“Fourth trip here, we love it!” 5 of 5 stars

Cherry Valley Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2299 Cherry Valley Road, Newark, OH 43055   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newark
Columbus, Ohio
“Fourth trip here, we love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We have been to Coco Key/Cherry Valley Lodge four times now, as it is only a half hour away from us. We generally go on a Sunday night, so we can't comment about other nights in terms of how busy it gets, but when we go it's relaxing. The rooms are nice and spacious, nice TV's and the heat/ac system works great as well. The courtyard in between is just beautiful and romantic. The waterpark is enjoyable, especially for our six year old son. We can't comment on the restaurants on site as we have not tried them. The staff is always friendly. The only issue we have had with this hotel is when we go down to get our waterpark passes, there are usually people checking in to the hotel at the waterpark desk (which you are able to do there, as well as the front desk) making the wait to get our wristbands longer. Although annoying, being this is the only issue we have, we have stayed here four times and will be back in the future.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

I had stayed here a number of years ago with my son, then 8, and thought I must come back here with my husband. We did, there is nothing to say but it has gone downhill. There are not enough people at the front desk, only one to handle check ins, phones and questions from guests. This was true during our two day stay. We were assigned a room at the end of one wing. As we walked down it you could feel the a/c just go off at one point. There was no a/c or fan in our room. After having been told it was the last room in the hotel. No questions asked the person at the desk handed us a key to an upgraded room and thankfully the a/c was working. The rooms are ok...but the accessories have been replaced with cheap pillows, blankets, towels and sheets. Only 3 small pillows for a King sized bed.

One staff member told me it went bankrupt a number of years ago, a group purchased, added a water park but have invested nothing in keeping up the rest of the hotel. Very soft beds. They do have internet access available but it is very slow.

We did not try the water park so can't comment. But if you are looking for the romantic getaway they appear to offer on their web site, look further. Cherry Valley is no longer worth the price. We won't be returning.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Eastpoint, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

THe hotel was Clean and well kept the outside area was well kept and peaceful first thing in the mornings . The staff was very helpful again I do not travel much but was very pleased with the Cherry Valley Lodge.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Heath, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I booked 2 rooms and got the water park package which included 8 water park tickets. First off, I paid cash, the check in girl rolled her eyes and was rude when I ask for a receipt, that should have been the first clue that the place had gone downhill since I was there last. The lobby was decent but the 2 rooms smelled like dirty, wet, molded rotten carpet. The bed was horrible, you lay down and the whole bed falls in. The water park area and in pool was dirty, hot tub inside and outside were filthy, big piles of cigarette butts by hot tub outside, looked like it hadn't been cleaned since last spring, inside hot tub had an inch of dirt looking stuff on bottom. My 2 grand kids and 3 other teenagers are all sick after swimming there. I would never go again, and most certainly not recommend the place to anyone! Also when we went to leave there, the parking lot is so unkept I couldn't even get into my car because the drains in lot didn't drain, there were actually ducks swimming beside my car, not what you expect from an "upscale" Hotel. This used to be a nice place to stay but now it is run down and neglected.

Room Tip: Go some place else
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Newark hotels

Ashland, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

We just went for the 4th to 5th time in the last 3 years. Each time we go we are a little more disappointed. This time, the first day we went it was cold in the water park and the water was cold but we got through with trips to the hot tub to warm ourselves and the children up. I asked one of the life guards if this was unusual and his response was "it is either so hot your uncomfortable or so cold your uncomfortable." The next day the air was cold and the water was FREEZING! Our friends 5 year old, who is a skin little guy, spent most of the time in the hot tub to keep from shivering. I could only stand to do the water slide and lazy river for 10 mintues after my 6 year old begged me to join her. It was nothing like the "84 degree weather all year round" that their web site boasts.

I did not say anything to management about this while we were there for 2 reasons. First, based on the fact that the water got colder from one day to the next, I did not believe that it was going to be a quick fix to have warmer water considering the quantity of water being used. Second, after our stay over New Years this year I responded to the survey email I was sent. I made it very clear I was unhappy for different reasons with our stay. I've never gotten any acknowledgement of our dissatisfaction.

I've gotten to the point that I believe we will be trying other water parks.

As for the hotel itself...
The front desk staff are not welcoming and friendly. They are helpful when they need to be. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. The room was clean. The beds and pillows are not comortable. The swivel TV is nice. Parking is not great by doors other than the main entrance due to the day pass visitors.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

We stayed here one night with a coco key water resort package. We thought the lodge and grounds were unique and lovely. We stayed in a king room with the sofabed. Rooms were clean and spacious enough for what we needed. Swivel tv is clever use of space. The beds are a little too soft for my liking and had a hard time getting comfortable, but would stay again. However I would request a second floor room...the people above us were super loud jumping and running until 1am. Security took care of it.

Waterpark...This was our first time at an indoor waterpark. First impression was good. I think it's perfect for 4-12 year olds. There's just enough for the kids to do and not too overwhelming or crowded. Bring your own towels...the ones provided are kids size and very small. It's drafty by the entrance so prepare yourself for a slight chill. Only suggestion...larger changing areas. We'll visit again when our kids are a little older.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
columbus,oh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

If Cousin Eddie from National Lampoons Vacation Movies series ran a hotel and water park this would be it.
Positive: Room has lots of towel and one front desk worker was friendly.
Negatives:
Parking near your room. Forget about it. All spaces taken up by Waterpark Day Pass(People not staying at hotel) users. They parked everwhere. Fire Lanes, Handicap Spaces,etc. Watch out for people pushing baggage carts full of natural light and Busch beer cases. The baggage carts never were seen except for hauling beer to rooms.
Want to get into the hotel?-Sorry, you'll have to pound on a door, doors having issues. Employees know about but cant fix it.
Hallways- Watch out- Old room service trays,plates, and silverware scattered everywhere. No one picked it up while we were there.
Sleep- It quieted down after 1am when the drunks stopped screaming in the hallways
Hotel condition- They were trying to keep it clean but hotel is run down. Furniture is old everywhere. Paint peeling. Wood unpainted. Basically hotel was built cheap and after 18 years its getting run down.
Food- Sky high prices. Go to Bob Evans for Breakfast and Texas Roadhouse for Dinner-Both down the road.
Employees-Except for some friendly housekeepers, every other employee was complaining about working.
Customers- 95% of the people were turning their rooms into party palaces. Drinking and Partying. Families brought 10 people and put them in a single room with sleeping bags.
Hotel Pool was jam packed with drinking and eating. Area was trashed. Most customers seemed to be like Cousin Eddie and family.
Waterpark-Small- Jam Packed Satruday. They sell numerous day passes to outsiders. You find a corner and throw your stuff down. Chairs and tables?, forget about it. Sunday was a little better. Towels, Out of them all day. Have to wait twice in line to get waterpark wristband. Drinks? 1 Waterdowned drink and bottle of beer, $14.25. Food was high cost too.
Hotel and waterpark is scheduled to be auctioned in the next week or two. Maybe the new owners will be able to fix this place up. Right now I think the hotel in in foreclosure proceedings. This place needs a major rehab. Other waterparks may be a better idea to visit.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Cherry Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!