“Good Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Mason
Greenville, Ohio
“Good Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stay at this hotel just about every year during the Spirit Song festival at King's Island. We love the convenience of the shuttle bus and the low price of the hotel. We have had marginal rooms in the past, but this year we had one with clean carpeting and newer bedding. Everything was clean and there were no bad odors. The housekeepers were excellent and took care of us all 4 nights we were there. We checked for bedbugs, but saw no signs of them. We enjoyed both the outdoor and the indoor pool. The indoor pool room is run down and was not the cleanest around the edges so we mostly stuck to the outdoor pool. Our balcony was the only bad part of our stay...it had been the home to a nest of birds and was absolutely covered in bird poop (even a broken bird's egg that was fused to the ground!) We were not able to use the balcony at all! We did not eat at the hotel (we have had the breakfast in the past and it's only so-so...we only eat it if it comes free with the room, which they have occasionally offered us in the past.) I recommend asking for a room in the main building if you want a clean one. We have also had luck with rooms (especially the upstairs rooms) in the pool building. The disconnected buildings are usually pretty nasty! The front desk is not organized...it took awhile to check in and there was a mistake on my bill that took awhile to sort out at check-out. But they were never rude and it all eventually got sorted out. I also recommend that you ask for an itemized bill when you leave just so you can double check...and take care of any discrepancies immediately!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here following a trip to King's Island and the location is great but the rooms are filthy. I honestly didn't want the kids to touch the carpet or the tub. The room service food was excellent and the help was wonderful and quick but please put some money into carpet and paint because basic upkeep of this hotel is the worst I have ever seen. The hair clogs in the shower and sink wouldn't allow either to drain!! The carpet was stained and disgusting. Would never stay again unless they could show me a clean room with fresh carpet and a working drainage system!

• Stayed June 2013
Barboursville, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I am not a picky person and I usually go with whatever. This hotel though is horrible. Upon arrival I went to the men's restroom with my two young son. I wanted to immediately turn around because it was so nasty. There was food in the urinals (stupid guest) but yet should have been cleaned out. The toilets well discusting. Te staff are all nice and helpful and the location is great. Opening the door to our room and the stains on the carpet make you feel like you need a hot scalding shower, but upon entering the restroom you find either a dirty tub or rusted tub. Place is run down and makes you feel dirty. Send an extra 20 or 30 and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013
Terre Haute, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I recently stayed here against advice from the terrible reviews it received, so I was prepared for the worst. But the price was excellent for the location and no other hotel offered a shuttle bus to Kings Island and having been there before I didn't want to fight the parking madness. We arrived and to my surprise this place was clean, bed was really comfy and the staff laid back and friendly. The webpage has pics that were accurate. The shuttle bus was so convenient and we never waited longer then 10mins for it to arrive. We ate in the bar after our visit to Kings Island and the food was good and very responsibly priced. I will agree with the updating on the room but id take the cheaper price instead over a luxury hotel any day, since the whole reason I visited was to enjoy the theme park not to hang out in the hotel room. This place offered everything we were looking for and then some, will definitely return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Warren, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I was visiting Kings Island from Rhode Island, and decided to stay at this hotel because it was one of the cheapest in the area, as all other hotels had raised their prices. I booked this one for under a hundred and got two QUEEN beds and a balcony. The room was better than I expected, nice carpeting, linens were decent, bed was comfy, only problem.... The flower comforter on top of the bed was nasty. We took them off and on the underside found a rainbow of stains. It was nasty!!! Brown stains, burn stains, orange stains, red, some blue, it was crazy!!! We took them all off and shoved them under the bed. They should really replace them!!!!!!! Plus flowers are ugly on bed spreads, its 2013!

The bathroom was clean, but there was dust behind the door built up for awhile, and the shower... oh the shower, it kept going from boiling hot to ice cold, with brief periods of regular temp water that I set it at! Taking a shower was painful!

The rest of the room was decent for price paid, and the balcony was really nice. We were right near the indoor pool building, and people were hanging out until about midnight. The buildings on the outside were older looking, and the skybridge had no a/c, and a funny smell.

The indoor and outdoor pools were full of people, and busy all day. There was also tons of people walking around all over the parking lot, so be careful!

The breakfast was embarrassing... Really bad... It was six dollars at check in, or 8 in the morning, I paid at check in, and when we went in the morning, the food was bland. There was a decent amount of people eating, and a ton of staff walking around, lurking for tips. The eggs were cheesy which was nice, but they tasted weird. The bacon was lackluster, the potatoes were horrible, the worst hash browns ever. There was also plain bread, yogurt, bagels, muffins and danish, all store bought. The juice was good. This should be included and not extra charge, its nothing special.

Overall I think I may stay again if in the area, but if its more expensive than others, I'd try a different property.

At check in, the girl was really slow, didn't give me a map, and I had to ask for it, and the front desk staff kept chatting together and being unprofessional. My clerk was distracted and hurrying off to do something else. Check out with her was not as painful.

Love the balcony, and that is only reason I chose this hotel. Our room had dirt on rugs from previous guest, and it went from one end of the room to the door, so that was gross, clearly wasn't vacuumed.

So it can go either way, its average, rooms were surprisingly decent in building G, but the bushes to enter were over grown, providing a foot to walk through them, which is ridiculous. They need to do some maintenance, but its just average.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Berea, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed here for night on a trip to Kings Island. The room was spacious with two queen beds and a sleeper sofa. The carpet is in desperate need of replacing. It was pretty nasty with stains but the room was clean and the beds comfortable and clean. The bathroom was clean but needs updating. We had only one issue with our door, it wouldn't open from inside the room and that was taken care of within 30 minutes by maintenance. The outdoor pool was clean but the hot tub was closed because a child deficated in it and they had to drain and clean it. They offer free shuttle rides to Kings Island every thirty minutes from 10 am to 10:30 pm daily. I would stay here again and will be returning in July.

Marietta, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

It was horrible experience. The front desk person lied to our family upon checking in when we asked if they had any problems with bed bugs. I am a social worker and I worry about bringing this type of bug into our home. Thankfully, I checked the beds before staying and the mattress had blood stains all around the edges. We googled what we had seen and sure enough it was remnants from bed bugs biting people. A maintenance man checked the bed and verified that it was from bed bugs. We were given back our money but our entire family was traumatized by this experience. Our 7 year old granddaughter couldn't sleep that night for fear there was a bug in the next hotel room. Our vacation was saved by Baymont Inn and Suites. The manager there was great and helped to relieve our fears! NEVER STAY AT THE KINGS ISLAND RESORT!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Kings Island Resort? Share your experiences!