“Huge Volume but Lacking Quality” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Avon, Ohio
“Huge Volume but Lacking Quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We ate here as part of a large party of over twenty-five and while the serving portions are huge, the experience lacked quality as service and taste were subpar. Even though we were a large party, we only had one waitress and she was further distracted by waiting on other tables. Even though she hustled and was courteous, she was over extended which resulted in several errors, delays and confusion when the dinners came out. While the portions were huge (we all ended up with doggie bags), the taste was generally bland and disappointing. The barbeque sauce used on the ribs was too sweet for our taste and we took them home in our doggie bag and replaced the sauce at home. Given the volume, the cost is reasonable but the generally bland taste and inadequate service resulted in a questionable value. The atmosphere is quite nice and, while I would not return as part of a large party, I would be willing to give the Brown Derby another try.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

78% Recommend
“What is it with this generation?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Went to the Medina Brown Derby with high hopes. Could it be possible? We're we really going to eat at a Brown Derby after all these years? Turned out the answer was no. We we arrived just before noon on this Saturday and were the only patrons in the restaurant. Very excitedly told the hostess and server (both so young) how happy we were to be there. Too bad the server didn't show just s tiny bit of that enthusiasm. She was very superficially polite and seemed distracted. Promptly brought beverages salad and bread and then disappeared. Ordered chop steaks and waited about 35 minutes for the entree after salad. Never saw the server for the full 35 minutes. Made eye contact 3 times with the manager who was by the grill and she just kept talking to the young cooks. When it finally arrived steak was burned on the outside. Tell the waitress? She disappeared into the back again. In fact, everyone disappeared into the back including the bar tender who walked through the dining room with an open container of Chobani yogurt. The manager and the cooks had quite a gab fest while we waited and waited for our order. Waitress checked on us very hurriedly and the ... You guessed it...disappeared into the back room. Manager could have checked on the few customers in the dining room but seemed very uninvolved. Big need for customer service training here. Not like the old Brown Derby standards at all. Someone tell the kids in the kitchen to quit talking and start cooking. Only nice part was looking at the old pictures on the wall but somewhat depressing. Maybe you can't go back. My elder mother liked the drive to Medina and said it was a nice memory and that is what I will remember.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great meals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This place is terrific. Great food, good prices and a steak special on Monday and Tuesday. Service people do a nice job, efficient and polite. You can't go wrong here. Best place in Medina and surrounding cities.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Medina, Ohio
“Excellent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The food and service were great but it was a little too noisy. Would be great for a family. I remember the original Brown Derby's and this one is very similar.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kingwood, Texas
“NOT THE LONG LOST MEMORIES I WAS HOPING FOR”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I went to this recently retro remodeled Brown Derby this past week in hopes of reliving the great Brown Derby memories I had with my parents (Paul and Jean Kariotis) when I was growing up in Fairlawn. So sorry to say in this case you cant go back !

We had reservations for 13 adults last Friday night and were never told we could have reserved the private room until after we all arrived and were, enjoying pre dinner drinks at our booth/table. The wine list was Ok it lacked the variety I would expect in such an establishment, but the prices by the bottle were excellent.

The dinner however left much to be desired. Although the servings were generous, the service staff fumbled the ball and 4 of the people at our table got foods they didn't order and all ordered steaks, my husband ordered the rib-eye rare and got a T bone or porterhouse med well. the other 3 men at the table got the wrong orders too but they were not what anyone ordered. They are all from a wonderful family and are not complainers so, they all ate what they go, without comment to server or management.
later during dinner service I felt something wet on my back and leaned forward to find water had seeped or dripped onto the back and seat of the booth and saturated my dry clean only dress, underwear and back of my bra. I went to the ladies room to try to dry it with the had dryer only to find this establishment only had paper towels. I unlike my husband, I brought this to the GM's attention and he proceeded to explain why I was wet, not much empathy. He offered me dessert I declined, he offered me a drink I declined. I would have like to have my dress dry cleaned. He gave me a $10 gift card which was a nice closing gesture on his part.
I thought my filet was excellent but massive, really 10 ounces! I wish they would have had a petit option or a split option, but as for my dinner, it was spot on cooked to perfection!

• Visited July 2013