“Great Waterpark, no frills hotel” 3 of 5 stars

You added Great Wolf Lodge to your Saves list
Great Wolf Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2501 Great Wolf Drive, Mason, OH 45040   |
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Mason
“Great Waterpark, no frills hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

My family decided to spend Christmas Eve night at the Lodge on our way to visit family in Cincinnati (Mason is about 20-30 mins north of the city). The entrance is grand, check in was efficient and the front desk staff helpful. Your wristband serves as your key to your hotel room and can also serve as your charge card during your stay. While convenient, it was slightly tricky to get into your room and my husband's wristband never worked. We reserved a family suite. Although awkward that the bathroom sink was actually outside the bathroom, the room was spacious for my family of 4. The room felt like a 2- to at most 3 star hotel room and was in definite need of a decorating update. It was clean enough and sufficient given that we would spend most of our time in the Waterpark. The Waterpark was fantastic! It had a great variety of rides - some we could do as a family, others separately, some wilder than others. I also was quite impressed with the lifeguards on duty. They were all very attentive and clearly took their jobs seriously. We ate dinner at the 'fancier' restaurant onsite. Service was good but the food was less than average (my steak was dry and lacked taste, good standard options for kids though). Overall, I would recommend staying here for a fun family night or two mainly because of the quality of the Waterpark as opposed to the hotel amenities themselves.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you very much for your visit to Great Wolf Lodge – Mason! I am glad that you had such a great time in the waterpark. It is our priority to provide safe family fun for guests of all ages.

Thank you for your feedback for our new Lodge Wood Fired Grill! I will share your feedback with the team.

We look forward to seeing your family again soon!

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We had such a fun time here. The rooms are clean and comfy, the lobby was beautifully decorated for Christmas, and the well-maintained waterpark has a lot of activities to keep the family entertained. The snack bar prices and food are satisfactory but the service was slow. The breakfast buffet had standard fare and wouldn't be worth the regular price but they had a special which mad it OK. We look forward to visiting some of the other locations.

Room Tip: The rooms are laid out in long hallways so it can be quite a trek to the lobby and waterpark. The u...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for staying with us! I am happy to hear that your family enjoyed the lodge during the holidays. It is a unique stay experience that should not be missed!

We cannot wait to host your family at one of our other locations!

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

My entire family just spent Christmas at the Great Wolf lodge. The lodge is beautifully decorated for Christmas. The water park is Fabulous! Life guards are "on it" and I felt completely safe and confident that if my grandchildren ages 6 & 3 were to get away, they'd be fine.
The reason for the low score had to do with the following. I had a 40 min. wait for check-in...this was entirely too long of a process...there was only 5 families ahead of me. I was also informed that my suite which sleeps a max of 8 would charge me an $80 surcharge for anyone over 6 persons...including infant and toddlers. Please note this is not written for guests to budget or plan properly in advance...When I asked the csr checking me in why this isn't on the website or noted elsewhere so guests are not surprised? She simply replied...Its our practice and policy. NICE! Fortunately for me, I was traveling with a group and we moved heads around accordingly.
The room we had was a fireplace suite with a loft and the rooms were clean and well maintained.
We ate dinner at the woodfire grill and the service was Horrible. Were seated right in front of the kitchen door and we could see the floor was filthy! We waited 1 hour after being seated to be served cold food.We chose the all american Bbq dinner where your food is served with a glaab of cole slaw that soaks your muffins, fries and other meats served on your plate...we complained to the manager who was nice enough to significantly discount our meal. But we won't eat there again if we return. So guests beware.
Finally guest recommendation: If you want guests to leave by 11 am checkout, open the waterpark before 10am.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
I am glad you loved the decorations throughout the resort for the holidays. Did you get a chance to see the snow shows in the Grand Lobby? Our lifeguards are meticulous in their training and take their roles very seriously. I will pass along your amazing feedback for them so they know that our guests feel safe in the waterpark.

Our website has recently undergone a slight change to help prevent this occupancy issue from happening. Next to each suite name there is an information button that outlines additional person charges. I hope this information will serve you well for your next visit!

We do appreciate your feedback on the Lodge Wood Fired Grill and take it very seriously. Please know that this does not meet with our customary standards of service and I will make our Food and Beverage Team aware of this.

We look forward to your return visit!

Brandenburg, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

My daughter, son-in-law and 14 and 12 year olds stayed at this lodge in December, 2013 and had a super time. The waterpark is outstanding, lazy river, several raft/tube rides and a large hot-tub. Many water activities for smaller tots. The water was warm which was great since it was 15 degrees outside. Only problem in the water park is that there is no supervision to keep the small ones out of the hot-tube which made it a smaller pool for tots to jump, splash, fight, etc., while us older folks were trying to relax (which was impossible). The suite we had was really nice, three TV's, three queens and sleeper sofa. One queen was in the loft which allowed privacy, but the bath was only a half-bath, which meant one shower for 6 people. The check-in was fast. The breakfast was excellent, but expensive. The main dining room had fantastic food and service, steaks, ribs, salads, etc. Great Wolf Lodge in Mason Ohio was a great weekend getaway and we will return again next winter. Oh, the main lodge area had real snow machines dropping snow several times a day, very pretty. The main lodge had so many Christmas decorations that you could spend hours just enjoying the atmosphere. My adult daughter spent two hours in the spa and loved it!

Room Tip: The fourth floor gives an excellent view of the main lodge. There are several elevators so no proble...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
I am very glad that your family had a great time at Great Wolf Lodge – Mason! It is our standard that the waterpark be a constant 84 degrees year round for the comfort of our guests. Another priority is to offer enough options in the waterpark so that there is something for all guests, regardless of age.

If you enjoyed the privacy and spaciousness of the Loft Fireplace Suite, I think you would enjoy the Grizzly Bear Suite even more! Especially because the Grizzly Bear Suite features two full bathrooms.

We hope to see your family again real soon!

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Beware if you are purchasing gift cards on-line. I paid $16 to have my gift card shipped 2 day express. It took 2 days for them to handle my card, purchased on tuesday, they shipped it thursday afternoon and did not select the option for saturday delivery. So, I received the gift card Monday. 6 days later. Very disappointing. So, just beware if you need a gift card timely!

castoral
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We just returned from our one night stay in the Grizzly Suite at Great Wolf Lodge. This is our third trip with our kids in three years. We had loved it so much in the past we thought we'd bring the grandparents along so they could see the fun. We choose not to eat at any of the restaurants snide due to bad service once, but I did see the Wood Grille has a new name, so maybe their service is better now too. Our room is normally perfect (stayed in a kids cabin once and fireplace suite) but this time we were disappointed. The shower was disgusting with moldy grout and a clogged drain. The jacuzzi tub spit out black stuff when the kids turned the jets on. YUCK! The cherry on top thought was our next day when we usually spend the day at the water park. Around 11am there was an emergency at the lazy river. The back lifeguard at the wave pool kept blowing her whistle and frantically looking around for backup. She finally grabbed the backboard and ran. That left one lifeguard for about 100 people. The kids then headed for the water tower and I could see the horrific emergency of an adult drowning. I "heard" it was due to a medical issue and not the fault of Great Wolf Lodge but it was hard to enjoy the water park after that. We tried for the sake of the kids but when the kiddie area closed due to a poopy in the pool for over an hour, we were done. I asked management if we could come back at a later date during their low season so this wouldn't be our last memory of the place, but he was extremely defensive saying nothing was done wrong. I'm sad because my kids are 6, 4, 3, and 5 mo and I thought this would be a yearly tradition for a quick night away. :(

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Public Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
The safety of our guests is our number one priority. We would like to speak with you about your recent stay. Please email us at socialmedia@greatwolf.com and let us know the best way we can reach you.

-Jessie
Great Wolf Lodge
Park Hills, KY (just outside Cincinnati)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Our school was off for a random day when others weren't off so we decided to take advantage of a not crowded day at Great Wolf. This was our first stay and it was great. Our group had two 7 year olds and one 6 year old. They loved their separate area in our Kids Cabin. The room was gigantic and more then enough room for the 5 of us. The fire place was great on a 20 degree, snowy day.

The staff were very friendly and always ended with a "my pleasure". The lifeguards were equally as nice. We had pizza for dinner at the hotel. It was great NY style ans very reasonably priced ($5 to add on a cheese pizza so only $18 for two pizzas). We also had the breakfast buffet (again, reasonably priced at $26 for 4 and $5 for an extra child). The lunch baskets by the pool were enough for two to share also.

On to the water park. The temperature was perfect, the water felt great, and the lines were short. We rode nearly every slide, except the very small ones, multiple times. The "toilet bowl" slide and the family raft rides were everyone's favorites. Definitely didn't run out of things to do and the kids wanted to stay longer. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: 1035-1150 are most convenient to dining and waterpark
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!