“In a pinch, but not our first choice” 2 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Milan Sandusky
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11303 US Rt 250 North, Milan, OH 44846   |
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Milan
Central Illinois
“In a pinch, but not our first choice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This Red Roof is very conveniently located to Cedar Point which was one of the reasons we chose it. The other reason was that they normally give my husband's company a hefty discount, but as it turned out, they did not honor the discount. The motel is ready for an update--and for all their fuss about their special linens, we were not impressed with the quality or comfort of their linens. The sheets were thin. The blanket came up to my waist and the bedspread was fitted which made it nearly impossible to stretch out. We had to unmake the whole bed before sleep was possible. There was mildew around the grout in the bathroom and even with the A/C on the humidity in the room stayed high--probably from the indoor pool nearby. We used to travel with a dog, so I appreciate their pet friendly policy but as I was searching the floor for stray sox as we were getting ready to leave, I found dog poo in the corner under the table. That was a deal breaker. We are returning to the area in the fall, but it won't be to this Red Roof.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Great room at a good price. Rooms were clean, beds were just right. Rooms came with hair dryers, and iron with ironing boards (missing at several Red Roof Inns we stayed in this trip). Continental breakfast provided. Staff very friendly and made us feel welcome. We love Red Roof Inns pet policy, no extra charge for a pet in the room. We think its the best reason to stay a Red Roof Inn. Affordable and clean.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
643Red, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Milan Sandusky, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear VLouis12,

Thank you so very much for your review of our hotel during your recent stay! I am so happy that we provided you with the nicest Red Roof Inn of your trip! We take pride in our hotel and like to make sure every guest that stays with us is happy and comfortable. Yes, your four-legged family members always stay free with us at Red Roof Inn. I hope to see you again when travelling in our area.

Thanks again,
Hotel Management
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

We rented 2 rooms. Room 124 had pubic hairs in bathroom. Room 122 had Roach inside of window. Staff wanted to give me 10% of my money back. Waiting to hear from the manager. Beds were terribly hard. We slept in clothes. It was a horrible experience. Never again...

• Stayed October 2012
643Red, Front Office Manager at Red Roof Inn Milan Sandusky, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear sstayer123,

Ms. Stayer, I am so very sorry for your recent bad experience at the Sandusky/Milan Red Roof Inn. I felt horrible that your stay was anything but satisfying. I spoke with you on Saturday evening October 13 regarding your stay, so I am very confused as to why you said you are waiting for the manager to respond. As I said on the phone to you, my staff only has authority to offer you 10% discount on the stay which is why my front desk clerk left me a message with your name and number to call you. Since I work evenings, I did not come in until 4pm that day. I called you by 6:30pm that evening after speaking with my head housekeeper and the two desk clerks that worked on Friday evening. Then after speaking with you, I decided to give you greater compensation than 10%. I take guest complaints very seriously and investigate each one. In this case, the bug in questions is not a roach, but a box elder bug, common to this area and dense wooded areas. Since our hotel is near a wooded area, during the fall months, we usually see an increase in them. The housekeepers know how to remove them (they are best killed by being vacuumed up). I spoke with my staff and they all know to be more diligent when cleaning the rooms. It is always my hope that every guest that stays with us is taken care of and has a restful night's sleep. I do hope after our talk on Saturday that you will reconsider us at the Sandusky/Milan Red Roof Inn to give us another try to show you that we can do better!

Thanks for bringing these issues to my attention! We hope to be of service to you in the future! If there is anything I can assist you with in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me at (419) 499-4347.

Steve
Front Desk Manager
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel was very inexpensive, You get what you pay for. The rooms were clean but very old. Our bed was very soft they need to update there rooms The did have an okay breakfast bar. The staff was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
643Red, Front Office Manager at Red Roof Inn Milan Sandusky, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of the Sandusky/Milan Red Roof Inn. We appreciate the kind words about our breakfast and staff. I am glad you had a good night's sleep in our beds. I am sorry that you found our Red Roof Inn outdated. We updated with new chairs in the guest rooms and new bedspreads last spring. We also painted the interior of our hotel last spring and remodeled our indoor pool room this past winter. We have also renovated our exercise room in the hotel to include more equipment that our guests can enjoy.

I hope to see you at Red Roof Inn if you are ever back in our area!
Hamilton, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

If you want luxury accomodations, this is not the place for you, but if you need an affordable, clean, and VERY quiet place to stay while in the Sandusky area, look no further. When we booked our room, we requested a rollaway, but when we checked in, we were told that we had been given a room with a sleeper sofa. Worked for us! When we went to set it up into a bed, the blankets from the last people were still folded up in it. We called down to the front desk and the woman working was extremely nice about it and immediately brought up new bedding for us. In the end, my stepson ended up folding it back into a sofa and slept on it that way because it wasn't very comfortable as a bed, but he said he slept good, so all was well with that.

We all slept very well, and didn't hear a peep out of any of the other travelers. The staff here is wonderful and kind. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
643Red, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Milan Sandusky, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Red Roof Inn Milan, OH! We appreciate the kind review and I am certainly glad you enjoyed your stay. Whenever we have a room with a sofa bed available, we do try and offer those in place of a rollaway bed, since they are a bit more comfortable. I am sorry that there were sheets in the sofa bed. We do not make the sofa beds up before renting a room, but do provide fresh, clean linens in the credenza drawers for the sofa beds. At any time, a staff member can provide assistance in setting up a sofa bed. In this case, I am happy that the desk clerk was able to provide you with a fresh set of linens. I do hope that we see you again when travelling in the area. Thanks again for your review!
Pasadena, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I chose this hotel based on suggestions from locals on a Cedar Point related website. It was exactly what I wanted - a cheap place to stay for our week long visit to Cedar Point. If you are super picky or high maintenance, I'm sure you could find things to pick on, but I found it perfectly acceptable. The outside of the hotel is nothing special - again, just a basic place. There is a gas station, Subway, McDonald's, and Dunkin Donuts within walking distance of the Red Roof. Along Rt 250 to Cedar Point there is every single restaurant and retail store you can imagine (including a Wal-Mart and Target). The drive to the park is about 20 minutes, which I was willing to live with for the $50 per night price. It is just a few blocks farther out than pricier Sandusky hotels, yet it is probably comparable to most of them at half the price (not including the resorts of course). The hotels/motels located right outside the park entrance looked kind of trashy.
Our room at the Red Roof was basic, relatively clean, and comfortable. Beds were firm but perfectly comfy. We brought our own pillows so I can't comment on those. Everything worked well in our room. Toilet and shower are separate from the sink area, which makes it easy for one person to do hair, make-up, shave, etc. while the other is showering. Bring your own soaps and shampoos. The ones the hotel supplies aren't the best. Towels are typical hotel towels - thin and not too soft. Complimentary breakfast is included (runs until 10AM). It is one area which could use improvement. The eating area is large but the food is crammed into an L shaped corner. If it's crowded at all you'll be waiting a while for your turn so get there early if you can. There's a do it yourself waffle maker, plain bread, plain bagels, mini donuts, 2 types of cereal, hard boiled eggs, apples, and oranges. There are some "juices" labeled orange and apple but not sure how much juice is in those. I bought some juice boxes and bagels for us at Wal-Mart because I got tired of the selections. There is a small fitness area which I did not use. There's a small indoor pool, which was OK, but rather chilly. Pool area didn't have that typical bleachy smell, which made me wonder if it was properly chlorinated. Overall, I would probably stay here again - simply for the price and proximity to Cedar Point.

Room Tip: There are two floors and no elevator, so I would choose the lower floor. We had a room right near t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
643Red, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Milan Sandusky, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel. Like I have said in previous post's, we do get a lot of people that would rather stay here versus paying the higher prices that you can pay closer to the park. Our continental breakfast is one of our biggest successes! We have guests tell us all the time it is wonderful that a Red Roof offers a breakfast. It is not elaborate, but we do offer quite a bit of breakfast items that you could pay for, where here it is free! Yes, our pool is chlorinated (which is a requirement by the state) and we test everyday! We take pride that the pool area doesn't have that "beachy" smell, because it can turn some people off. As far as the temperature in the pool, we keep it between 77-81 degrees, which is quite normal for most indoor pools. We do appreciate all comments and reviews we get and hope to see you next time your travels bring you to the area.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We over paid because it was Saturday night first we had to pay 120.00 for one night because all the hotels in Sandusky overcharge on just Saturday, we walked in to the room it had a horrible smell then we sat down on the bed and it was as hard as a rock, for 50.00 dollars I will sleep on a rock but not for 120.00 we then went back to the front desk and got our money back, I will say we had no problem with that the women at the front desk was very nice, but it was not worth the money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I am sorry that your experience, albeit short, was anything but perfect. We strive to excel in guest service and like to think we provide clean rooms at an affordable price. That being said, we were aware of some rooms that had some uncomfortable mattress and have replaced the ones where our guests have complained in the past. As far as we know everything was in order. As far as the odor in the room goes, I will have to do some investigating on that. Thank you again for your response.

Been to Red Roof Inn Milan Sandusky? Share your experiences!