“Updated rooms, affordable price” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Norwalk
Wheeling, West Virginia
“Updated rooms, affordable price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

About a year has passed since my last review of this motel, I have to say I have noticed some positive changes. Being a corporate client, I travel a lot. I prefer to stay the this motel when I am in the area, roughly every other weekend. The rooms are newly painted and/or re-decorated. The rooms also provide a refrigerator and microwave, which is nice to be able to eat something other than fast food. The continental breakfast also provides more options than before. The waffles are delicious, along with the fresh bagels and muffins. I will continue to stay at this EconoLodge, it's very clean and affordable. Also, I can't forget to mention that the staff is super friendly... they make you feel at home.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
norwalkeconolodge1, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
First I would like to thank you for staying with us whenever you are in town. It is nice to have all of our efforts at improving the motel recognized and many of the changes we have made could only be recognized by someone that does stay here frequently. Your taking the time to fill out a comment just helps us to know we are on the right track. We all truly appreciate you and your business and we hope to continue to serve your lodging needs in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I'd never heard of the Econo Lodge before. Cycling across the country on a budget - this place was spot on. The man on the front desk was interested in what I was doing & offered a discount for the night. It cost me just over $40. A bargain considering there was a free breakfast thrown in as well. The breakfast was great too. Nobody can complain here & I'd definitely go back again. 10/10.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
norwalkeconolodge1, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for choosing us for your stay while you were biking across the country. We use all the comments as learning tools to help us ensure each and every guest has a superior stay with us. We hope to see you the next time you bike across the country.
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I agree with the June 27, 2013 reviewer: "The motel is the old...park by your door motel." We got a recently renovated jacuzzi suite king bed room; the rooms are very small, but clean with recently painted/re-decorated walls. Frig and microwave equipped room and the matresses were very firm which is GREAT for bad backs, or after a long drive. Three relatively flat pillows provided for the king bed. Active, popular mexican restaurant next store and a Bob Evanswas two blocks down. Breakfast was "very basic" with fresh food and decent coffee. Norwalk is an area with cheaper hotels for families visiting Cedar Point; Econolodge fits that need.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
norwalkeconolodge1, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review Yes we are an older facility, and as you mentioned we are in the process of updating all of our rooms. I do apologize for the flat pillows in your room, I did check and we have put new pillows in that room (along with several others). We have added the waffle maker to our breakfast for those that would like something extra. I hope the next time you are in our area, you will again stay with us.
Elmhurst, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed a night after spending all day at Cedar Point. I thought we were going to drive a bit after the park to get away from the high Sandusky prices, but the park was too much fun and we were too tired to go far and all the higher rated and closer hotels were booked. This is about 25 minutes south of Cedar Point, but not far south of the Turnpike. It's an old motel that doesn't look very nice from the outside, but is OK inside. I might have given it 2.5 stars if that was an option - Poor seems too strict, but Average seems too lenient.

We drove up quite late at night, having just made reservations an hour or two earlier. A nice man told me he was new, and to be patient with him. He asked me if we had any discounts (AAA, AARP, etc) and shook his head sadly when I said no. I'd say the motel was over priced at what we paid, but all the Sandusky hotels were booked and they were also pretty pricey, though the exterior seemed nicer. After getting a key, we drove down a bit to our room. My family were a bit freaked out by a man sitting by himself outside his room, having a beer. It wasn't really scary, but they weren't used to a drive up motel and it was dark. Our room of course had the outside light that barely worked.

The room was pretty clean. Some cobwebs in a corner and under the heat/ac unit. A spider or two too, but it is summer and maybe that's to be expected? The AC wouldn't come on for a few hours and I couldn't figure out how to open the window (I thought maybe it was unplugged, which is why I saw the cobwebs under the unit). For some reason, I when wewoke up, the AC was now running and the room was cool. The bathroom was clean. We had a mini-fridge and mini microwave. The beds were ok, not too soft or hard. Sheets were clean. They offered breakfast but we didn't try it. I heard there was a pool, but we didn't look for it.

If I'd paid $60, I'd say this was a good buy. At $90 plus tax, it was not so great. I wish I'd just booked earlier and not been backed into a corner. That's the real tip for travelers to the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing about your stay with us. I apologize for the cobwebs you found in your room. Yes it is summer and being an outside facility we do have more than our fair share of cobwebs, however, you as our guest should never have them in your room. I have talked to all of our housekeepers and reminded them how important it is to look everywhere in the room to make sure there are no cobwebs or dirt.
Summer is our peak season and the rates do go up depending on what is happening in our area. I do hope you will give us another chance and stay with us the next time you are in our area.
grand rapids
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were very pleased with the hospitality of Dave the front desk guy at check in and through out our stay. We were dissappointed however by the beds in room, felt like sleep on a flat board...very hard and firm. Also we had the air on and it smelled like of a musty/moldy smell which prevented us from getting a good night sleep before heading to the park the next day. I felt like though the linen in the bed probably was'nt as clean as it shows either but can't complain for the price. We did try to attempt the breakfast in the morning but small selection and not that much. The positive was the pool of course which was warm and very clean!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
norwalkeconolodge1, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out this survey. I am sorry you did not find our beds comfortable. I must admit, either people love our beds or hate them. We are always looking for ways to improve the quality of stay for our guest. We just added the waffle machine to go along with our 2 kinds of cerial, donuts, muffins, toast and bagels as many of our guest wanted something hot. We are in the process of re-doing our rooms which hopefully will make the beds more comfortable for all. I do hope when you are in this area again, you will check out all of our improvements.
Freeport, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

New owners. The motel is the old motel, park by your door motel. Our room was very clean with fresh paint and carpet. Mattress was firm. A little too firm for my taste but I slept well. Pillow was soft. Towels were not plush but soft and new. Breakfast was continental. You might want to think about going out for breakfast unless cereal or a muffin/donuts is good enough. Our room was nice sized. TIP*** As they are updating rooms they are putting in a fridge and microwave. So if this is important to you, call the motel and ask for one of those rooms. Not all rooms are done. The pool is outside. It is great for the kids to splash around in. Nice deck chairs, privacy fence, nice landscaped. I was very happy with the motel for the price. Sure I hold a Hilton card also and you can't compare but this is a nice motel. My only 2 downfalls is the road noise is a little pronounced and they didn't have the air on when we arrived. It took close to 4 hours for the air to cool the room down. Might want to call ahead and have them turn it on for you. I want to thank the desk clerk. He did a fantastic job.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a fridge and microwave. You need to call the motel and ask for one of the rooms w...