“Don't Pass This By” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Star Inn

Royal Star Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Orrville
Royal Star Inn
You added Royal Star Inn to your Saves list
11980 East Lincoln Way, Orrville, OH 44667   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orrville
Kansas City
“Don't Pass This By”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We needed a place to stay for an evening while awaiting a local business to open up the next day. Saw this on Trip Advisor and crossed my fingers. Had a long day of travel and called ahead at the last minute. Friendly greeting at front desk--room was very clean and tidy. Did not have a hair dryer, but front desk provided one. Small TV set, but we were not there to watch TV. Continental breakfast was adequate and the breakfast area was clean and brightly lit. Not a Marriott, but we did not expect it to be. Good nights sleep, clean room and bathroom and a fair price!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Happened upon this motel while visiting our son at the College of Wooster. Having not planned ahead for an overnight, we found all the Wooster area hotels full for "family weekend". Later in the day, after some exploring and lunch, we felt the 2-hour drive home that would occur much later in the evening (after a 7:30 start football game) would be exhausting. We spotted this little place on a side trip to Massillon, and decided to check it out on the way back. It is located on Route 30, about 10 miles east of Wooster--a little less than half way between there and Massillon.

Boy, are we glad we found this place! The Royal Star Inn is a very basic motel. It probably falls in the "one-star" category when compared to all the chains out there, but we think it was a "FOUR STAR/one-star" place! When we stopped to see about it in the afternoon, it was very quiet and the parking lot was empty. We went ahead and booked it for the $69 rate plus tax, hoping we wouldn't be disappointed with loud neighbors or unsavory characters later that night.

This is probably a good place for me to give you a bit of background. I am a business traveler and stay in 3-4 star chains like Hilton and Marriott brands on a regular basis. When we travel as a family, we usually go a bit more economical than I do for work (2.5-3 stars). However, I endlessly research every place I book before hand. I believe this is the very first time we have ever just walked into a place and booked it. We had low expectations and thought even the low $69 rate they offered would prove to be too much. I'm so glad we were wrong!

In general, everything was very clean and tastefully decorated. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient. Upon going inside to inquire about a room, I was immediately comforted by their nice lobby/breakfast area. They offer evening snacks and drinks as well as a continental breakfast in their inviting front lounge area. We missed the evening snacks because of the football game, but the continental breakfast was good. It included cold cereals, bagels, danish, toast, juice, coffee, fresh fruit, and milk. No hot choices, but adequate to get you on your way. They kept everything stocked and cleaned the counters and tables regularly. I am an RN, so cleanliness and proper precautions are important to me. I watched as the man who was at the check-out counter and also manning the breakfast station first washed his hands, donned gloves, refilled food items, then cleaned, then washed his hands again. The health department would have been proud ;-)

We had a room with 2 double beds on the second floor. It was quite roomy for me, my husband, and our teenage son. The room was VERY clean, larger than expected, and tastefully decorated. Much better than we were expecting given the type of property. Amenities included shampoo, soap, lotion, plastic cups, and a mini fridge. There was no in-room coffee maker nor microwave, but I wasn't even expecting the fridge!

The beds were clean and comfort was average--not Hampton or Marriott comfort beds with multiple pillow choices and fluffy duvets, but I have had worse in 2-star chain motels. There is a small TV mounted high (no flat screen monster on the dresser like most places have now). They did offer satellite TV though--which I was also not expecting! Lots of channels, very nice feature.

I believe they offer wireless internet in the lobby only. Probably not a good choice for a business traveler who needs frequent internet access. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel that we didn't look at or investigate at all. The outside doors and the door to your room use a KEY--like a regular key, not a keycard. Your room key opens the outside doors as well. It was very quiet for us all night long. They have signs posted in the hallways that quiet is expected after 10:30pm. We never really saw or heard anyone else until breakfast.

One negative would be the neighbors behind the hotel. It is bordered by a small, older trailer park. We didn't notice any problems or anything, but I'm sure this would turn some people off. Also, the highway out front can be busy. We didn't hear any noise outside our window which faced the back. Not sure if you would be able to hear traffic if you had a front-facing room.

So, all-in-all, we found the Royal Star Inn a very pleasant surprise! With our son being only in his first year at Wooster, I'm sure we will be back again! I must admit, had I read the previous reviews on this hotel on Tripadvisor, I probably wouldn't have ever considered it. We won't hesitate to book there again--even with it being 10 miles in the opposite direction of home when we leave.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

I love to stay here because it's convenient for my monthly meeting that I attend in the area. I always receive a friendly greeting, a clean room and a peaceful stay. The breakfast is just right to grab quickly before heading off for the day. I appreciate knowing what to expect and finding the service consistent. I recommend Royal Star Inn for these reasons.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Walking to the second floor with bags
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past. Really liked staying there until this time. We found the beds very uncomfortable and the pillows either stiff or flat. We had people on both sides of us that were loud, finally at 11:00pm I called the front desk and asked to be moved. I was told no because I had already occupied the room. I have never heard such a thing. The night manager said he would call the room next door and ask them to quiet down. I heard the phone call to the room although the guests did not quit down for at least an hour past 11pm then they were up again at 5:30am being just as loud you could even hear their TV through the walls. It was the worst night sleep I have ever had. I complained in the morning and the manager said they moved the other people after I complained, why would that be when I asked to be moved and they said no because I already occupied a room . It appears management is all about making excuses rather than have happy guests. I will never stay there again.

• Liked — The room was clean
  • Disliked — wall are thin, noisey, management did not care that we could not sleep because our neighbors were very loud.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Orrville hotels

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2007

This is a delightful and very friendly independent Inn. we stay there every quarter and love it. Our grandchildren live in Orrville so it is very convenient. Nice comp. breakfast and evening snacks.

Stayed September 2007

Been to Royal Star Inn? Share your experiences!