a stairwell, business center and breakfast room - it was noisy. Our room was missed - it was not cleaned at all after our first night. The breakfast was good but not a great selection - it was clean and kept pretty well stocked. I would consider staying again, but I would refuse to accept a room near the office and front desk area.

Dear Daniel D.,
Please accept my apologies regarding the location of your room. I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay as much as you may have if we had placed you in another area of the hotel.. I am pleased that you enjoyed the complimentary full breakfast, it is a geat start to the day.
Hope to see you soon,
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

First and foremost, this hotel is NOT handicap accessible. No wheelchair ramps, no elevator. They did have handicap parking though.

My family and I stayed at this hotel 2 nights.

First impressions:
When we exited our car to check in, we were hit with this horrendous odor outside. I have NO idea what it was but it smelled like either A) rotting garbage or B) dead animal - either way it was extremely unpleasant.

The property was clean and well maintained. Easy access to the highway.

Checked in at approximately 4:00 p.m. and our room was ready, however, when we went to use the key cards to open our room door they did not work. Had to go back downstairs and get new cards. Second set worked just fine.

Entering the room was just how you would picture it - 2 beds, TV (picture quality was bad, remote worked if you mashed the buttons), microwave, fridge- all clean and in working order. Was NOT happy with the cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, the dirty toilet, mildew in the shower stall, cups/garbage behind the nightstand next to the beds and the filthy carpets. This room really needs a table with chairs. It is difficult to eat food sitting on a bed with a plate on your lap...

The beds were comfy and the only traffic we could hear was the side street and it was tolerable.
The A/C is loud enough to drown out most of the traffic/hallway noise.

Visited the indoor pool a couple of times - small, but warm. Pool deck was extremely slippery.

Breakfast was typical hotel breakfast foods. Make your own waffle (wait in line for who knows how long), juices, milk, cereal, bagels, eggs, sausage, doughnuts etc... Let's just say on day two we totally skipped it.

Possible security issue - the side door we used does not latch properly. The door will only latch if you PULL it shut.

All in all this hotel served its purpose. Would we stay here again? No way.

Room Tip: If you or someone in your party is handicapped, get a room on the first floor.
Dear Travlinwiththefam,
I appreciate you taking time to write a review regarding your stay. I wish that you did not have any of the housekeeping issues that you wrote about upon arrival. I am not sure exactly what had happened, but it looks like we fell short there. I am happy that you enjoyed the beds, and the quiet, and that upon arrival everything looked well kept. I do hope that you will visit again, and if there is anything I can do further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel at 419-732-2434.

Julesburg, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was a bit hesitant to stay at Country Inn and Suites in Port Clinton, Ohio after a bad experience at one in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Pulling up was a little scary. Very dark. It was 11:30 PM though. Check in went very smooth. Don't let the outside fool you on this one! The inside is very modern and smells good. Angela the manager is very kind. I gave 4 stars because the WiFi was very slow and didn't work that good overall. Breakfast was the average Country Inn breakfast (eggs, sausage, bread, juice etc.). The hotel is located right off the freeway which was convenient. I was here for my sister's wedding by the way. I am very pleased with this property and will return next time I'm in Port Clinton! Thanks for the amazing stay!

Room Tip: All rooms seem quiet!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Thomas_A903,
Thank you so much for writing this review! I am glad you had a great experience with us, and that you took advantage of all we have to offer, including the full breakfast. Our apologies that the WIFI was slow for you, we will be looking into it to see if there is anything we can do to solve that issue. You had mentioned our convenient location, and I agree! We are so close and convenient to Cedar Point Amusement Park and alot of Wedding Venues, including Mon Ami Winery and also Catawba Island Club, as well as The Lake Erie Isalnds and Marblehead. So much to do in our area at this time of year!
Glad you stayed with us for your Sister's wedding, and hope to see you again,
Angela Long

Been to Country Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!