“Golden Wok Newark Ohio” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Lancaster, Ohio
“Golden Wok Newark Ohio”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Whenever my sons and I take in a concert at the Midland we slip down the alley to the Golden Wok. This is a former speakeasy from the 20-30's. The atmosphere is nice the food is really good and priced right. They have a good variety of meals with large portions. Plan on going back soon.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

% Recommend
Columbus, Oh
“Try elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Pulled in Monday 11/5 for an Ian Anderson concert at the Midland Theater in downtown Newark, Oh. Ian performed Thick as a Brick (TAAB) and TAAB2 back to back. An *EXCELLENT* show!

There is very, very, very little going on in downtown Newark on a Monday night. The nicest looking restaurant, The Chop House, was packed to the rafters and I couldn’t get in. So I asked some locals about the (literally) hole in the wall Chinese restaurant halfway down the alley. Some locals said they haven’t eaten at the Golden Wok but that “it’s an institution, it’s been there 40 years. It’s got to be good!!”

Well I believe it’s been recently bought. I think my receipt said The New Golden Wok.

I love hot and sour soup. I didn’t even eat half my bowl. The shrimp lo mein did indeed have several large firm shrimp. That’s about all it had going for it.

What I mean by hole in the wall halfway down an alley:

• Visited November 2012