“Comfortable and clean” 3 of 5 stars

1.5 of 5 Motel   |   1520 South Holland-Sylvania Road, Maumee, OH 43537   |
Ranked #18 of 18 hotels in Maumee
“Comfortable and clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Although this motel no longer serves breakfast the staff were helpful and the room was clean if not a little smelly from old smoke. For a budget motel this is a fair choice. Not luxury, but then you are not paying luxury prices.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Harrison, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This motel was the worst we have ever seen. First of all, it needs lots of work outside to even look presentable.
We had to book this because of granduation in this town and all other hotels were booked up. Should have known when we saw 7 cars in their lot.
When we went inside, the door jam was filthy, the room smelled musty and smokey, even tho it was a no smoking room. The door had light coming in from the bottom and side, even had a spider crawl in. The floors were wavy in the bathroom and under the carpet, there was no caulking around the tub and toilet. The room looked clean on the surface, but not around the door, window, air conditioner, etc. I started to get sick by not being able to breathe and stuffed up, also my husband is allergic to smoke, and he started to have the same problem. I am highly allergic to mold and suspect there may have been mold under the floors and carpet, but don't know for sure. We only were there an hour when we decided we had to leave because if we would have stayed there any longer, we would have both been really sick.We had to drive home 4 hours after driving there 4 hours and spending the day with our graduate, so we really had a bad experience by booking this motel. Next time, we will not book a hotel that is non refundable so we can cancel but hotels.com gave us our money back after explaining to them what had happened. Thank goodness we didn't book directly with the motel. From now on we will look at the room before booking it.

Room Tip: Check it out first
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Overall
-Very cheap
-Rooms are old, low quality, and run down
-Basic complimentary breakfast
-Would not be my first choice for another stay, consider spending the extra $30 for a better place

One night stay during a trip. I paid about $50/night, and ended up with about what I would expect. Bed and bedding were cheap, but adequate. Pillows were fine. Quite grungy and very old feeling. The front door had gaps and the bathroom floor was sunken. Only soap and shampoo included in room for toiletries (no lotion or conditioner), but I bring my own anyway. Continental breakfast included in price, which was cereal, waffles, juice and coffee. It was fine but I would plan to go somewhere else to eat. Front desk staff seemed nice enough. Small pool not used by me. I would not recommend anyone other than my 21 year old brother make a stay here, though I would stay again in a pinch if nothing else was available.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Three Rivers, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

the room was terrific on check-in. really clean, comfortable bed, nice clean pool. breakfast was simple but not bad. i paid $48/nt and was thrilled with the qualilty. second day: housekeeping blew it totally. housekeeper did *nothing* except make the bed. dirty cups laying around, coffee spots etc., on the counter... not even towels or TP left! manager said they might be "out" of linens and would have to check. (what? didnt i read this on a review here already?) anyway, he came thru and we got our towels and tp. for 3 straight days they were 'out' of milk for the breakfast cereal. great start and i will stay there again for the initial welcome cleanliness but housekeeping lazied themselves out of a tip and the mgr needs a new line.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
West Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Let me start by saying that this is a hotel that requires you to manage your expectations. I paid $44 for the night, so I wasn't expecting the Ritz. And I didn't get the Ritz. What I got was a room that was okay as an overnight stop during a long drive - exactly what I needed and expected. The bed was comfortable, the room was warm and everything worked. The person at the front desk was friendly and the check-in and checkout processes were both quick.

The furnishings were old and worn, as was the decor. I didn't care. I needed a bed and a shower and considered the free breakfast a bonus. Again, for $44 I wasn't disappointed. If I'd paid a lot more, I would've been. Consider this place a convenient one-night stopover, but don't use it if you plan a long stay. It's not a place you want to hang out in. Also note that A LOT of trains go by at night, so if you're a light sleeper, keep that in mind. It's quite possible that the same is true for all of the hotels in that area, but I don't know.

In short, if you need a cheap bed, this place is fine. If you need more than that, then spend a little more and look elsewhere or you'll be disappointed.

Room Tip: You have to walk outside to get to the breakfast area, so if the weather is bad you may want to ask...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Willoughby, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Ok My reviews are usually detailed so I will begin at the front desk. A young man greets you and after about ten minutes of miming what you want since you cannot understand each other, you point to the computer and say "room". Then he gets your credit card and hands you a very old style hotel key card. My first impression at this point is that this was a formerly abandoned motel that someone just gave up on a few years ago, and is now open for business. Once I get to my room 14X, (secret) , I open the door which causes the (particle) facia board on the front of the door to crumble onto my feet, gross...It smells moist. I enter to find no AC, but the beds are made. I enter the bathroom and the grout is actually mold that comes out and sticks to the bottom of my feet. I ask for another room, but they are "booked" even though I see 3 cars in the lot. Ok -I sleep and sweat with my daughter who is here for a big sports tournament. the view out the window shows very cloudy dirty glass that either has not been cleaned in months or years, or fogged from inside... They have a wafflemaker, which is nice but the OJ is warm and nasty per my daughter. We went to McDonalds. I asked for another room in case someone checked out (for day 2) Every hotel in the area was booked at this point. I get a key to check out room 14X, nearby. I do the walk in and pull back the top cover of the nearest bed . I get real close because it looks like the specks are moving. Yep, BedBugs. I freak out and now I am convinced my previous evening sweat - fest included them as well. I am now itching. My group asked me what I was doing so I showed them the bugs, haha now they are itching. It's amazing what the mind can do.
Anyway, I went back, told them that room 14x had bedbugs, he took back the key and I just went to the sports event not knowing where I will sleep. I came back at night, and they said they got my AC running so I agreed to go back to my original room. went to the pool, which was nice and clean (believe it or not), then back to the room. The toilet was apparently running and was now flooding the bath area. I shut off the water (now they will definitely know who wrote this). I called the front desk and he showed with a plunger and a blissful smile. I asked how he was going to sop up the water and he came back a half hour later with some towels and handed them to me. I threw them down on the ground and hoped I didn't have to pee for the rest of the night. In the morning I went to Walgreens to buy bedbug killer for the suitcase and backpack. Oh, and by the way there WAS SOMEONE STAYING IN THE BUG ROOM....So they didnt really care about my little notice.
All in all I would say anyone praising this place either is a part owner or a bold face liar.

Room Tip: If you are stuck like I was, sleep in your car.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Howard, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

New owner... staff was very friendly, helpful and professional. VERY CLEAN, nicely decorated, comfortable bed, room included King bed, couch, coffee table, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, desk, dresser, and very clean bathroom with soft, plushy towels. Location was very quiet - no highway noise. Free breakfast was hot waffles, brewed coffee and orange juice. All for under $50... what a bargain. It's the BEST low-price hotel I have stayed in along Rt I-80/90. I will definitely mark it as my favorite.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Knights Inn Toledo West? Share your experiences!