“The New Year's Disaster” 1 of 5 stars

Quail Hollow Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   11080 Concord-Hambden Road, Painesville, OH 44077   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Painesville
Akron, OH
“The New Year's Disaster”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

WOW! Where do I start? I purchased the New Year's Eve package along with a couple of friends and their significant others. When we arrived, our check in went ok, except for the fact that they could not find the reservation because it was under the wrong name. Not a big deal... Easy mistake to make. When we got to the room, it was a very clean room and decently sized. So far, so good. Then we decided to eat at CK's Steakhouse. Big mistake. After ordering a round of drinks, they arrived at the table approx. 25 minutes later. We proceeded to drink the drinks, finished them and sat around for about 15 more minutes before our server came back to the table to take our order. We have now been at the restaurant for about 1hr. 15min. and still had no salad. My friend finally complained to the manager and our food came out shortly after. It had obviously been sitting under a heat lamp for some time. We began to eat (still no second drink or water refills) The food was ok. Probably would have been fine if it was fresh. The server then came back to check on us. My friend attempted to appologize to the server for complaining, but she decided to say "ok" a couple of times in condescending tone while walking away. My friend was still talking and she simply ignored him! We then ate as fast as we could because it was now 10:30PM and the package that I purchased included a New's Years Eve party. When we arrived at the party, ther was a very long line to get in. They had 1 person checking ID's and handing out wristbands. Once inside, we waited in line at the bar for a drink. This only took 15 more minutes. I was now 11:00 and we were finally partying! The band was pretty good but there were way too many people crammed into a small banquet hall. After midnight and the many "Happy New Year's" greeting we proceeded back to the room. We had enough. This hotel may be ok for an overnight stay, but I would stay away from their "special events"!

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — The on-site restaurant (CK's)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

My partner and I were delighted with our weekend getaway stay at Quail Hollow. After a tough week, we zoomed up from Pittsburgh to this getaway destination. Despite our late arrival, the front staff were bright and cheerful and after checking into our beautiful room, we went to CK's for a late dinner. The food was exquisite, the chef definitely has a flair for sophisticated preparation and presentation.
One delightful selection was the lobster mash potatoes that had incredible chunks of succulent lobster meat in the comfort of just right mash potatoes. My partner and I also enjoyed one of the very best calamari appetizers we've even found. ( And we make it a quest to find the best calamari).
What makes a great stay for my partner is a huge and comfortable bed. We found that and then some. The large king size bed hosted lots of pillows and a lovely white comfortable that exemplified the cleanliness and cozy quality that aided in our relaxation.
What was the best part of the trip? The service attitude of the staff! Everyone from the man who retrieved us some fresh towels for the jacuzzi, to our server at CKs to the dignified, but friendly front desk professionals made us feel welcome and like an honored guests.
We highly recommend this retreat!

• Liked — It hard to say between the wonderful staff and the room ambience.
  • Disliked — That it was over too soon.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

Just returned from a weekend getaway to Ohio wine country. We ended up staying at Quail Hollow because everything else in the Geneva area that we were interested in was booked. Overall, Quail Hollow was a good experience. We booked directly with the property and received a rate of $109.00 with AAA discount.
Not bad ! Things were very quiet, not many guests that we could see. The room was clean and somewhat updated, but the bed was bad for the back! Also, the air conditioning was extremely LOUD! We had dinner at CK's Steakhouse upon arrival. Dinner was good, service was a little slow though. Overall a good experience with the resort. The location was good, we were only about 16 miles from the first winery that we visited and about a 20 minute drive from the Beachwood area, which was a nice area to go for dinner.

The wineries that we visited were Debonne, South River Vineyard, and Ferrante.

Debonne - Very nice outdoor and indoor setting. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Wines were good and their juice house was also open so we were able to purchase fresh unpastuerized concord grape juice in addtion to the wines. YUM!!

South River Vineyard- Very cool setting!! Tasting room is housed in and old church. Very beautiful grounds and friendly staff. Highly recommend!!!

Ferrente - Largest of the three we visited. Nice place for lunch, food was good! You can dine inside or out .

• Disliked — uncomfortable bed and loud air conditioner
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
columbus ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

My husband and I checked in for a weekend in northeast ohio to visit neighboring wine country/geneva on the lake. We made this last minute as there was no accomadations in geneva. The hotel tself is upscale in appearance. Service at check in, valet, and ellboys very good. Restraunt CK steak house was excellent food and service, although the breakfast buffet was lacking...Resort had golf course with outdoor and indoor pool. Gym was better than most resorts. Our room was nice however did have some problems. My husband immediately commented that the bed sure wasn't a marriott bed (this hotel just recently was sold by marriott and is no longer) thebed was bad...our back s were killing us...only to take ashower the next morning with no water pressure but a trickle...need I say more...toilet ran all night and finally quit working morning of checkout. I would not stay again, not because of the service but because of the bad bed, shower,etc. If you are going to wine country all the wineries are a bit of a drive regardless where you stay but I liked the geneva area much better. I would recommend a b&b or possibly state lodge. The motels and cottages look old and run down. I'm sure quail hollow is way better than those options if thats all there is...

• Liked — service of staff
  • Disliked — horrible bed and shower
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CLEVELAND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

My husband and I had a grown up getaway and we stayed at the Quail Hollow Resort this week. I have to say I was nervous staying here because of some negative reviews online and because there is not website for the hotel itself. The fact that I have lived in Cleveland all my life and QHR has been around forever, I knew there was nothing horribly bad about the place. So we decided that it would fit our needs. It is centrally located for the Eastern Ohio Coastal area without being in a tourist trap.

I have to start out by saying I am an extremely picky traveler when it comes to accomodations. If it's not clean and freshly decorated, I don't stay. Period.

That said, QHR supplies what I call the three C's. Clean, Comfortable and Customer Service.

While it is an old hotel, it is freshly remodeled and modern. While it is no longer a Marriott, it is run efficiently and with a friendly staff.

I called and booked directly with the front desk about a week before we went. We were given a REALLY good price. I don't know if this was because of the new management issue or if we just happened to catch a deal by calling direct, but it was about $70 cheaper than I found listed online at booking sites. It also included breakfast buffet for two.

THE ROOM:
We checked in easily even though there was a wedding AND a huge family reunion taking place. We were given a King room on the second floor. (238) It had a pleasant view of a courtyard so it was quiet. The door however needed an extra push/pull to close fully. Otherwise it could be pushed open from the hallway. I'm sure being an older hotel, the doors are a bit warped from use. So just be sure to give extra attention when closing.

The windows opened but there are no balcony's. The room itself was decent size. The bathroom was on the larger side as far as hotels of this caliber. I like that it was a full bathroom. I hate when they put the sinks outside in the main room, so this was good. It was very quiet. No echos or "neighbor noises". Also the tub gave a very nice shower. Warm, solid and the shower curtain was on a bowed rod so it didn't stick to you and gave the tub a larger feel.

The room was stocked with Bath and Body soaps and shampoos. Lime verbena and Warm Vanilla Sugar. Nice touch! There is an iron/board, blow dryer, coffee pot. Big, clear television. Everything was clean. No stains on anything. No grime in the tub. The only thing we were bothered by was a very strong cigar smell to the room. This is a non-smoking facility, so I dont know if someone smoked illegally in there, or if it had previously been a smoking room that was remodeled and left a lingering odor.

We also had a problem with the toilet. It plugged up on the first use. We tried for 1/2hour to call the front desk, but all we got was a busy signal. I ended up walking down to get it fixed. The woman at the desk was apologetic and mainanence was to our room within 10 mins. He got the plug undone and also apologised for the inconvenience. I have to mention I was impressed that he didn't make a huge sloppy mess either. Although I did wipe down the toilet with some Clorox disinfectant wipes after he was done. (I do this anyways in hotel rooms! Compulsive I know. I can't help myself :)! )

The bed was comfortable but the duvet was too warm and it was the only blanket on the bed. Which bothered me moreso because I like to remove the comforters since they rarely get washed. eww There were lots (7) of fluffy pillows on the bed that were a nice touch as well.

We called for extra towels and toilet paper and it was brought up immediately.

The biggest issue we had was that the air conditioner/heating unit was VERY loud. It is an older building so we chalked it up to that. But still it made falling asleep difficult.

THE COMMON AREAS:
There is a double sided fireplace in the main lobby and the downstairs lounge. This would be nice on chilly winter days. The downstairs lounge has ample, comfortable seating for games, drinks, television. There is also a small patio off of this main floor lounge that overlooks a hill of the golf course. It has several tables/chairs and a soothing waterfall pond. Since the room had no balcony I went there early in the morning to have my coffee and watch the morning rise.

There are two nice sized pools and one large hottub. One indoor and one outdoor. Both were sparkling clear, no mold and didn't smell overly of chlorine. We would have liked to swim but didn't find the time this trip.

There is a workout room and a business room for guests to use.

THE RESTAURANT:
The restaurant is divided in two. One side is a formal dining room and the other is a lounge with a television and bar. Both were very clean, comfortable and nicely decorated.

We ate dinner on the lounge side the first night. The food was delicious and served quickly. Our waitress name was Cookie. She was very friendly.

On Sunday we had the breakfast buffet. It was very tasty and filling. They had fresh fruits. Even grapefruit wedges spooned out of its husk! There were freshly made waffles and omlets to order. A variety of meats. Scrambled eggs. Hashbrowns. Buiscuts and gravy. Oatmeal. Patries. Toasts. Cereals. Fresh juices. Coffee and tea. The waitresses cleared the empty plates and refilled drinks quickly without prompting.

CHECKOUT:
The girls in the morning were a little slow, but it seemed like they were learning to use a new computer program. Not suprising since they are now run by an independent company so I'm sure things have been changed. But they were friendly and apologetic for the wait. Also, our room bill was more than I had been quoted on the phone, when I pointed this out the clerk changed it immediately without question. This was refreshing. I did however mention to her about the cigar smell and the noise in the room but the clerk didn't seem to know what to say regarding it. She did seem new. Several times she checked with another girl about how to do the checkout. So I suppose another clerk might have offered some compensation for the negatives we brought up. Although I chose not to make an issue since we had already gotten a good deal and the service overall was wonderful.
I do hope however that they find a way to fix the two problems.

We enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Location, Customer Service and Atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Cigar odor in room and noisy air conditioning.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Quail Hollow Resort? Share your experiences!