“Family visitors” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in North Canton
Akron, Ohio
“Family visitors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had several family members in town for a wedding. We chose this hotel because of the location. We were pleasantly surprised at how friendly everyone was when I helped my parents get checked in. The overall look of the hotel seemed to be well maintained and the rooms were very clean and comfortable. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the king room with small miocrowave and refrigerator. This room also has a coffee pot.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
RRICanton, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Canton, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Canton Red Roof Inn. I am pleased to hear that everything went well with the wedding and your stay with us. I hope you will choose our hotel again if your travels bring you this way again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
East Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This would be my second Red Roof on a 15 day trip. Romm average size. King comfortable bed, three drawer chest, mico/fridge, cushion chair. Writing desk with swivel chair on wheels. Wall rack with six wooden hangers. A giest will have to request a mico/fridge when making reservation.

Over the bed are two 24" long lamps. Writing desk has lamp. Liggage rack. Sink area has enough space for traveling items. Coffee maker on desk. Bathroom is a bit small. A small/medium will have no problems. NO hair dryer or iron/board.

A shower.tub combo. Hot water for shower in ten seconds. Enough towels for showing, but on the medium size. Over the sink is a oval shaped mirror. Behind the mico wasca 2X4 mirror. On the chest sits a wide screen television with only 19 channels. The channels include four ESPN, two HBO and the Speed Channel.

Hardwood floors, with carpet by door and under the bed. My room was #201, second floor. I found the room very clean. Sink and tub had no hair, mold or mildue.. The floor is vacuumed, however I can't say if every day or afterr a guest checks out. All rooms oven to the parking lot, which is sufficient in size.

Check in was no problem. Each staff member I met was polite and friendly. No accents. Next to the front office is an ice and vending machine.

Breakfast is much. Walked to Bob Evans next door. Also nearby are Friendlys and Ruby Tuesday.

This Red Roof was picked because it was centrally located for the NFL Hall of Fame, Canton Classis Car Museum and the MAPS Museum.

I probably would stay again. The biggest drawback is the traffic. Inn Circle Court is off a very busily four lane street.

Jack L., Syracuse, New York.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
I appreciate the review you presented on your stay at the Canton Red Roof Inn. Your review and description will be very helpful to guests coming to the Canton area. We hope to see again if your travels bring you this way in the future.
Apollo, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Town was booked so we got a room here. It was a place to stay but bare bones. Beds were not very comfortable, small room, but close to a lots of shopping and restaurants. It was convenient to the nursing home where we visited my 92 yr. old aunt so we were grateful to have a place. It was fairly clean.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
RRICanton, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Canton, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will choose our Red Roof Inn again if your travels bring you back to Canton.
Sincerly,
Vicki Hinkle
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Nothing terrible to say, but it's okay at best. Then again, it's a Red Roof Inn, so you expect average.

Good rate. Great location. Restaurants and shops nearby, and within walking distance. So is the HOF. Need to drive to a gym; a few good ones are close.

Tiny room was a little on the dirty side. Beds a bits unkept. Short on towels. Key didn't work. A/C had a bad fan. Bathroom small for an adult. No smoking signs everywhere and yet the employees smoked everywhere, including the rooms.

Unfortunately, unless you want to spend an arm and a leg, there are not many good places to stay in Canton/Akron. Comfort Inn and La Quinta are in the same price range, and probably a bit nicer, and the Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn offer better accommodations, but are much more money. Unfortunately, the Grand Daddy, known as the McKinley Hotel, is a shadow of its former self.

With all of the decent and even good reviews, this RRI was average at best, if not below average.

• Stayed August 2012
RRICanton, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Canton, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your honesty and hope that if your travels bring you back to Canton you will choose to stay with us.
Chillicothe, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here two nights for a family wedding after reading reviews. I had encouraged my brother and sister-in-law to use this hotel also. The back building is remote as another reviewer noted. Even though it is near a mall and restaurants, the area felt "sketchy." One patron came outside to smoke and talk on his phone dressed in boxers and his unbuttoned shirt. The smoke free room smelled like smoke. Reserved for three people, but had only two towels, etc. and they looked a little dingy. We would have asked for more, but our third party had to cancel last minute. We sat at a picnic table by the parking lot and were approached by a panhandler, although that could have happened anywhere. We've stayed in a few of the other remodeled Red Roofs and were pleasantly surprised. Wouldn't stay here again though.

Room Tip: Would at least stay in front building - at least would feel safer there.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
RRICanton, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Canton, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short on providing you with an exceptional stay. It is our intent to make sure our guests are comfortable and satisfied with their room. Please let us know about your concerns right away so that we could have provided you with another location choice. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
Canandaigua, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We were staying the night after the "Warrior Dash" about 20 minutes away. This place was pleasantly clean, close to all of the chain restaurants and malls, and cheap.

I would recommend requesting a room closer to the front of the motel near the office- we were on the back side of the back building and it was a little remote. We did see the local police drive through to patrol the area, but I wouldn't have stayed on that room if I was alone.

Clean rooms (until we got there caked in mud from the run) and great big flat screen tv's.

No breakfast, no in-room coffee maker, no pool.... but what more do you need for $80 a night?

Room Tip: If you are traveling alone or female, I would recommend a room towards the front of the hotel or clo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
RRICanton, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Canton, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Canton Red Roof Inn.We appreciate your comments and would like to recommend our Superior King room for your next visit as it is our larger king room with in room coffee. We hope to see you again soon.
Sincerly,
Vicki Hinkle
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

It is common practice for hotels to preauthorize the amount of your stay when you first check in, however, this location sent through a total of FIVE preauthorizations in addition to my actual charge for a total of $840 through my bank account (a major problem because I paid w/a debit card - we don't use CC, which is becoming very common). When I went to get breakfast for myself and my kids, I had no money because RRI was holding all of it. Every preauthorization was for MORE than the cost of my room (sent in holds for over $100 when my stay was less than $80 each night).

I asked the manager to fax information to my bank releasing the holds and she agreed, but did NOT send the information I specifically told her was required. Twice. Nearly two weeks after my stay there are still holds in the amount of $419 IN ADDITION to my actual charge of $211. Several requests for the correct information to be sent to my bank have yielded no change, several calls to corporate have yielded nothing but, "I'm sorry," and, "The only thing we can do now is try to help release the holds."

Nowhere did I agree to allow them to preauthorize amounts in excess of my actual stay.

All of this ON TOP of finding some strange men's underwear in my room. Yuck.

Because RRI has not been proactive about fixing this or offering ANY kind of compensation, I have contacted both the BBB and the attorney general. I will also be contacting the local news for Canton.

The other staff I dealt with were kind and professional, and the rooms are nice as long as the air conditioning is actually on (and it wasn't when I checked in - in 90+ degree heat) and your three year old doesn't find someone else's underwear.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
RRICanton, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Canton, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Please accept my sincere apologies for any unpleasant occurances during your stay with us. As we have had many conversations concerning the credit card process and authorization holds, I believe your issues are with your card company. Please feel free to contact me directly if any additional help is needed.
Vicki HInkle

Been to Red Roof Inn - Canton? Share your experiences!