“Welcome to a lovely spot with a quaint, scenic, friendly atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kirkwood Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mason
Kirkwood Inn
You added Kirkwood Inn to your Saves list
4027 US 42, PO Box 644, Mason, OH 45040   |
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Pandora, Ohio, United States
“Welcome to a lovely spot with a quaint, scenic, friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Kirkwood Inn this past weekend. We were here to participate in the triathlon, and Kirwood Inn staff worked with us, allowing us to have the room a little longer so we might shower and clean up after our triathlon. We found the accommodations to be very nice, the farm- style breakfast served in an old restored farm house, complete with old linens and yummy entrees, was very nice. The old fashioned herb garden, flowers and walking paths were also a nice feature.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Clarksville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed at Kirkwood for 4 nights last week. As a single woman traveler coming to this area for a seminar, I was looking for a place in which I would feel secure and safe. I am glad I picked this place to stay. The surroundings are nestled in a country atmosphere away from the busy interstate, but easy and convenient to get to. It was close to many eating places. The room was very clean with good quality furniture, flooring and fixtures. The breakfast was wonderful. If I ever go through this area, I would definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed at Kirkwood during 3 nights in Aug 2012. Reviewed ratings on Trip Advisor which helped me. I was satisfied during my stay there. Rooms were clean, staff very friendly and hospitable. It was like home away from home. Breakfast was good, decor excellent and felt like a nice countryside visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We spent three nights at the Kirkwood recently. Very comfortable and clean. This little family owned motel is also part B&B with hot home cooked breakfast available every morning in a restored home that was built in the late 1700's.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My family, friends, and I stayed at the Kirkwood Inn while visiting Kings Island. We were delighted by the experience. For starters, the inn is close to the amusement park but far enough away to give you a quiet respite from Kings Island. Our rooms were clean and reasonably priced. But what really sets apart the Kirkwood Inn are the garden, nature walk and historic Kirkwood House, a charming home where a stunning breakfast is served daily in an elegant setting. To really appreciate the experience, don't skip the breakfast in your rush to get on with your day -- linger, enjoy the assortment of bread, eggs, bacon, donuts, jam, and sweets, and experience the inn.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Stuttgart, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is really different but very nice hotel to relax after work. And also a good start for our holiday. I enjoyed my stay in this very familiar atmosphere. If I ever have to come back to Lebanon OH I hope I can stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Orland Park, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

On a recent trip to Kings Island, we were looking for a place to stay near the park. We were going to be in the area for 5 days before heading to Downtown Cincinnati, so I wanted something somewhat affordable.

Great Wolf Lodge, which is nice, was way too expensive for our budget. (approx $260.00+ /night) Kings Island Resort was a slightly lower cost option, but received a lot of mixed reviews. From years past, I have also found a lot of the "Chain" hotels are hit or miss, unless you stay at the higher end properties, which also typically carry a higher end price. I'm not adverse to staying at a higher end property, (or a bottom of the Barrel for that matter) but this trip was on a tighter budget. I had also looked for a Vacation Rental here on TripAdvisor, because you sometimes can find some really attractive deals, that are competitive with some of the higher end hotels (ie....KI Resort, Marriott, etc...) prices, and can get a fully furnished home or condo with full kitchen and many amenities. If I was going to have to pay a premium price, I might have possibly been able to rent a house or condo for a comparable price. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of rentals in this area, and we would have had to stay close to Downtown Cincinnati, and drive 1/2 hour to Kings Island every day. Not completely out of the question, but not preferred.

On the Kings Island Website, the Kirkwood Inn was listed right under the Great Wolf Lodge as a "Featured" Hotel. So I looked at their website and read the reviews on TripAdvisor. Their pricing was very competitive (read Affordable) and after reading all the favorable reviews, I decided to give them a try. I wanted to stay near Kings Island, but the Kirkwood Inn is only 10 minutes from Kings Island. I have stayed at some "affordable" hotels in the past, the price was appealing (relatively speaking), I'm a gambling man and I was feeling lucky. The reviews on TripAdvisor and elsewhere made me feel confident that I had made a good choice.

Upon arriving at the property, we were pleasantly surprised. Initial impressions were very good. As people who use TripAdvisor know, internet pictures can be deceiving. The property was very well kept. Very Clean. We were greeted by a very friendly woman who checked us in and made sure we were provided with a lot of area information, hotel information, and expressed the desire to make sure our stay was enjoyable.

Kirkwood Inn is a small privately owned hotel, with a Century old historic 1800's farmhouse that has been restored on property. The Historic Farmhouse is currently used for gatherings, and they serve the "Free" continental breakfast that is included with your stay there. It is a separate structure from the hotel. The hotel and property are very well maintained. There is a very nice and scenic garden area, with a small walking trail and Gazebo.

The room we stayed in was a double queen. The room was very clean, and very well kept. Is it modern? Not necessarily. It is however significantly better than many of the hotels of this type that we have stayed at previously. One tell tale sign is usually the rug. The rug in the room was very clean, we found no stains, and there were no tears, rips or frays. the furniture was also in great condition. there were little if any nicks or scratches. The rooms have a Dorm size fridge, which is a nice addition. A microwave in the room would be an additional plus, but they do have one for guest use in a common area. They provided free Wi-Fi which I found to be reliable. Like most hotels they provide Cable TV, but the TV's are older, and are thus NOT the newer flat screen variety. But it functioned perfectly. There is also a desk area, and plenty of outlets for your electronic devices and cell phone charging. Coffee maker and hair dryer are also provided. We were also told that if there is anything we need, to call the front desk. If something was not in the room, they may still have it available as needed.

They also have an outdoor pool which we did use. the pool and pool area were clean and very well kept. The water was cool, but not cold. They had various tables and lounge chairs available for use also.

With your stay, they provide a free continental breakfast. Breakfast is served in the Historic Farmhouse. The continental breakfast they provide is better than the "run of the mill" breakfast most places provide. Most of the time, I pass on the continental breakfast served at many hotels, but the Kirkwood Inn was definitely a "step up". They have a very good variety of pastries, doughnuts, and breads. Various fruit and juices. Eggs, ham, bacon, oatmeal, cereals, biscuits and gravy, and what appeared to be apple cobbler (not a fan of apples, so I didn't try it). You eat your breakfast in a beautiful Dinning room, or you can sit outside in the Garden area if the weather is nice.

As mentioned previously, the hotel is about 10 minutes from Kings Island. It is not located on what i would call a main road, but that is a good thing. Traffic noise is minimal. There is actually a "back road" you can take to get to Kings Island and avoid most of the traffic. So, it actually turns out, the hotel is in my opinion a very favorable location. To get to Kings Island from the Hotel, you are going the opposite direction of most of the traffic, so the trip is short and sweet.

You really can't beat the quality of this hotel for the price. We had a great stay at the Kirkwood Inn, and would definitely stay there again.

Happy Travels!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Kirkwood Inn? Share your experiences!