“Misrepresentation Part II - This is a MOTEL, not a B&B” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kirkwood Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mason
Kirkwood Inn
You added Kirkwood Inn to your Saves list
4027 US 42, PO Box 644, Mason, OH 45040   |
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Cincinnati, OH
“Misrepresentation Part II - This is a MOTEL, not a B&B”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2006

9/30/06 One night.
Had arranged to stay here to celebrate our anniversary. 'Misrepresentation' 10/3/05 nailed it by stating that this is "basically a Super 8 motel with an old house next to it." I was excited about having a nice B&B to stay in, having had numerous pleasant encounters at other properties in Ohio and elsewhere. Imagine my disappointment at finding that the place is excactly a motel, with outside entry rooms, bland hotel-style interiors and appointments, the whole deal. I mean, the rooms are nice enough but for what we experienced we might as well have stayed at Red Roof Inn and saved some money.
As for breakfast, I've had better breakfasts (continental breakfasts, even) at large chain hotels. The only things that were truly 'prepared' were sausage patties, ham, and eggs, that resembled what you'd find in a school cafeteria, complete with paper plates and plastic silverware. Of course, when you're preparing food for an entire MOTEL of guests, I guess that's what you get.
Furthermore, we were kept up between the hours of 1:30-3am by 'neighbors' who were drunk/disorderly, making a nuisance outside. We called the front desk twice to complain and were told it would be taken care of. The Mason Fire & Rescue and police even got into the act, coming to take one young man away. ?! Looking out our room to see a scene from "COPS" isn't exactly what I was hoping for.
Overall, we were totally disappointed in our stay and would never recommend this place to anyone for any reason. Whoever qualifies properties as B&Bs should re-evaluate this one!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here if you're expecting a B&B
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
evanston illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2006

My husband my daughter and I stayed at this hotel for the labor day weekend ,we had originally made plans to stay at the paramount kings island resort but the ratings for that place turned out to be 50/50 some loved it and some hated it with cleaniess being the #1 complaint so we looked into some other hotels and found that the kirkwood inn had the best ratings for the area (and they were closest to the park only about 2 miles away) we found it to be quite comfortable, the ad could be a little misleading if you dont look into it ,but we decided to call to find out exactly what the place had to offer, so when we arrived we were not disappointed . the kirkwood inn is a very nice family owned refurbished hotel with about 48 rooms it is extremely clean the owners are almost always on the property they are very nice and helpful if you have any questions ,we found that this hotel is definately for the family that wants to be close enough to the theme park but would rather retreat to a quiet spot at the end of the day, we found this hotel to be kid friendly if you are staying at a time when the weather is nice because it has a beautifully landscaped outdoor pool and a nice yard near the house with lots of private seating for adults but if the weather is rainy,there may not be much for younger children to do ,the lobby is very small but nice,as for the historic house it's a nice perk ,you are not allowed to stay in the house, but it is where breakfast is served every day for guest of the hotel.the complimentry breakfast is buffett style with some variety (links and ham one day bacon and sausage the next there is also eggs, biscuits, coffee, fresh fruit ,cereal ,and a variety of pastries.)its not gourmet but better than what most large hotel chains offer for free. we would stay at this hotel again and refer our friends .driving up to the hotel will be decieving it' small,but once we settled in we were happy with our choice.

• Liked — clean and quiet
  • Disliked — not much to do in bad weather.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Knoxville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2006

We had booked a room at the King's luxury Inn, which was terrible and traveled around looking for another place to stay. We happened uppon this beautiful hotel on accident. The people at the fromt desk were wonderfully nice and super helpful. The first thing I noticed when we headed to the rooms was the wonderful smell of the honeysuckle growing nearby. I habe never smelled it so strongly! The rooms were very nice. Comfortable and most importantly, clean. They even gave us rooms that shared a door so that we could use two rooms as a unit for our whole family. They also had this lovely historic house that they served breakfast in. There was the typical continental breakfast, but they also had biscuits, gravy and country ham available. It was a great place to stay.

• Liked — The historical breakfast house
  • Disliked — The pool was closed the time of year we went (may)
  • Tips/Secrets — This place is amazing!
  • Stayed May 2005, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2006

We have recently stayed at this inn. It was the most wonderful place we have ever stayed. It is located out in a quite neighborhood with beautiful surroundings. It was also
very well maintained. Our room was great. There was extra towels and amenities.
The continential breakfast was better than we could have imagined. It was served in a
historic house which made it all the better. The staff was also wonderful. We would certainly stay there again. We would recommend this inn to anyone. We can't say enough
good about Kirkwood Inn.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

WOW! That's the first impression I got as I pulled up to the Kirkwood Inn in Mason, OH. Fantastic location was my next impression as I toured the grounds. Landscaping is absolutely beautiful, adding to the serenity of the historical site dating back to 1799. The breakfast served in the restored colonial home is not your average continental serving. Each day there was a variety of cereals, fruits, pastrys, eggs scrambled and hardboiled, bagels, ham, bacon, biscuits, a variety of rolls, and beverages. Everything was fresh and served buffet style. Table settings in the various colonial rooms produced elegance and warmth. Preparers of the breakfast were extremely friendly and ready to engage in conversation if one so desired. The rooms are very clean, with standard amendities as well as a confortably cushioned easy chair that avails itself to tv viewing and especially book reading. The pool is clean and on the sunny side of the complex. Although I did not use the pool because of time restraints and cool weather, I can't wait for a return visit to do so. In the evenings I was able to wind-down in the garden area, rocking in the gazebo, and just enjoying the aroma of the lavender bushes while listening to the gentle breezes whispering through the pines. All of the above is worth the effort to visit the Kirkwood Inn, if for no other reason than just to relax.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2006

I found this place while looking for a place to stay while visiting Paramount Kings Island and I never pick any of the first few on a list and when I seen Kirkwood Inn and its website, I was sold. Didn't even look at any more.
The pictures were just as the room said they would be, and I am quite picky about where I lay my head and put my feet, and I didn't feel like I was in a motel, hotel or anywhere but home that just looked lke a getaway place. People are trying to make their bedroom's to look like places they stay so they might feel like they are on vacation while never leaving their house, well this is the place for that. I have stayed and more expensive places and never felt as special as I felt here. The next morning breakfast was just as special as the room was, fresh fruit, eggs sauage, bacon , biscuits homemade jams and an array of other goodies that would please the most discriminating taste's. My grandson was with us and he's is picky, but loved the food and the pool and the room where he laid his sweet head. Momories were made with our grandson here and reccomend it to any travelor that demands a clean, quite relaxing place to stay, and also quite and charming too. Thanks, Kirkland owners for a wonderful place to stay! We will be back and are already telling our friends and family about it....
The Martin's

Frankfort, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2005

I stayed at this hotel after travelling to see the Rennaisance Festival in Ohio for the weekend. This hotel was listed in the recommended hotels for the festival. I looked at their website and it seemed like a nice hotel that was historically based, serving breakfast and calling itself an inn would be a pretty nice place to stay for only $85 a night. I called the hotel to check about discounts and found none and was told about the history of the inn being built in 1799 and family owned. When I got there, I saw it was basically a Super 8 motel with an old house next to it. I asked about the 1799 inn and was told that legally they could not have anyone stay there, that it was used as where breakfast was served. I thought that was odd, and expected a traditional B & B breakfast in the morning, instead it was your traditional continental Danishes and cereal breakfast which was very crowded for the number of rooms in the MOTEL. I was very disappointed as I had made travel arrangements for 2 friends of mine and we all expected to be staying in a beautiful historic inn. I feel this hotel seriously is misrepresenting itself by claiming the 1799 year of the house that is on the motel's property. The motel was adequate and clean, just totally disappointing.

Been to Kirkwood Inn? Share your experiences!