“Under construction, but excellent experience” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Poland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Germantown, Maryland
“Under construction, but excellent experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Areas of this hotel are under construction including room renovations. The suite was clean and allowed for a good night sleep. The kitchen was very nice and we even used it a bit. Even though the lobby had construction activities, they did not interfere with a pleasant stay. The breakfast was very good including warmed prepared breakfast foods to compliment the more routine mix of coffee, juices, and dairy and baked goods. A good experience.

Room Tip: Request room without parking lot light mounted above window - the bright exterior light can enter th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Greensburg, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Just got back from a 4 night stay at this property and hated every second of it. I will preface this review by saying that last August we were screwed by this same hotel and I reluctantly gave them another chance. In 2011, our 11-month old reservation was relocated without our permission or knowledge due to an overbooking issue. I was forced to travel with a 10 day-old baby to a hotel that didn't have all of the amenities that I needed. At that time, management at the property level was unsympathetic and unaccommodating, and corporate wasn't much help either.
Flash forward to this year: Again, I had made reservations in August 2011 for this trip in August 2012. As soon as we tried to check in there were problems. They switched us from 2 one-bedroom suites to a 2 bedroom suite, then weren't going to honor the voucher I had because it was only good for a 1 bedroom suite (had the voucher because of the mistakes last year). Then they weren't going to honor the government rate on the new room. At one point the manager even questioned my husband's eligibility, who is in the military and also a state employee. If we don't qualify, then I don't know who does. This hotel also has one of the weirdest pre-auth policies I've ever encountered. They run a hold (or a pre-auth) on a credit card for the entire amount of the stay plus a $100 incidentals fee, then when you check out you pay the full amount. Which means, depending on which credit card you're using, there may be a period of time where the funds are held twice, before the pre-auth is released back to your card. So if charging, be sure to have twice the total amount plus $100 available credit on your card.

The hotel is being renovated, so there is construction debris everywhere. About 1/3 of the parking spots have been taken by construction materials. We found razor blades in the parking lot on 4 separate occasions, and when brought to the manager's attention, they were still laying in the parking lot the next morning. I have kids and dogs. This is a liability.

The room was not ready to be rented out. Period. Two of the 3 TVs didn't work. One bathroom door locked every time you shut it. The other bathroom door didn't close at all because it didn't fit properly in the door jam. There was dry wall dust on the bathroom floor. My son found a 1/2 inch screw (luckily it was my 5 year old and not my 1 year old who would've eaten it.), among other debris, on the carpet. When we took it to the front desk and left for dinner, we assumed they would do something about it. When we returned 2 hours later, nothing had been done. And apparently, their phone system wasn't working properly either because I was told that messages had been left and yet never got any. Clearly, the room hadn't been inspected like I was assured it had. Either that, or the 'inspector' wasn't doing his job either.

We had to ask for towels every day we were there. The bathroom floors never were cleaned.

The front desk agent was also caught lying to me or about me on 4 distinct occasions in a matter of 6 hours on our final night at the hotel. We were traveling with dogs and supposedly there had been complaints about them barking in our vehicle (it's completely dog friendly with crates and fans running). I know for a fact that it isn't true because one of the guests in our room is a smoker and was outside hourly. The first we heard of this was when someone from the front desk called the room. I immediately went to address it, and our vehicle was moved within 15 minutes of my leaving the front desk. While at the front desk to discuss the accusation I was called a "stupid B-___" by another guest and somehow the desk agent twisted the story around and told the manager that I had called her that name and I was uncooperative. At this time, I am trying to get the corporate office to take note of this because I will not have someone falsely accuse me of something and get away with it. The front desk agent will figure out that she shouldn't have lied about me.

I will say that the staff that takes care of the breakfast area are fantastic! They went out of their way to make us feel welcome and even spent time getting to know my kids. I'm not sure of their names, but I would hope that they are being recognized for their great work ethics.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
YougstownRI_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Youngstown Poland, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and for bringing these issues to our attention. Due to a full hotel and our renovation process, we unfortunately were unable to accommodate your request. I appreciate your kind comments about the breakfast staff; they work diligently to provide great service. I apologize for any confusion regarding your debit card payment. Many bank debit cards create double with- holdings from your account, one for the pre-authorization and one for the actual charge at check out. Please notify the front desk agent upon check-in that you will be using your debit card, steps will be taken to avoid the double with-holdings.
We regret that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. I can assure you all issues are being addressed and steps will be taken to improve the hotel for each of our guests. Thank you for staying at Youngstown Residence Inn.

Steve Patris
General Mananger
Brooklyn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed here one week for a work trip and regretted the decision to book this hotel as soon as I got to my room. I hate saying very bad things about places but it annoys me that this place looks nothing like the fresh, clean, modern and bright hotel depicted in the pictures on its website.

This hotel needs an update and a good cleaning - which actually was happening RIGHT ABOVE MY HEAD! I felt like the bedding, bathroom and carpeting in my room were extremely dirty and worn out looking. The ceiling in the bathroom had multiple stains on it. The tile in the bathroom had stains and it was just a very unpleasant experience.

The internet was very slow and the simplest requests for data took triple the time than in other public places. .

I didn't even go near the pool and was somewhat thankful I didn't.

The sad thing is that I may need to stay in this area again for work. I scoped out the other hotels on the same street and will try out a different one next time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Residence Inn Youngstown Poland, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I apologize we did not provide you with the experience you expected while staying at our hotel. As you may know, we are going through a full renovation to give our hotel a fresh updated look to enhance our guest experience. Our High Speed Internet was just upgraded this past week to give our guests what they expect for their working needs.

I want to assure you that these issues are being addressed. We hope with our new updated additions to our property, you will give us another try the next time you are working in our area.

Sincerly,

Steve Patris
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We usually stay at Residence Inns when we travel because they have larger rooms with a kitchen, living room area, and separate bedroom and they are generally very nice. My son slept on the sofa bed. The cushion was stained on the underside of the sofa and so was the mattress. The room was just not as clean as other locations have been. Lower guest expectations maybe? The shower had luke warm water only too. It wasn't outright nasty, but compared to the other Residence Inns we've stayed it wasn't as nice.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Ventnor City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

The room we stayed in was a good size and had everything we needed (couch desk, microwave, toaster, and refrigerator). The closet was large and had mirrored doors (good thing for girls!) The TV swivels so you can watch it from the bed or from the couch. The bed was very comfy and there were extra blankets if needed. We went to breakfast each morning and it was very good. There are eggs, bacon/sausage, pancakes, hash browns, waffles, bagels, toast, fruit, and probably some more that I missed. For a free breakfast it is very good. The “bussers” were friendly and kept the food fresh. When we checked in the guy working the desk was very friendly and helpful. Every time we walked past the desk we were greeted by the agents. There are SO many restaurants in the area!! I would recommend WedgeWood Pizza and Salsitos Mexican. We stayed here because I was visiting a friend in Austintown and the drive was very easy to there and Youngstown. Short drive from the Pittsburgh airport as well.

Room Tip: we were in 201 and it was close to the side entrance (very easy access)
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Not thrilled with this hotel. My biggest complaint was their overuse of some kind of air freshener. I don't know what they use, but ugh....I was feeling nauseous. I was there during a time when a lot of dogs were staying in some of the rooms.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Even though it was my first visit in Poland, i felt like home. The staff was very friendly. Excellent location. I really really enjoyed it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Residence Inn Youngstown Poland? Share your experiences!