“Really went downhill in a year!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Oxford
Columbus, Ohio
“Really went downhill in a year!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here a year ago for our son's swim meet and I thought it was fine. However, this place has really gone downhill since then. It just is not clean...the elevator has the same stuff on the dirty floor that it had when we arrived 3 days ago. The wifi is unreliable. The only thing on the bed is a sheet with a thread count of about 50 and then the bedspread. Gross. It is now 4:00 and our room still has not been cleaned which was the same thing that happened yesterday. I had to call and request housekeeping service! The toilet keeps running and I have to take the back lid of to jiggle it. The breakfast is mediocre at best. If they didn't have the waffle machine, there would be nothing decent to eat. Very disappointed as the rooms are a decent size and could be nice. The electrical outlet behind the bed is very loose and away from the wall. The refrigerator in our room was dirty on the inside too. Will not be back if I can help it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Extremely unprofessional staff! As I walked in to check in, 1 employee was on a very personal phone call that was echoing in the lobby(you couldn't see her so I guess she thought we couldn't hear), the other employee was talking to the employee that was checking me in and saying how he couldn't wait to get off work in 12 minutes and what he was going to do when he got "out of this place". The employee checking me in was in short jean shorts and a very interesting top. I was nervous handing over my ID and credit card to her! To top off the staff, I had the do not disturb sign on my door and housekeeping knocked then proceeded to walk in on me while I was in the bathroom; thankfully was closed and brushing me teeth! The entire hotel is dark and dirty. The rooms are updated however they smell damp and of smoke and the bathroom had signs of black mold. The pool was closed during our visit, the guest computers were also not working and the signs were hand written which just shows the lack of professionalism here. The breakfast was lack luster and like the rest of the hotel, dirty. The employee working the area was standing there not cleaning up the spills and crumbs left behind. I've stayed in many of Comfort Inns around the country and they should be ashamed to have this as part of their chain. I paid way too much for my stay and gladly checked in early and went to another hotel in the area for the same price. The management has a lot of work to do. We frequent the Oxford area a lot with sporting events and will be steering clear of this hotel and will certainly spread the word of caution around our very large team. Beware.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay if you would like a clean and quiet place to rest.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Edgewood, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here recently with my daughter. Overall, it's dated. Old style window unit ac that clunks. My sheets had holes in them and the blanket and comforter were seventies style gross. My biggest issue was when I saw the holes in the sheets I went to the desk the first thing the next morning and requested an "upgrade" on the sheets. So we were gone about four hours come back. Room not cleaned. Was never cleaned the first day. Second day. Asked the front desk AGAIN if my room could be cleaned first thing as I left it at 7 am Came back at noon. STILL NOT CLEAN. the head of housekeeping did finally come and personally clean my room and was extremely kind. Just seemed to take a lot to get new sheets. My daughter and I almost bought new ones at Walmart. We did buy pillows as the ones provides are small rectangles, like decorator size.

The water pressure is about the equivalent of a watering can and takes about ten minutes to heat up. The elevators did not work 75% of the time we were there. Wall plugs are scarce.

I understand this is a college town. Hotel gets a lot of wear. But basics are overlooked. One of my keys didn't work. Things like that. Again all this could be ok if I paid say $69 for the room. I paid $169 per night for this luxury. It was a total money gauge cause there was a large event in town.

• Stayed March 2013
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Comfortable bed with lots of pillows, the room was really clean. Breakfast was really good, actually better than most other hotels. Nice TVs and good sized bathrooms. Staff was really friendly and helpful. I was staying here because of work but I would stay here anytime.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jessica S, General Manager at Comfort Inn Oxford, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Seth, I would like to take a moment to thank you for your kind words. The Comfort Inn in Oxford strives to make every part of your stay amazing. From checking into your room to breakfast the next day! I hope that during your stay you were able to utilize some of our great features such as the indoor swimming pool and hot tub!
We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Oxford.
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

hey - its your basic mid-priced chain. nothing spectacular, but quite cozy. easy check-in. rooms are your standard chain room. clean, comfortable. pretty convenience work station in the room. decent breakfast. easy two-minute drive to downtown oxford. would have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jon, I would like to thank you for making the Comfort Inn your Choice Hotel when coming to Oxford. We enjoy knowing that our guests are happy with our hotel and are able to get work done comfortably at our work stations.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Sandy Springs, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Three stars just for the lack of amenities and type of hotel, but in its class, I would have given it four stars.

We have stayed at every hotel in Oxford (other than a brand new hotel that just opened and those that probably charge by the hour) and this is our favorite. While the others have their high points as well (please see our reviews of other hotels in Oxford), this one wins for a couple of reasons, the main one being that you can sleep without being awakened by the screams of rowdy college students at 3 in the morning, its next door to a restaurant, its very clean and the beds are comfortable. Now for the details:

Location: If you want to be within walking distance of uptown, this one would be a long walk. Most would drive. However, it is very close to several restaurants. Nothing much is far away in Oxford, so I would choose a hotel on other factors.

Lobby and Amenities: Not much here, but there is a breakfast area where free breakfast is provided. Don't expect more than cereal, fruit and bread, but it's not bad for free. Free internet is also included. There is a small workout facility, but it actually had some okay equipment. There is no laundry facility, but there is one located across the street. There is also a pool, though we did not use it,

Rooms: We were in room 102 and were pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious, had plenty of lighting, a small, but functional desk and a nice size bathroom (one sink, not two). It was shower only, but had shower doors instead of a shower curtain. If the room has not been used for some time it takes a little while for the hot water, but it does eventually get hot. The bed was comfortable, however the pillows are small and generally awful. We went to Wal-Mart the first day and actually purchased pillows to use rather than use what they had. The thermostat worked well and it did not take long to heat or cook the room. The television was fine.

Staff: The staff was courteous and helpful. We even got a thank you note when we left our tip on the pillow for the housekeeper.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

There was a homeless staying on the hotel. I didn't like that there were no microwave and refrigerator on the room. They didn't have a DVD player. They can do better. The breakfast is the same as all the hotels.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Comfort Inn Oxford? Share your experiences!