“Wonderful Stay Except the Elevator” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 12 hotels in Perrysburg
Virginia
“Wonderful Stay Except the Elevator”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Let me start by saying we actually stayed here for a convention in Detroit. Why? Because apparently the state of MI no longer welcomes smokers and I personally wont’ stay at a hotel that wants me to stand on a street corner at night to have a cigarette, especially in Detroit where the crime rate is so high. It was only about an hour drive but well worth it to be able to relax in my hotel room at night. Put the smokers in a different section with a separate ventilation system vs. banning them from what they enjoy and do you really believe people that smoke illegal substances are following the rules? I highly doubt it. And then I had to wonder why MI is so concerned about quality of air when all I saw were numerous factories blowing chemicals and toxins into the air at massive rates, buildings crumbling to the ground which I’m sure full of asbestos yet cigarette smoke is the concern? Honestly sometimes I think the world has gone nuts.
So off my soapbox and to the hotel. I saw an earlier review that in 2009 it was brand new so their GPS could not find it but that has not changed. My GPS is about 3 months old and could not find the street, hotel or zip code. I had to pull out the PDA and use MapQuest. The hotel sits at the end of long road beside a Holiday Inn Express on Freemont so if your GPS does not work use that location. Upon arriving I was greeted by a very nice young man that checked me in. The hotel is very clean and well maintained. My only complaint was the elevator. When it stops on the 3rd floor the brakes vibrate and shakes the elevator quite a bit, I could have done without that.
The room is very nice, I have included pictures. It’s the typical design I see at any Candlewood Suite Queen Bed room. They offer you a variety of pillows, feather etc if you don’t like those in the room. The bathroom was very nice with working drawers which I really liked to store away toiletries. The water was hot but the pressure is very low. It comes of course with a full kitchen, dining table, flat screen TV with cable. The bed was medium, a little firm for me but comfortable enough. The windows open a bit which is always a plus for me when the weather is nice. Perrysburg OH is a very nice and the historical area was lovely. I felt completely safe the entire time I was here. There are numerous restaurants, grocery stores, almost anything you could want in the immediate area. I will definitely stay here next year when we return to Detroit. In a way I have to thank the state of MI because I would have never sought out Perrysburg OH and found out I like it much better than staying in downtown Detroit. The price difference between the two hotels $81.00 Perrysburg and $150.00 Detroit more than made the drive worth it to us as well.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Perrysburg, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Dear LBiship,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We are pleased you liked the location of our hotel as well as your room accommodations. We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience you experienced with the elevator. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Cupertino, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is a nice, clean Candlewood Suites at Perrysburg, OH. I stayed here few times for 2 nights at a time. The hotel has a snack pantry with free coffee, business center, mini gym and laundry facility. The suite has a full size refrigerator, coffee maker, sink, a microwave, 2 stove top burners with full set of flatware. Bed is on a firm side with 2 very flat pillows. In addition to the flat screen TV, the room also has a DVD player. Guest can borrow a collection of DVDs from the front desk. Wall is on the thin side. Make sure you do not have a loud neighbor. Overall, it is a good stay for the price. The location is nearby grocery, panera, fast foods and restaurants. I will return to this hotel again when I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor, facing the back of building.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012 via mobile

This is nice and very clean place to stay especially the extended stay. Caveat, this place is pricey if you want to extend your stay out of pocket. Most staff are friendly. This has a mini gym and a laundromat....perfect for a workout buff on the go! Lacks swimming pool which come in handy in summer. It iis conveniently located off of I-75.

• Stayed February 2012
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

We stayed here for a month after moving to Toledo while we waited for our new home to finish construction. We had to stay here because it was only place that would accept our 3 dogs but it is an extra $10 per dog PER DAY so it really adds up. The place very pet friendly. There is a nice dog walking area with clean up bags and a trash can but they ran out of the bags and never refilled it so you should bring your own.

The hotel is in a great location. Its right off the highway and right across the street from a grocery store. There's also lots of restaurants, a walmart, target, and lots of other shopping places.

The room is on the small side and we felt cramped but that was because we moved the dinner table over so we could fit 2 large dog crates in the room. So when you look at my pictures keep in mind that the room is more open without the crates. I felt the bathroom was designed poorly in that the bathroom door does not open fully but instead bangs into the sink so while you are standing at the sink with the door open, the door blocks half of the sink and you can barely use it. And the shower curtain reeked of mildew and the maid only changed it on the last weekend of our stay. The bed was on the firm side but we got used to it.

The kitchen has a fridge, stove, and microwave. You get 2 of each silverware and there are also pots, pans, plates, and glasses. The hotel does not provide breakfast so if you're looking for an extended place with breakfast try StaybridgeSsuites at Fallen Timbers in Maumee. We stayed there during our first visit to the Toledo area and really liked it. Staybridge suites has bigger rooms, provides a great breakfast buffet everyday along with a light dinner, and they also have a pool which Candlewood does not.

But Candlewood does have a nice little gym that is connected to a laundry room which you can use free of charge. You have to provide your own detergent, though. I recommend you stay on the top floor if possible because whenever there was someone in the room above us it constantly sounded like a stampede of elephants and we had to call the front desk to complain about the noise.

The maid service was below par. Occasionally our sheets weren't changed, we didn't get toilet paper a few times, the maid took our kitchen/dish cleaners and paper towles and didnt replenish and we were constantly having to go to the front desk to get these items.

There is a nice little covered area outside with a grill and some tables but unrortunately it was always filled with smokers and they always left cigerrete butts on the ground and also outside every entry door to the hotel. I was surprised managemnt didn't do something to clean up the mess.

And this is the weirdest thing I've ever written in a review but there was actually a prostitue waiting on the back side of the hotel who approached us at night once when we were walking our dogs and asked us to use our hotel key to let her into the hotel. It was very strange and I realized that this probably occurs a lot since she knew not to go through the front entrance of the hotel. This also makes sense because during my stay I was usually the only female. Mostly everyone staying there were working guys just passing through.

Overall, I would recommend this place to anyone who has dogs because of the nice dog walking area. But if you are looking for an extended stay place that's a little nicer, has a bigger room, free brakfast, a pool, and has more of a family vibe, then I'd recommend Stay Bridge Suites at FallenTimbers.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

although the hotel was lovely and i enjoyed my stay i was high upset when i check my account balance and realized i was billed additional fees. i contact the hotel and they can't account for these additonal fees. upon check out i received a receipt confirming my bill was payed and full.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
McDowell, Ky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We stay there everytime that we go up North. We have always found this place to be clean . We will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011 via mobile

First off let me say I am a priority club platnum member. But this stay reflected anything but.on aprox aug 15th I stayed for 3 days. Low and behold when I left I had a terrible rash. I immediately scheduled an appointment with my dr. Only to reveal that BED BUGS were the culprit. I have Tryed contacting The general manger several times during what should be business hours and she is Never there! I am further taking action on this matter. so that no one else will be faced with the poor hygiene this hotel implements. This will be the last stay at this location!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Candlewood Suites Perrysburg? Share your experiences!