“Good food in an unusual bistro setting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aladdin's Eatery

Aladdin's Eatery
5 W. College Street, Oberlin, OH 44074 (Formerly aladdin)
440-774-5282
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 25 Restaurants in Oberlin
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Goldsboro, North Carolina
“Good food in an unusual bistro setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The food is defInitely good here on the corner in The downtown of Oberlin with creamy hummus and baba ganoush. In reality the baba ganoush should not be creamy but the flavor was good even if the texture was wrong.

The key attraction for me was the hummus because if you are a MIddle Eastern restaurant and you don't have a good recipe for hummus then you shouldn't be in business for long. In this case...it was definitely a good recipe without too much bite and absolutely no chick pea grit as it was blended smooooooth. Very good.

The uniqueness of the Middle Eastern restaurant is the complete lack of Middle Eastern decor in the place. I found that to be unsual. If you into a Chinese or Italian or Mexican restaurant you will see something of the area, region or country--but not here. It's as though didn't want you to think about it. Not bad. But interesting.

Also had the Kibbie and the shawarma and both were good. The slightly toasted shawarma is not authentic as I have had dozens of shawarma in the Middle East and have never come across one that is toasted until here.

Overall it was good eats and I would recommend it to a friend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good restaurant; good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My wife and I took our daughter there when we were visiting her in Oberlin in July 2012. The food was tasty and fresh, and the service was good. The hummus was particularly tasty. I had a "pitza," a pizza on toasted pita bread. I ordered one with chicken on it, and that's what it was -- toasted pita, with some grilled chicken on top. It would have been nice if it came with vegetables or something else to liven it up. The pita bread was good, but not great. All in all, a good restaurant, with an attentive waiter, with reasonable prices, but nothing spectacular.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
California
“Great waiter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We ate at this restaurant during the Oberlin College graduation weekend. My husband and daughters enjoyed their food. I didn't care for the vinegary taste of mine, but my husband enjoyed eating my meal. The dessert was good, and the waiter was very nice and friendly. This restaurant used to be a coffee shop, and I was happy to see that the restrooms were remodeled when it became a restaurant. They were clean and contemporary. The waiter, Armand, made us feel very welcome. We paid $58 for the four of us, and that included the tax and tip.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nashville
“Across from Oberlin Inn, healthy food at good prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Delicious house dressing for the salad. Signature salad makes a good light meal as do the soups. Also have chicken, lamb, etc pitas and a variety of pita-based pizzas. Large menu with basic Greek style food. So satisfying and delicious we are going back again tomorrow.

• Visited April 2012