“For Hikers with Imagination!” 5 of 5 stars

Ravenwood Castle
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   65666 Bethel Rd., New Plymouth, OH 45654   |
Ranked #1 of 1 New Plymouth B&B and Inns
Shaker Heights, Ohio, United States
“For Hikers with Imagination!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a real fun place to stay at and romantic as can be. Pick a suite with a jacuzzi and your after-hike bath will be memorable indeed! Probably really fun for kids, too; but for them a cottage might be more appropriate!

Room Tip: Empress Matilda suite has its own throne (and not the porcelain one)!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Background: Having stayed away for several years, I looked up Ravenwood again on a whim. I was surprised to read their website and to find that they were under new ownership and management. I was even more surprised to read up on some of the changes that the new owners were adding- such as themed weekends and gaming getaways. I was even more pleasantly surprised to find that Shadow Stalkers were doing Murder Mystery weekends again after a hiatus of several years. Since our last stay several years ago was at one of these Murder Mysteries, I jumped at the first cancellation announced so that we could go back and do this again.

Lodging: We booked the Clock Tower and were looking forward to having the roomy cottage to ourselves. Unfortunately, when we arrived we discovered that it was unavailable due to frozen pipes. We were given the choice of another room and a price discount and ended up staying in the Queen Elizabeth room, which we had stayed in before. We were, of course, only charged the reduced rate with a 10% discount. While we were disappointed by not getting our original cottage for the weekend we found that staying in the Castle during one of these murder mysteries on a very cold weekend is actually quite convenient. On the plus side, we were close to breakfast, dinner, all of the puzzles and clues, etc. On the negative, if you are an early riser, like me, you have to wait for the cook to arrive and make coffee and soak in the whirlpool with a good book for a few hours. Also, it's a castle so walking around makes noise for those below you. On the whole, since we shaved about $200 off of the weekend's expenses I didn't have too much to complain about.

Food: We had two dinners and two breakfasts at the Castle and everything we ate was delicious. One of the best additions from the new management is the ability to purchase soups and sandwiches during the day. The beer and cheese soup especially was very yummy.

The Murder Mystery: I highly recommend attending one of these weekends, but they sell out quickly so book early! I don't know of any other experience of this type anywhere within driving distance. It's an awesome way to escape from reality and yourself for a couple of days and it's affordable! Denham and his crew have puzzles everywhere and it's great to test your brain in a way that doesn't feel like work.

It seems that the new owners are coming up with lots of good ideas for weekends and events. I can't wait to see what they come up with next. I will definitely be keeping my eye on the event calendar to find the next excuse we can find to come back.

Room Tip: For privacy, get a cottage, but the castle is also a unique experience.
Columbus, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed in the Silversmiths Cottage and it was sooo cute! The upstairs is the master suite and is huge. The heart shaped tub is much larger than the pic looks. It was great after a day of hitting the trails. People were friendly and when we asked for help cleaning up webs in our cottage they came right away to do it. Bed was comfortable. Food was very good too. If you look closely to cleanliness, as I do, you will find deep cleaning needs, such as walls, doors, windowsills and ceilings, but the basics were very clean. I think it may be our new weekend away spot!

Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My wife and I had wanted to stay at Ravenwood for a long time. We saw a deal pop up on Living Social and after reading the positive reviews on the new owners and innkeepers, we decided to make the trip. We were NOT disappointed!

We stayed in the King Arthur suite and it was wonderful! We loved that it was next to the Great room, yet secluded away from the other rooms. There was a balcony that overlooked the garden as well. It had a working easy-to-use fireplace downstairs and a giant king bed upstairs. The mural on the upstairs wall was a nice touch! There was also a nice marble chess set on the table downstairs (as you can probably tell by now, the King Arthur suite has 2 floors!). The bathroom was clean and the whirlpool tub was big! There were couches and chairs both upstairs and down, so plenty of places to stretch out.

The innkeepers were gracious and super-nice folks! They were always present if you needed anything, and would always check on you if they saw you. We enjoyed the conversations and it was nice to see a family taking care of the place, not just co-workers. Steve was very much in communication with us during our visit as well as when booking our reservation.

We had dinner and breakfast there as part of our stay. The food was served buffet-style, but do not think that means it's processed, it is not! The food was homemade and excellent! We talked about the orange spiced ham for 2 days lol There was also plenty of food and you couldn't leave there hungry if your tried. We met the chef in the morning during breakfast and she was very friendly and kept making us eat more lol There was another family of travelers staying there as well, so we all sat at the same giant table for dinner and enjoyed some friendly conversation. Overall it was a great experience!

My wife and I travel a LOT for both work and leisure. We stay at B&B's all over the place. We will definitely be returning to Ravenwood, hopefully in the Fall! The castle is set atop a big mountain in the woods. Very appropriate and beautiful.

As for suggestions or "cons", I don't have much. Possibly a clock radio? There is very little cell service there (not a con at all, the seclusion was nice plus we could still make calls out more often than not, Verizon Wireless) so I had my phone powered off quite a bit to save the battery. I needed it to check the time and set an alarm in the AM. The only other suggestion we had was maybe adding the typical small assortment of bath products that you find in most places. (mini shampoo, conditioner, etc...) That was the only thing we weren't prepared for. Again, not a deal breaker.

Also, and this is NOT a reflection on Ravenwood itself, but the county is a dry county so there are no liquor sales on Sunday, meaning the pub is not open. The innkeeper gave us the heads-up when making our reservation, so we came prepared with a couple of bottle of wine. Not an issue at all!

Overall, we had a great time and look forward to coming back again! Recommended for sure!

Room Tip: Our only stay so far has been in the King Arthur suite. It was a wonderful and spacious room with m...
Centerville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Great room, great food! Only one negative, It had snowed and the looong driveway was almost impassable. Took 3 tries to get up the hill. Reservations and follow-up was very good. Would be a great place for a group of friends as well.

Room Tip: The Shakespeare Suite was awesome.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was looking for somewhere to take my wife for a surprise anniversary, but I didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money flying somewhere. While searching for places within a few hours from Cincinnati I completely lucked out and ran across Ravenwood Castle.

We ended up staying in the Merchant's Cottage, and had an incredible anniversary. Not only is the property amazing, but the location is perfect since it is so close to Hawking Hills. And the icing on the cake is that everyone working at Ravenwood is so nice. We spent time talking the the lady who cooks breakfast, we were shown around the different cottages by the lady who cleans, and we stayed up late into the night playing board games with the manager of the castle.

I cannot recommend Ravenwood Castle highly enough!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Merchant's Cottage and absolutely loved it. Just make sure to check out the dif...
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband and I drove up from Cincinnati on the weekend just before Christmas to celebrate our anniversary (12/22). I had stumbled on to the existence of this castle while frantically trying to come up with some unique, romantic way to spend our anniversary weekend. The night before our arrival a storm hit that continued through our day of travel. It affected Cincinnati as well, but only with ice. At Ravenwood, it brought snow. Not a massive amount, a couple of inches, but enough to make me a little aprehensive. We arrived later than we originally planned, around 7, and it was already dark (and still snowing a little). The trek up the drive was a little daunting, given the snow and ice, but my husband kicked in the 4 wheel drive and loved every second of it, and for me it added to the intrigue.... As we reached the top, the castle came into view. It was just LOVELY. The snow just made it that much more beautiful. We checked in, got our keys, and went to settle into our room. It was decorated just perfectly. We really felt like we were in another world. SO ROMANTIC. Great big beautiful king size bed, fireplace, 2 person jacuzzi tub, gorgeous stained glass windows - we were in heaven. But we were excited to explore the castle, so we unloaded our things and headed back over.The weekend we stayed, it was only us and one other couple, which we found to be very nice - very intimate. We were so impressed with castle. Every corner you turned brought you a space that was more interesting and beautiful than the last. We had a few drinks in the Raven's Roost Pub, chatted up the inn keepers - GREAT FOLKS, btw - then settle into our room for the night. Woke up to the morning light shining through the stained glass windows on Saturday. Breakfast was delicious. We headed out for the day, exploring Ash Cave and Cedar Falls. Breathtaking with the ice and snow. Came back in time to get ready for our dinner reservations at the castle (our anniversary dinner). The food was fantastic - and there was PLENTY of it!
Our stay was everything we hoped it would be, and then some. The castle is beautiful and unique - and provides such a romantic atmosphere! I can easily see how kids might love it too - it is a fantasy brought to life. I feel so lucky to have stumbled upon it. This was our best anniversary thus far. (See photos - lots of detailed pictures, particularly of Cinderella's Coach House, The Great Hall, and the Fairy Tale Village.)

Room Tip: We stayed in Cinderella's Coach House, but the inn keeper was gracious enough to give us tour...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ravenwood Castle? Share your experiences!