“Great Family Fun; Good Value!” 5 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2501 Great Wolf Drive, Mason, OH 45040   |
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
“Great Family Fun; Good Value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Normally we don't think to give accolades to our hometown attractions -- we take them for granted. But I want to give a big thumbs up to our own Great Wolf Lodge, Cincinnati, Ohio! Both times we have been their guests have been a delightful, relaxing family mini-vacation. Not only are the rooms very clean and quiet, but they have also to the experience 1) a very fun water-coaster which my 12-year-old daughter and I road over and over, and 2) a fast food restaurant, "Hungry As a Wolf", which fed my family of 4 a very good lunch (one piece of pizza and a serving of salad leftover), right in the waterpark, for under $30! Having a refrigerator and microwave in the room meant we could "rough it" for breakfast, and we rounded out our meals over the 2-night stay at Jimmy John's sandwich shop around the corner, and Bob Evan's across the I-71 interchange. Oh, I can't forget to mention the addition of a Starbucks right in the souvenir shop! We got a group rate with a homeschool event the week that we stayed, so the value was very good, considering how much you pay for a waterpark ticket for a day. We had our bracelets for access to the waterpark, our room, and our account credit, if we wanted, so no need for Mom to be the pack mule, carrying money, keys, etc.! We paid a little extra for a family game of bowling the last morning, and that was fun. Overall, moms love to have a family vacation where you don't have to pack up and travel from place to place, don't have to cook and clean, and everyone can enjoy the activity of the hour. Great Wolf Lodge is that place. Check it out!

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the center (or the waterpark) if you want to cut down on walking.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Meally, Kentucky, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here from 10/7/2012 to 10/9/2012, our kids loved it. We arrived early around 1pm and waited aprox. 15 minutes to check in. The front desk attendant was wonderful, explained everything to us and we were free to go to the waterpark. Our room was available around 3 which was great. We knew going in this place was expensive so we weren't caught off guard. Waterpark was great for the kids, chlorine smell is a little overwhelming. First complaint about this place is the walls are thin, people above us had to be herding cattle or playing flag football. Second complaint is the kiddie section tends to be cold, it may be that it's next to the doors but it's cold. I spent over $600 for a two day stay when you count food and gift shop purchases and for the most part was satisfied, until out last day. We got up and checked out by ten, moved our stuff to the car and went to enjoy the waterpark. This was our third day in the pools, my husband had rode every slide there with my kids and alone. After riding a couple with our kids he went to ride by himself. He waited in line for about 15 minutes because they had one person running four slides.When he reached the slide the attendant asked him if he met the height and weight requirements for the ride, and my husband told him he had rode them for two days. The attendant smirked and said well "I've got a scale over here, let's just make sure." My husband isn't a small man, he knew he was over 250 lbs but didn't know all the slides had a 250lb weight limit. He thought it was just the triple twist slide that required the green tubes. My husband steps on the scales and a siren and flashing light go off, seriously. The attendant laughed and said " I always wondered what those lights were there for." I understand you have safety guidelines and they are there to protect the guests as well as the hotel, but whose bright idea was it to put a siren and flashing light on a scale in which the person must step on in front of everyone in line? Completely mortifying. He then told my husband if he would have had a double tube and a passenger he could ride but he couldn't let him ride. My husband asked how he was supposed to get down and the attendant laughed and told him the same way you came up. My husband after being humiliated in front of all the people had to walk down crowded steps the wrong way just to get back down. I spoke to the manager on duty, I think his name was Ron. He was very pleasant and said he would make sure the situation was handled. He came to out table a few minutes later to apologize to my husband but my husband had already went to the changing room. I felt the manager cared and would do his best but I just want everyone to understand, if you are close to 250lbs save yourself the embarrassment and go elsewhere. We paid a lot of money for a young kid to laugh at my husband and embarrass him. Biggest Loser waterpark edition. We live closer to Wilderness at the Smokies and CoCo Keys is just a little farther than GWL. Next time we will give our hard earned money to one of those establishments.

Room Tip: Top floor of possible, if people above you are loud, you won't sleep.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

This place is beautiful and has everything you could want. Food, games, pool. Entertainment. Everything. The water park was a blast. The rooms were great. Only problem we had was the shower didnt drain well & the beds felt a little harf to us. No other complaints. High props to lifeguards who were very attentive. Very impressed with them!!! I felt very safe with our child.

• Stayed September 2012
Baldwinsville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

attended a trade show here as I do every year. And like every year, the family comes along. I enjoy the fact I can spend time in the water-park with my son after the show closes until 10 pm. My son loves this place, we bought him the wand a few years back, so every year he brings it back with him and runs around like a maniac during the day playing the game. we bought a compass contraption for him this year. This is a great place and I look forward to going every year. I'm sure in a few years when my son is older and doesn't go, it will be what it is, just another trip.

Beds kinda could be better, but taking into consideration its a family destination, I can imagine everyones kids bouncing on the beds all the time... LOL

Plus, you'll be exhausted by the end of the day, it won't matter, you'll go right to sleep.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Versailles, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

You couldn't ask for a better place to take your family.It is well worth the cost and everything is right there.The staff, food, and rooms are great and the waterpark is a blast.The kids will love all the entertainment from shows to to story times and even an arcade, plus there are multiple places in the hotel to have a meal or grab a quick snack.

Room Tip: If with very young kids ask for a room closest to the lobby the halls can seem a long way after runn...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Morrow, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great Wolf is a exciting indoor water park and in the summer months outdoor as well! My children love it! The water flooms are great and there is a lazy river as well. At check in they give you arm bands that lets you in and out of your room so no keys to carry; for adults the band can be coded to let you buy anthing there and it goes on your credit card at the front desk. A reallly fun place!!

Room Tip: The regular rooms sleep 6 and are very nice.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Goshen, KY USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our family had a wonderful time at our recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge Mason, Ohio. We did just the standard 2 queen suite and for two adults, a toddler and a baby in a crib there was plenty of room. We could hear our upstairs neighbor walking around pretty loud, but they did respect the hibernation hours. Having the microwave and mini fridge was very nice as well. I did the online check in and when I arrived they had my room ready to go. Very quick. We did stay on weekdays, so there was not a crowd at all. The nightly shows were great for the kids, even the baby liked them!

The food was pretty good. We did pizza one day for lunch and dinner at the grill another. We also left the hotel for dinner one night. Pricewise they're a little high but not outrageous, remember you are paying for convenience. There are many restaurants within a less than 5 minute drive. We also brought in our own breakfast for each day. So there are many options to save on food costs.

The water park is amazing. The entire family had a great time. Again, by staying during the week there was not a crowd at all. We pretty much had the place to ourselves. No lines for the slides, and there were plenty of places to sit. The life guards are plentiful and seemed very observant. There were no incidents during our stay, but the guards were all over the place and pretty nice too.

There are other amenities that could easily cost you a bundle, but we stuck with the waterpark and Magic Quest only. Steering clear of the arcade and craft room. My son asked about the arcade, but we told him we weren't here for that and he was ok with it. He did have a good time with the Magic Quest game for a while, but he was mostly excited about the water.

We will definitely be returning to Great Wolf. The staff everywhere was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!