“Find a rare gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 14 Millersburg B&B and Inns
Victoria, Canada
“Find a rare gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Every once in a while, one finds a rare gem of a place for peace and relaxation. After 4 stays at Honey Run it is still one of my favorite places to stay and I will be returning for more visits. The Trillium cottage is more like a small palace than a cottage. My friend and I had the opportunity to be there during a spectacular thunderstorm--what a show! This delightful "cottage" has a fireplace, deck, full kitchen, bedroom, and another room with a jacuzzi tub. We have also stayed in two different rooms in the lodge--again, these rooms are designed for peace and relaxation with comfortable furnishings as well as lovely peaceful music. The only drawback to staying in the lodge is that some rooms have only large skylights, but no windows. The grounds are wonderful places to walk about with many different kinds of birds and wildflowers. All of the meals we have eaten in the restaurant have been of fine quality with a good selection of wines. Intially, we were disappointed with the slow service, but after calling this to William, the host's, attention he more than made up for it on our next visit--making sure that we had the window table as requested and that we had excellent service from Kelly and Alli. The key to good service in the restaurant is finding the right place to be seated. We have had both facials and massages at the spa from Ken and Tony. Both therapists do a great job. We are looking forward to staying in the honeycombs during our next visit.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the lodge, you may want to ask for one of the rooms that has windows.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

The drive there is rural. The city of Millersburg is quaint. The Inn is set in the forest. It has trails that are great for walking/hiking on. Loved the setting. The rooms were nice but in need of some updating. The food in the restaurant was tasty but the service slow. Seemed that they needed one more person to wait tables. Overall a good stay, would go back again.

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I've stayed with the Inn at Honey Run for 20 years or so. Not much has changed since then, but that's not always such a good thing. I've stayed three times in the last year and a half; once in the honeycombs, and twice in lodge suites. All need bathroom upgrades - they look like they were installed in the 70's. The furniture and mattresses were hit or miss. We stayed in the largest suite (Serenity I believe) and the couch was incredibly uncomfortable, but the mattress was very good. The Honeycombs room was the same, mattress good, chairs were awful. The other suite was the opposite, bad mattress, good chairs. The main reason we go is to relax and do next to nothing, and that's not easy to do if you're uncomfortable.

All that said, the staff was friendly and helpful. I think we'll wait to stay there again until some upgrades are made. The grounds are lovely, and hopefully the restaurant will be under new management before long so we can enjoy that again too.

Btw, the honeycombs do not have any internet connectivity, and the lodge has very limited capacity. You cannot stream live or download media files. Funny that this would be a consideration now as when we started coming here they didn't even have TVs in the room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Cleveland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

This was our third trip to Honey Run in the past three years and the second time we stayed overnight. We brought another couple with us with the promise of a surprisingly great restaurant in a quaint rural setting, and a charming inn. The setting did not disappoint but the restaurant sure did.

On our previous trips (Feb and September 2009) our dining experiences were delightful, from the creative and delicious food to the wonderful service. On the September trip there were four other couples with us and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal. This time, and we brought another couple with us, we began with no greeting by the maitre'd who seemed hurried and annoyed as he seated us. The Caesar salads were lacking any dressing and the parmesan sprinkled on them was hard little "sticks" devoid of any taste. The mushroom risotto had about three little mushrooms on top. Our other entrees were decent - but not the gourmet fare we had before. Our service was good but sadly this changed the next morning at breakfast.

The same unpleasant maitre'd was there again, obviously he did not get a good night's sleep because he was still unwelcoming and seemingly annoyed. The four of us opted for the continental breakfast included with our room - juice, pastries, coffee, fruit and either oatmeal or yogurt/granola. Service was non-existent with the restaurant only about half full. It took forever to get the first cup of coffee - longer to get any refills. The fruit plate was served somewhat promptly but it a very long time for the cereals. We did not get juice until we asked for it again after the cereal came. One of our party never did get the gass of water she requested. The oatmeal was stone cold. This was their basic "continental" that came with the rooms - how hard it is to keep a pot of oatmeal warm and serve it promptly? Our waitress displayed an attitude when we flagged down another to get a coffee refill. (The waitress who refilled our coffees however was quite pleasant.)

And I must comment on our Honeycomb room...on the September 2009 trip - we stayed in the Cardinal Cottage and loved it. Some others in our party were in the Honeycombs and we thought they were charming so we opted for those this time. While they were still charming, some of the charm was of the shabby chic nature. The room clearly needed a coat of paint - there were marks and even gouges in the walls, the furniture had marks and the bathroom had marks on the walls. This is too rundown for a $259/night Select Registy Property

Will we go back - I don't think so.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Valley City, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

My wife and I had a very pleasant stay at The Inn at Honey Run this October. The inn tried in every way to make our stay pleasant and comfortable. It is a very quiet inn with a nice breakfast(included) in the morning. For an additional charge, you may wish to order off the breakfast menu. Please try the apricot and cranberry scones which are made at the inn, fantastic! My wife and I made dinner reservations one night while at the inn. We both agreed that our meals were excellent. This was our second stay that The Inn at Honey Run and we are planning to come back for a third time. Try to plan a getaway in October, the fall colors around the inn are fantastic.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

We just got back from the Inn at Honey Run. It was a beautiful, quiet place. There were no children on the property and most of the guests were in their 60s (fine with us). The main lodge was well kept and clean (except the restaurant - more about that later). Someone spent a lot of time decorating for a fall harvest scheme (gourds, corn stalks, pumpkins, straw bales). The hotel staff was very nice - they never mentioned our "Living Social" deal except to make sure we understood how the credit was applied to the bill. There were sheep and goats on the property, and occasionally you will see an Amish buggy on the main road. The entire facility is non-smoking indoors. They do allow smoking on the balconies and other outside areas. This is NOT the place to go if you're looking to be entertained on-property. It is more of a quiet retreat than a hotel. I would NOT bring children here unless you have activities planned off-property. They WILL be bored! It is about 15 minutes into Berlin or Millersburg to go shopping or find other restaurants. There are literally hundreds of Amish Country attractions nearby. I had a strong 3G signal on my Verizon phone, my wife's AT&T phone had NO signal in the Millersburg/Berlin area AT ALL! (We turned them off anyway - this place is perfect for a complete disconnect!).

Our room was immaculate! The housekeeping staff was in and out in just a few minutes, yet left everything in perfect condition. It reminded us of the service you get on a top-of-the-line cruise ship. They even left us little cookies and folded our towels into decorative shapes.
The Honeycombs were built in the 90's and had a sort of a 70's "rustic cabin" feel (like Mike Brady built an Irish Countryside Home). They are designed to provide a romantic getaway for a couple. They are built into the hillside and each has a semi-private balcony overlooking a valley with livestock and an Amish Farm in the distance. There was an "instant-on" gas fireplace which was nice because the nights were a little crisp. There is also a very efficient heating/AC system, but where is the romance in that? There was a small fridge with complimentary bottled water, a little Keurig coffeemaker with K-cups of coffee and tea, a 30" flat screen HDTV with 30 satellite channels, a small CD player with a bird-song CD, and a jacuzzi tub/shower. Another reviewer said the showers were small, but they were a standard-sized (60"x34") jacuzzi tub/ shower. There were luxury robes and courtesy umbrellas provided for all guests in the Honeycombs. There was a bird feeder right outside our room that was apparently re-stocked daily. There were board games and puzzles available in the common area for guests to use. Contrary to the literature in the room and the front desk staff, there is Wi-Fi in the Honeycomb suites, but there is a warning that you are not to stream movies or other entertainment. PUT THE COMPUTER AWAY AND PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR MATE AND NATURE!!! LEAVE THE TV OFF AND TAKE A HIKE!!! :)

We had a one hour couples massage at the spa. It was relaxing and the masseuse and masseur were very professional and quite personable.

Our only complaint with the room - the mattress was getting old and was slightly bowed. There was a very thick pillow-top placed over the mattress, but the bow was still noticeable if you slept on your back. Luckily we're side-sleepers. I mentioned it to a housekeeper on the way out and she said they were aware of it and it would be taken care of soon.

Now, for the restaurant:
We were really excited about our anniversary dinner at Tarragon! We had read a lot about it on the website. We had a dinner reservation for our second night's stay, but we arrived late on our first night and didn't want to go off-property to find a restaurant. There was plenty of seating available that night, so we decided to "preview" Tarragon. As we were seated, my wife noticed a beautiful Orb Spider web in the open rafters of the room. Then we noticed that there were spider/cob webs on ALL of the rafters. Some were quite large and dust covered. They didn't really bother us, but it was so out of place - the rest of the property was immaculate!
The restaurant holds approximately 40 people. There were approximately 20 people seated while we were there. The largest party was a table of six. There were four waitresses working, all of whom seemed "flustered" like it was extremely busy and they were understaffed. They "ran" from table to table trying to wait on patrons, but they were extremely inefficient. They seemed to only be able to handle one task at a time. I don't think that a 5-1 ratio required that level of distress. There were no salt and pepper shakers on our table, the bread was served without butter, no ice water after asking several times (it never did arrive).

I had the Scallops (recommended by the waitress), my wife had the Roasted Chicken. The scallops were pan-seared with a dusting of pepper, and served on a large potato pancake ringed in a citrus sauce. The scallops had no real flavor and were extremely sandy (a cold salt-water soak on live scallops or purchasing better quality "dry-pack" scallops will usually fix this), and the pancake was soggy, limp (it needed 3 more minutes in the pan) and bland. With a dish like this, the sauce makes it or breaks it, since the scallops and pancake are naturally kind of plain-tasting. This sauce (orange marmalade?) was what I imagine an Angostura Bitters reduction would taste like. It was so bitter as to be inedible; I ate around it. The dish REALLY needed something else. My wife's chicken was just "OK" - plain roasted chicken- no sauce, no special rub, no imagination - just chicken.

I guess my real complaint is that nothing really stood out. When I spend $100+ on dinner (not counting alcohol and tip) I expect at least one "oh, wow!" experience. (I don't consider $100+ TOO expensive, we regularly spend in excess of that amount.) I did forget to mention - the asparagus and the Crème Brule were quite good, but they didn't make up for the plain entrees. After dinner I made some "recommendations" to the maitre de about the dinner (I was nice- honest! I wasn't going for an adjustment on the check). He expressed real disappointment and said the scallops were their most ordered dish. I pointed out that the waitresses were "selling" them and asked how many people came back and ordered them AGAIN. As we were leaving, a waitress (not ours) laughed and said "No one I've ever seen" to me as she went into the kitchen. I cancelled the reservation for the next night and we went into town for our anniversary dinner.
On the bright side, breakfast the next morning tasted great, but the waitresses were again in a disarray. No butter for the pancakes, the eggs were wrong, no creamer for the coffee, gave me regular instead of decaf, my wife asked for cream cheese three times before giving up and settling for butter on her bagel. When the butter came out it was frozen (it was 10AM, no one else had asked for butter all morning and no thought to take it out of the freezer?). Again, it was not busy and there were multiple wasted trips back and forth to the kitchen. Don't get me wrong - they were SO nice, but disorganized. Oh- our friend the spider had built a brand new web! Well, we went there for some nature!
Long story even longer:
Wonderful Resort - GO THERE!
Avoid the restaurant until some changes are made.

Room Tip: For a romantic getaway, reserve a Honeycomb!
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Recently stayed in one of the honeycomb rooms, had a wonderful experience. We sat out on the patio after dark and listened to the sounds of owls, cows and the clippity clop of horse and buggies. The blankets and luxe robes kept us warm, then we came in and warmed up by the fireplace. Loved the continental breakfast in the lodge, but also suggest you bring additional Keurig coffeepods if you want more than one cup of coffee in the room--the Keurig pots make it so easy! Also loved watching the birds at the bird feeders in the morning. Wonderfully comofortable beds. We will be back!

Room Tip: Loved the 1st floor honeycomb rooms, great views.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Inn at Honey Run? Share your experiences!