“Loved the Great Wolf Lodge” 5 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2501 Great Wolf Drive, Mason, OH 45040   |
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Mason
WV
“Loved the Great Wolf Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2007

We took our boys (ages 8 & 6) for a quick one night trip to the Great Wolf Lodge on December 7th. The lobby was decorated beautifully and really put us in the Christmas spirit. Check in was easy and quick, as we arrived around 3:00pm perhaps we missed the rush. We headed straight to our room (Wolf Den) to change. The boys loved having bunk beds and their own TV. The room was perfect for kids.

Much to our delight there were probably less than 50 people in the water park when we went in. Needless to say, we rode everything several times. My oldest loved the roller coaster type ride. My youngest was just a little too short to ride it, but he did not want to anyway. The water park was very clean and well staffed even with so few people there. Not all of the lifeguards are friendly, but unfortunately I expect that when there are mostly teenage kids working in a place.

We ate dinner in the bar-type restaurant in the main lobby. While we were waiting for our dinner we walked in the lobby and enjoyed the show. My kids thought it was cool that it "snowed" in the lobby. Dinner was good and the service was very good. We also enjoyed the game room for a while after dinner and dessert at the little shop outside of the water park.

The next morning we ate at the breakfast buffet. I'm not a big fan of buffets, but the food was good and very reasonable. After we packed up the car we headed back to the water park. Although it was more crowded, we never waited more than a few minutes for anything.

The showers and changing area are very nice for leaving the park. We were headed to the Zoo before returning home, so it was nice to get cleaned up and be able to dry our hair before heading outside in the cold.

We will definitely return to the Great Wolf Lodge. We love water parks and it's great to be able to enjoy them year round. I really thought it was decorated wonderfully for Christmas too.

• Liked — Water park, theme, activities
  • Disliked — Nothing; it was great!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
louisville, ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2007

Stayed here one night with my husband and our three kids. We booked a standard room, which was sufficient for one night. We loved the waterpark which was very clean and well-attended by lifeguards. The show inthe lobby each night is cute and whether you choose to eat on or off property, there are plenty of nearby options.

• Liked — water park
  • Disliked — restaurant prices
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Portsmouth, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2007

Me, my husband, and 3 kids stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge (in Mason) in March for the first time. My kids LOVED it! There is so much to do there! My kids ages are 3, 6, and 10. There is stuff to do foe all ages, even adults. The adults can have a drink while watching the kids have fun. (We enjoyed that.) I had forgotten to bring a life jacket for my 3 year old, but when we got inside I realized they had tons of life vests you can borrow. I was relieved. My 10 year old loved the big water slides, he did it for hours! There's small "toddler sized" slides for the little ones, and the water is shallow. This place was MUCH nicer than I expected. And bigger! I would definitely reccomend this place who anyone who wants to treat your kids to a weekend of fun. They will love it. The rooms there are about what you would expect. Decent / clean. Nothing fancy though. Comparable to maybe a Holiday or Ramada Inn room.

• Liked — waterpark was bigger than i expected
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Allen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

Perfect place for families!! The rooms were nice and clean. The beds were comfortable. The waterpark has something for everyone--from toddlers to teenagers to adults. I cannot think of a thing I would change. It was definitely worth the $189 we paid for the 5 of us. It is quite a treat to go to an indoor waterpark when it is cold and rainy out. Highly recommended!!

• Liked — Indoor waterpark was great
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Knoxville, Tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2007

We went Oct 21 for 2 nights. We were a party of 5-2 families with a total of 3 kids. For the economical way, we booked the family suite but I asked about upgrading upon arrival. We were upgraded to the kids cabin which was GREAT for the kids!!! The room was nice, we were
on the second floor. Glad that we were not at the end of the hallway bc it would be ALONG walk to the main lobby.

The waterpark was great for our kids who were ages 7-9. All
waterslides were operating and the lifeguards were sooo nice. After each ride, many would ask if it was fun-we thought that was nice. I guess the best part about the waterpark was that it was not crowded. We were there on Sun-Tues and we waited no more than 10 people in line for a waterslide. I could see where crowding would be a major turn off since the facitily was not huge like an outdoor park.

Another nice touch was the "trick or treating" that they did at night
for the kids. Nothing overboard, just a short walk around the hotel to gather candy. The kids thought it was great!

My only negative comment is that we ate all meals at Camp Critter because no one told us that the Loose Moose would be closed for dinner on night 2 and that on morning 2 it was closed for a private party. We had no plans on leaving the hotel so for us this was a bummer but the food and service was excellent at Camp Critter. (oh, the sleeper sofa couch was like sleeping on cardboard, hehe, my friend said the bed was MUCH better so stay away from the sleeper sofa)

We are all definately planning on going back to the Mason location. 2 nights is ample amount of time and go when it is the off season.

Key Notes: Ask for an upgrade in room-if they are not booked they should accomodate you, bring your own snacks-sign says you cant but everyone had their own goodies and lastly check if all restaurants will be open. Park is very fun for ages 12 and under-seems like 12 and older would have fun but not as much to do for them. We will be back for many more yrs to come.

• Liked — Waterpark and Friendliness of Staff
  • Disliked — Restaurants closed
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
Beavercreek OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

1. Noise. We had to call front desk around 1 am when the guests in the room above use kept jumping up and down on the floors. This went on for hours. I would expect better construction to prevent that much noise.

2. Quality of food. The food was mediocre. We had the dinner buffet on Saturday night and the chicken and ham was dry. The crab legs were over cooked. Many items were bland. I'd expect more based on the costs of the hotel and buffet.

3. Bar: We ordered a frozen drink and the 1st bartender did an excellent job in making it. About an hour later we ordered another one and the female bartender didn't make it correctly. It was more of a slushy. When we asked if she could blend it longer she added more ice and it ended up being just an icy. The next day, we wanted a drink while inside the park and the same bartender was there. We again had to have her fix the dinks, only to have them messed up. At $15 each time, we felt we should be able to get a good drink...

4. On a positive note, my wife loved her time at the spa. She had a full body massage, facial, and pedicure. She had nothing but praise for the staff. Great job there.

5. On our last day, we wanted to ride the water slides. The roller coaster slide was backed up while the other (round) one wasn't, sot they took one of the rafts off and only operated w/ one. After completing our turn on the roller coaster slide, we got in line for the "round" one. By this time the line had backed up. When I mentioned to the life guard/attendant that the previous attendant had removed one of the rafts and that it might go faster if he'd put one more back on (so that they’re operating two rafts) he said that they couldn't because of a lack of personnel. Then he wanted to pack our raft w/ extra people to make the line go faster. This made our ride less enjoyable and totally frustrated me with the experience.

6. Overall you have a great park, but there was no accountability for many of the kids that ran wild. Running and jumping in rooms until after 1am kept my wife and I up and made our next day miserable.

7. This was a combined birthday/anniversary trip for us. I was hoping for a bit more exclusiveness. For the price of the rooms, I’d have expected better accommodations/service.

Stayed September 2007
lexington kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2007

tons of fun for the whole family. we really enjoyed it and plan to go back.

• Liked — we never haad to leave the hotel, food games water park everything was right there!
  • Disliked — it was a little pricey but worth it for the amount of fun we had.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!