“Friendly staff, clean hotel, ok room” 3 of 5 stars

Quail Hollow Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   11080 Concord-Hambden Road, Painesville, OH 44077   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Painesville
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Friendly staff, clean hotel, ok room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The front desk staff was great and the hotel was clean and functional. I didn't take advantage of the golf course, so not sure how that is. The rooms are fine, a little disappointing in the decor. It seems like there hasn't been an update to the room decor since the late 90's, early 00. The bathroom was clean, average bath size. We had a nice balcony. The rooms did have flat screens which indicates at least some updates to the rooms recently. The indoor and outdoor pools were great. Basically all the staff seemed very professional and helpful. The hotel seemed to be well run and clean. The lobby was nice, and the pineapple infused water in the lobby was a nice touch. I was just a bit disappointed in the room and room decor.

Overall a nice hotel, not sure the rooms would stand up to a comparison with other resorts though.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kari B, Director of Sales at Quail Hollow Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I do appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We have just recently renovated our conference center and are looking forward to future upgrades. I hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you in the near future. Please visit our website before booking, we do offer many special packages that feature our PGA rated golf course, spa services at Jack Arra’s Salon, and in house restaurant, CK’s Steakhouse.

201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Quail Hollow is an above average hotel. We stayed a week for the Senior Olympic golf completion. I think the word resort sets up high expectations, that it may or may not meet, but it certainly is great place. It is also in a super location, near restaurants and even a small gourmet food market. My favorite thing about our room was that we were able to actually open the window in our room. The hotel is in a beautiful setting, backing up to the golf course, so being able to sleep with fresh air coming into the room was an unexpected treat. My least favorite thing (and this is where the word resort may have set up a higher expectation) was that there was only one armchair in the room. With two people staying a week, an extra armchair would have made a difference. One last thing that I must mention, and almost made me give fewer stars, was the sad state of the blacktop in the parking lot. The potholes must be addressed, especially if you call yourself a resort. Overall, if back in the area, I would happily stay in Quail Hollow again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and the compliments. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay while here for the Senior Games and that you had the opportunity to enjoy our amenities and local attractions. I have passed your comments regarding the parking lot and the chairs along to management. We offer many different packages throughout the year and hope you will return in the near future.
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our anniversary. Our package consisted of taking us (via shuttle bus)to a nearby winery called Ferrante. Ferrante is a very picturesque winery in Geneva. We have been there many times. The wine is mediocre at best, but it is a fun place to go and the food is pretty good too. Our package also included 2 wine tasting trays and an app tray. After 3 hours we returned to Quail for dinner at CK's steakhouse. We had a $70.00 voucher for dinner and also a free breakfast voucher with our package. Dinner was fine, I wasn't knocked out by the seafood pasta I chose. My husband had a pretzel crusted walleye with lobster mashed potatoes, he did not finish this meal. Overall, the hotel is a little dated but it didn't matter where we were as long as we were away from the kiddos! Quail plus wine, did the job!

• Stayed July 2013
Kari B, Director of Sales at Quail Hollow Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay away from the kids! Please know that as a resort we are always looking for ways to improve upon our guests’ experience. I would like for you to come back the next weekend you are getting away as we have recently hired a new Executive Chef that is going to be doing some wonderful new things in the restaurant. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I were driving from Northern Indiana to Philadelphia and decided to get a hotel halfway. We used Priceline "Express Deals" to book what we were told was a 3.5-star hotel in the Cleveland area.

First of all, this hotel is nowhere near Cleveland. Secondly, it's not a 3.5-star hotel. Another reviewer suggested that this hotel gives significantly worse rooms to people who book on Priceline or Hotwire, and this is 100% true.

After an 8-hour drive, we arrived at the hotel around 10:30pm. We discovered that the hotel has a newer remodeled building that looked very much 3.5-star, but we were stuck in an old, run down building in the back of the complex.

Upon entering the elevator, there were Cheerios all over the floor. When we got to the room, we put the key in, pushed on the door, and fiddled with the knob for 5 minutes but couldn't get it open. My husband walked all the way over to the other building to the lobby, but no one was at the front desk. He finally CALLED the front desk after standing their for 10 minutes and a very unhelpful woman told him to "push harder."

So we pushed harder, and the door opened. The room was decently clean, but after running the AC for about two hours, we noticed that the floor around the unit was soaking wet. To add insult to injury, there was a screaming baby in the room next to us, a room our size that seemed to have 10 people staying in it and going in and out at all hours of the night.

My husband and I aren't high maintenance people nor are we difficult to please. After an 8-hour drive, all we wanted was some comfort, decent service, and the 3.5-star accommodations we paid for. But unfortunately, our experience at Quail Hollow was pretty terrible from beginning to end.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kari B, Director of Sales at Quail Hollow Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Please know that all rooms were last renovated at the same time. I apologize that you had issues with the front desk, the AC unit and that you were not pleased with the placement of your room location. I have passed the information regarding the issues with the front desk as well as the AC unit along to the department managers and can assure you that it will be addressed. As I had mentioned in the response to the previous review, our intent is never to give one guest better service or standards than to another. You are a valued guest and I hope we have the opportunity to show you what we really have to offer. If you wish to book in the future, you may contact me personally and I would be delighted make the arrangements for you.
Lorain, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed here for our son’s wedding the first weekend of July. My son had called Quail Hollow quite sometime before to get information and setup a block or rooms. Then when he and his bride to be came to Ohio months before the wedding, we went to the resort to make sure all plans were good to go. My wife and I asked the hotel if they had a shuttle bus so we could transport approx 40 to 45 people to the rehearsal dinner at a winery in the area. They told us our son had already reserved the bus for the wedding guests the day of the wedding and they would have no problem accommodating us. So we reserve it, we believed there would be no problems as this was a big resort and given that we told them the number of people they had no problem. When the time came we went to the wedding rehearsal and returned to the resort. Everyone changed and started to gather in the lobby to go to the rehearsal dinner, a van that accommodated 10 people showed up with Quail Hollow resort painted on the side. I asked the desk clerk about the bus we were told they had when we checked with them months earlier. They replied “Yes, that’s our bus just outside, the white one.” I said, “you mean the white van?” No! Was the reply, the “white bus”. Now I know what a small bus looks like and what a van looks like. It didn’t help that it just happened to be one of the hottest days of the year with temps in the 90’s and a heat index that put it close if not into the triple digits, when we got in it was so hot we asked the driver to start the van to get the air conditioner going. He did and nothing but hot air came out of the vents. It was later learned that this van has not had working air conditioning for a long time and that management was told time and time again. Then when my elderly father tried to get into the van the running board sounded and looked like it was going to fall off so he couldn’t even use it to step up. It took 4 trips to get all the guests to the dinner which had to be delayed. Now I guess or thought, no, I believed that management should have made sure that if the van they had was not working correctly they would have rented another one to insure guest comfort and safety, but NO! it appeared that this “resort” is trying to save money without concern for safety. Our daughter in law reserved the hospitality room next to and connecting to her room on the 3rd floor for Saturday so the girls and mothers could get ready for the 5:00 pm wedding Saturday afternoon. This was also done months before and without fail Quail Hollow Resort screwed that up as well. More on that later. Anyway, onto the wedding.

Once again the broken dilapidated van was used to now transport a larger number of guests to the Mentor on the lake yacht club for the wedding. And once again no thought of safety or concern was given and the air was not fixed. Why not rent another van or two to accommodate your guests, Noooooo! And once again even though we were assured months before that they had the ability to transport everyone a delay occurred. Now the wedding itself had to be delayed while guests were transported 10 at a time because of the inability of Quail Hollow Resort management to do what was needed to make sure they could hold up their statement that they had the ability to transport guests to and from the wedding without problem. If we had known of the poor judgment and false guarantees management made months before we would have called and relied on a limo service to do the job right. As it was we had to ask the limo driver for the wedding party to transport some of the guests to help us out.

Now back to the hospitality room. It appears that a (guests) and his friends saw the food and drinks in the hospitality room when they were passing back and forth. When the girls left and the door was closed a guy went down to the front desk and told them he forgot his key and gave the front desk clerk the room number of the 3rd floor hospitality room. Without questioning him or asking for ID they made him a key and gave it out. This guy and his friends ate and drank, took and smoked some of the cigars and went through everything in the room including purses that were left in what was believed to be a locked and secured room. When the girls got back they went to the front desk and asked who was in the room and told him things were missing. The front desk clerk told them he was sorry it was his mistake and that he gave the key out and he didn’t ask the person for an ID. A security guard and I’m not sure if it was another employee or shift manager went up to the room and cleaned it up while the girls watched and tried to put things in order to see what was missing. The next morning we tried to talk to the Quail Hollow Resort manager and waited for a half hour before they told us he was off property. We asked if they could contact him by cell phone and ask him to return to the property, but again we were told he was off property. I believe it was the banquet manager that finally came to the front desk. He told my son and daughter in law that they “were mistaken and that the hospitality room was reserved Saturday from 12 in the afternoon for the rest of the day by some other party and I know this because I reserved it”. Now keep in mind my daughter in law was getting ready at 3 pm in that room because the wedding didn’t start until 5. Really! Mr Banquet manager? Hello!, you reserved that room for another group at the same time as our son and daughter in law months before!! My son told the banquet manager that he was not going to pay for anything as they were still determining what was missing because Quail Hollow Resort allowed someone into their room that shouldn’t even have been in there. He also told him that he and his new bride were to be in the bridal suite their wedding night, also reserved at the same time months before and low and behold that never happened as well, they put them into a regular room. They contacted the front desk about the issue that night but were told that the resort was full and no bridal suites were available. Even booking months out means nothing to this resort, and its customer service policy if they even have one is a joke they wave around in their guests faces.

The banquet manager tried to talk his way around the problems and after keeping quiet for a long time allowing my son to handle things I got mad and finally spoke up. I told my son and daughter in law to “call the police because someone was allowed to break into their room with the help of the Quail Hollow Resort” and now they were trying to talk their way out of the problem and responsibility. The banquet manager again tried to talk around the problems and I again told my son and his wife to “just call the police and make a report of breaking and entering with the help of the resort”. Finally the manager said he would take care of some of the things. Then we found out that the bus/van that didn’t work correctly and was to be charged to my and my wife’s room as requested was charged to our son and his wife’s room. This so called resort still has the nerve to charge people for using equipment that should not have been on the road given the heat, broken air conditioning and the problems for some of the elderly and handicapped people that rode in it.

Stay away, stay far far away from this so called resort.

Room Tip: There is nothing good about this resort, stay away, far away. When a resort gives out room keys with...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kari B, Director of Sales at Quail Hollow Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Quail Hollow Resort. Needless to say, I am disappointed to learn of your poor experience with us. Please accept my apologies for the lack of service in regards to your wedding room block experience as well as the service received from the front desk and the banquet manager regarding your hospitality room. It is our responsibility to be hospitable and efficient at all times. I can assure you what you experienced was not the norm for the hotel. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this caused you. You are a valued guest and I would like to invite you to contact me personally to go over your experience in detail, so that we may get all issues resolved. Once again, I hope you can accept my apologies for any inconvenience that we have caused you and that we may be able to show you what we really do have to offer here at Quail Hollow Resort.
Thompson, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel and I felt I should review it. First, we booked it on our way to Ohio from Ct to visit family......over the phone. We arrived within a few hours expecting our reservation might have not been received or "lost". When we checked in we were greeted by a smile and a welcome. We were immediately checked in to a well maintained, beautiful room. The hotel and grounds are immaculate. I wish i could tell you that the golf course and my game were impeccable but unfortunately I didn't play while I was there. Lol. This resort knows how to treat their guests. The inddor and outdoor pools were perfectly maintained. The restaurant was excellent. I don't understand any of the negative reviews. As I said this was our second visit and it pretty much mirrored the first.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We are thrilled that we have exceeded your expectations. We do take pride in our service and feel we have a wonderful team of employees that truly care about our guests. We look forward to having you stay with us again!
Wooster, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Very disappointing!!! We stayed at QH a few years ago. As of the present it is filthy with poor service!!! Now frequented by loud annoying hill billies and kids making noise all the time. This was a huge let down!! Still a nice area. Hopefully somebody will give the so called resort some much needed TLC and train the emploess on manners!!

• Stayed July 2013
Kari B, Director of Sales at Quail Hollow Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We greatly appreciate your feedback. At Quail Hollow Resort we do strive to have great customer service as well as having quite comfortable rooms for our guests to enjoy. If you would like to contact me personally to go over your stay in detail, I would be glad to speak with you. We hope you consider staying with us again next time you are in the Cleveland area as we are certain our product and service will exceed your expectations.

Been to Quail Hollow Resort? Share your experiences!