“Its Losing Its Mojo” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Mason
Columbus
“Its Losing Its Mojo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

3rd visit to a Great Wolf Lodge property, first time for 2 nights.
The Good: hot showers, housekeeping, room towels

The Bad:
At check-in we were greeted with a scowl and told there were no other rooms available to upgrade to.
I had called the day before for a birthday poster to be placed on our room for my son’s 9th birthday, reminded the woman at check in and got to the door and no poster.
Magiquest has been a huge draw for my son and he has loved watching the stats on the in-room TV, but alas, it was not working. The worker said, “nope, not working for the last 2-3 weeks or so…”
No Wi-Fi in our room. Yes, we were top floor, all the way down the hall and would not have minded, but front desk assured us it was “our” problem with our computer, not theirs.
They advertise all over that they are going green. I was confused by what is recycled in the room-recycling bin and asked housekeeping- “bottles, papers, glass, anything. We put it all together”- pretty sure it is all thrown out.

The ugly:
“First Aid’- I am thankful there were no serious accidents as I doubt they could have handled it. My son scraped himself up on the lazy river, requiring 3 bandages. Water and blood gets messy quickly- they tried to place the bandages on without first drying off the skin or applying pressure. Guess what, we were back in 15 minutes and they laughed that there were no waterproof bandages available at the water park. I asked them to at least dry off the leg first- they grabbed a random towel to use and I did not see biohazard waste marked anywhere. Not sure what came of the bloody towel.
A urine stench formed on the stairs to the large slides (not the kiddie area) and resembled the elephants at the zoo. My son noticed it first and informed me it remained there the next day.

Provided Great Wolf with my constructive comments per their request 1-week ago- no response received.

Room Tip: We prefer away from the magiquest activity and use the back elevator.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit with us and your honest review. This feedback has been shared with my team, including the Director of Guest Services and the Director of Aquatics.

As for your concern with our recycling, we do recycle those items and also work with local waste specialists to compost food waste when possible. We have in place our Project Green Wolf program that addresses water conservation, recycling, energy efficiency and also environmentally friendly purchasing at all of our lodges.

As for the first aid concern, the safety of our guests and employees is our number one priority. All of our lifeguards and aquatics team members are trained in CPR and first aid.

I hope that you and your family will join us again in the future.

Terrie Zajo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Russiaville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We have been to Great Wolf Lodge 5 times now. We have made it a tradition to go every Christmas break. This year, we also took our older parents and friends. We always have such a fun time. We always take our own food & a cooler. There is a small fridge in the room. We also always order pizza from Papa Johns. It was great and on time.The water park is a blast. The lifeguards are very cautious at "scanning" the water at all times. We even saw an incident happen with a young boy that hit his head or had a seizure but the lifeguard was with him in a second and it was very impressive. Also, with the stomach flu season, there was an incident where someone became sick near the wave pool. They wasted no time in clearing it, and also shut it down for a short time after they added chemicals. The water park was very clean. Our rooms were extremely clean. We even received a letter from the manager and a small gift delivered to our room for being returning guests. This is a wonderful place to visit for a short trip. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: All rooms are nice and quiet. You can request a room next to the elevator, but if you don't wan...
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Our visit to Great Wolf Lodge in Mason was perfect in every way. We arrived on Christmas Day around 1:30 pm, the line was not long, and our room was ready. The lifeguards were very alert, and were doing a great job. The room was clean, and the children highly enjoyed the Kids Kamp suite. We got a room at the end of one of the wings on the first floor. It was far to walk to the waterpark, but it was very quiet. We also appreciated the wrist band style room key and loved how we were able to use it to pay for everything throughout the lodge. It allowed us to leave our valuables in our room. Overall, we had a great time!

One note though: as we left on 12/26, the check-in line was incredibly long, so if you plan to maximize your time at the water park, arrive around 12:15-12:30 to give yourself enough time for the check in.

Shelbyville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

After having read about a myriad of issues by other travelers from long lines to check in to bed bugs in the rooms, I was going in skeptical. I was pleasantly surprised. Check in was lengthy, but not overly so. The room was clean and very spacious. I checked closely for evidence of bed bugs and not only did not find any, but also found all mattresses in the room with protective zip on cases on them. The bathroom was nice, not tiny like so many others. They also provided 8 towels in the room, an ammenity I greatly appreciated with two adults and three kids. The waterpark was clean and a big hit. There were plenty of activities for all ages and thrill seeking levels. Food was expensive, but very high in quality. We would definitely go back!

Taylor Mill, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

The kids had a day off school mid-week in early December so we decided to get some friends together and spend the night at the Great Wolf Lodge. The lobby was decorated beautifully for Christmas. Check-in was smooth and our rooms were very clean. As always when I first go into a hotel room, I checked thoroughly for any issues with the beds (bedding issues, bedbugs, etc.). The beds were clean & in great condition! We had the family suite with a fireplace and found it to be very spacious. We had 3 rooms next to each other. Ours was in the middle, so after swimming for a couple of hours and then watching the cute show in the lobby, everyone came to our room to eat pizza and play games. We had plenty of room for everyone to hang out together. Some of the older kids went to the arcade for awhile and came back with enough prizes for everyone. They thought the arcade was great because the prizes did not require as many tickets as most arcades.

The next day we swam for a few more hours then checked out. We stayed awhile longer while the kids played MagiQuest. They loved that too!

With everything there was to do, we felt like we had taken a 3 day vacation. It was such a nice place and so much fun. We will definitely go back!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet room, you might want to be further down the hall a bit. The Magi Ques...
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I've been to Great Wolf Lodge three times all in Christmas season, and always loved it.

Waterpark:
The water park is great, one of the best indoor I've been to. It has a water coaster, bowl slide, and a slide with flashing LED lights and three funnels. The park is overall very clean, but there are definitely not enough lifeguards and people that run the waterslides. It makes for long lines.

Room:
The family fireplace suite is nice and big, but I wish it had a little more to it. The rooms are pretty boring and standard. No flat screen TVs, which annoys me, but overall they are good rooms. *complaint*: The pillows are way too flat and hard!

Rest of lodge:
The arcade is so much fun and has a ton of games. The prizes are actually worth a reasonable amount of tickets, for once. The arcade is very clean and every five minutes I saw someone vacuuming. MagiQuest is a lot of fun, but is very pricey. It takes a lot out of you, so make sure if you get MagiQuest, you have a lot of time to do it.

Service:
The housekeeping...oh the housekeeping! We checked in on Wednesday at 1 and housekeeping did not come until Thursday night (we had to call the front desk to get them up to our room). That is my only complaint.

Also, I had no bed bugs in the room like a lot complain.

I love Great Wolf and it is a family tradition!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms aren't as loud, no kids running around upstairs!
Zanesville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

We usually go to the Kalahari in Sandusky, Ohio every winter for a quick family getaway. (Our children are now 12 and 9) This year my husband wanted a change of scenery so we chose the Great Wolf instead. I was excited for something new, although we still love the Kalahari too. We have been to the Great Wolf in Sandusky also way back 7 years ago. This Great Wolf is bigger than the one in Sandusky, in my opinion without checking square footage. The Kalahari is way bigger than both, but we loved this Great Wolf although smaller than the Kalahari. We stayed 2 nights, the Friday after Thanksgiving and Saturday night.

We stayed in a Wolf Den room that had an enclosed "cabin" inside the room that had bunk beds. (Room #2005) The outside was decorated with plastic to look like rocks, and the inside appeared to be "hand painted" with little animal critters that my kids enjoyed studying. They had their own TV with remote and a little window peeking out the front. My kids wanted a door to it, but it was just an open doorway. They were sooooo excited to have a room like that, it was worth the extra money to me. Since we stayed 2 nights we had a lazy afternoon relaxing in the room on Saturday. We discovered we are more relaxed staying 2 nights, although 1 night would be enough for most people. We just enjoy swimming for 3 hours, then taking a break and doing dry activities, dinner, then go back to the waterpark. Just our way of doing it.

Upon check in on Friday, (we arrived at 11:15 am) the only Wolf Den that was available was one CLEAR at the end of the hallway of level 2, #2005. I debated, and decided that having a room upon arrival was WAY better than getting wet and having a room later at 6pm. We did a lot of walking, but you know, it was SUPER QUIET down there! Level 2 also walks right out to the lobby level.

The buffet was incredible at the LOOSE MOOSE COTTAGE restaurant! We ate there right at opening, 5:00pm on Friday. We got a booth in the corner overlooking the waterpark, just like we do at the Kalahari. It was $55 plus tip for the 2 adults and 2 children (age 12 is the cutoff for a kid) but it was worth it!! We ate there again on Saturday night! I have a shellfish allergy and one of the chefs got me a piece of salmon and some potatoes fresh from the stove without any shrimp. Nice touch, like they do at Disney.

Friday night we went to the Bass Pro Shop to snag "Black Friday" deals, which was about 20 min away.

Oh, the MagiQuest. We did SO much walking for that. Make sure you wear comfy shoes. We never trusted our kids on their own, so we accompanied them over the many elevator rides and stair climbings they endured. My 12 year old daughter acted like she was too cool for it, so we only purchased one wand (the cheapest kind with the PAW PASS) for the kids to share. It ended up being that she was the one most interested and motivated to complete the quests! They shared nicely and I would recommend sharing. We bought a PAW PASS for $60 from the gift shop on level 2 that basically included one magiwand, one stuffed animal (build-a-bear like in the lobby) ice cream, souvenir plastic cup with pop,color your own tshirt or pillowcase, candy cup, pin, and 20 arcade tokens (worth $5). If you plan on buying at least the magiwand and stuffed animal those together would be $50 so you basically get all the extras we would not have purchased for $10..... The kids just shared items.

I bought a Vera Bradley purse in the gift shop.... They had great things in there.

The waterpark was a great waterpark. We loved the big play structure with buckets and sprays better than the Kalahari's. There wasn't the amount of water on the floor surrounding it, making it appear warmer since it was just a floor. The zip coaster I loved better too, but no one else did. The wave pool was of course smaller with smaller waves, but still enjoyed just as much. There wasn't the crowds like the Kalahari, even though it was sold out on Friday. The lines were shorter than the Kalahari, but less variety with rides since it was smaller. However, it had everything you needed. Cute floating snake and leaf structures in the small basketball court pool. Missed the outdoor hot tub from the Kalahari, here there was only an inside one, but also an adults only one. Everything seemed to be more 'family oriented' here.

We did the take out pizza family deal for lunch Sat. for $30 which came with a salad, cookies and 2 litre. You order at the Loose Moose desk and then pick it up 20 min later. It was filling, not too bad. We liked it. Swimming makes you hungry. We ate it in the room for the OSU vs MICH game.

I could say so much more, but my review is already too long! Enjoy!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Wolf Den- take any room that is ready upon check in!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!