“Stay Away From Here” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Marietta
Toledo Ohio
“Stay Away From Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

Well, I finally decided to write this. I had to stay here because my usual, the Hampton, was sold out. It was Marietta College Homecoming and I guess the alum have figured out not to stay here. The other reviewers are correct - this place is worn out and needs to be either closed or totally gutted. It limps by with small quilt conventions and antiques groups. Simple suggestion - if you cannot get another hotel in Marietta, drive up or down 77 to avoid this place

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Lancaster, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

You really cannot beat the location of this hotel at the confluence of the Hocking and Ohio Rivers; the scenery is so beautiful. You are next to the small and quaint shopping of "downtown" Marietta and within walking distance of the Valley Gem (river boat ride), Trolley Tour, and River Museum, Campus Martius Museum, and Railroad Walking Bridge over the Muskingum River. Several restaurants and a riverside park and bike pather are also nearby. If you are interested in Ohio history, you will feel the thrill of being in a historic hotel that is decorated in a Victorian style. The service was adequate, and the room was clean. The bar overlooks the rivers.
Many things about this hotel need improvement. For example, the elevator was very small and was out of service when we arrived forcing us to use the service elevator to get our luggage to the room. I barely fit the luggage cart into the elevator when we left. The carpet in the stairwell and the hallway was filthy down the middle, only the edges were clean. The furniture in the room looked beautiful, but was uncomfortable, covered with cheap fabrics and thin cushioning. The hotel renovators put their money in the wrong amenities and went cheap in areas that really count. There was a wet bar in the room, but it seemed superfluous without a refrigerator. There were two TVs when one would have been sufficient. This money would be better spent on good mattresses and new bedding. The mattress was cheap and board-like. The bedspread was a cheap and uncomfortable polyester. The flat bottom sheet was too small and kept coming untucked all the time leaving us to sleep on the dubious mattress. The blanket was ancient and wool, of all things. The window air conditioner was excessively noisy and positioned over the bed so we were chilly because of the inadequate bedding. The AC kept blowing the blind open creating a strobe effect. One window shade was missing so the room was lit up at night from the street lights, and the road noise was abominable as well for a small town. Needless to say, we did not get much sleep at this hotel and that does not make for a very good vacation. The bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen in a hotel, more like a closet, really. The tile needed regrouting and getting in and out of the very small, dark shower was a hazard. It is very unlikely that we would return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

We chose the River Romp deal and upgraded the room. Had a balcony overlooking the Ohio and Muskingum Rivers and LOVED our stay. Realized this was a historic motel, so not the amenities of modern ones. Would recommend the hotel, with the stipulation that the room has a balcony overlooking the rivers.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

I needed to write this review to tell just how bad this place is, if it helps someone get a good nights sleep my job is done. With nearly 50 years of staying in hotels/motels I thought I've seen it all. I am not a picky traveler, I read some of the reviews on here and find the people who write have way to high of expectations.

When staying at a hotel/motel my expectations are that I get a decent nights sleep, feel relatively safe, be relatively clean, and have the folks who work there be somewhat helpful and friendly. Some places have failed in more than one area, many help to fix the problem and if not I leave the next day. Then comes the Laffayette, it fails so miserably in the sleep category it is in a class by itself.

My wife and I usually go on an overnight away from the kids 3-4 times a year. We don't travel far, usually within 2 hours of home. The Lafayette is an old turn of the century hotel. The decor reflected this and is was clean enough. The common areas were fine and the restaurant and ballrooms looked good. We got a room with their bed and breakfast special. Check in was smooth and we were assigned room 205. Upon entering the room the first thing noticed is that it was very small, maybe 8X10 ft or a little bigger. The bed was queen size, old, bouncy and squeaky. The decor was old/antique. The bathroom was smaller than most peoples closets. It had a small shower and the toilet was situated behind the sink in such a way as it was a tight fit to sit down and to wipe when finished. I'm about 6ft 1 inch and 200lbs, had I been any taller and 50lbs heavier I would have had to find other arrangements. But this was fine with us, this is a old turn of the century hotel, we are adventuresome and all this really didn't matter.

We had not been there 10 minutes and discovered the big problem though, the noise. I have stayed in places where I've commented that the walls were paper thin, these wall were onion paper thin. The street was below us and we could have been setting on the sidewalk with the amount of noise coming into the room. But even worse was the walls between the rooms. A gentleman came into the room right beside of us and we could hear everything he did. First he called someone and told them he made it there and then he called somewhere else and was giving his credit card info. I could have wrote down the numbers, expiration, his name, and the security code on the back of the card. He hung up and unzipped his suitcase, he may has well have been in the room with us.

We left the room and stopped at the front desk where I asked for another room, we were told the only others available was a smaller room with twin beds. We stayed put, hoping to tough it out. We checked out the town of Marietta and returned about 10pm for a nights sleep, romance was out as I'm not an exhibitionist and the walls would have offered no privacy. Sleeping was impossible, the noise from the street and bars across the street made it futile, I really could have set the bed on the sidewalk and slept as well. Then about 11 pm our neighbor fell asleep and wouldn't you know, he snored. Not as bad as I've heard before but it was like he was in the room with us, we could hear him breathing. I looked at my wife and we both decided to leave right then. So at 12:45 am we checked out. I told the clerk the reason and turned in our breakfast coupons and we left and drove home. If we had been from far out of town we would have been out of luck. Stay away from this place, or at least request a room away from the street side. This is the worst place to stay if you want sleep I ever found.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
York, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

After reading several negative reviews before our trip, I wanted to share my experience! We had a wonderful stay and loved the atmosphere at the Lafayette Hotel. By historic hotel standards, the room was a good size; it was comfortable and clean. The view of the river is glorious and the restaurant was very good. We walked around town and found interesting shops and other historic sites worth checking out on your visit!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Cincy, Oh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

We liked the Lafayette. Friendly staff. The room may have been somewhat small, but we knew that going in. Room was clean. Air conditioner was new and worked great. The hotel is within walking distance to several nice shops, and a few restaurants and a microbrewery. We had the breakfast buffet in the Gun Room restaurant at the hotel. The food was excellent. We will stay at the Lafayette anytime we are in Marietta again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

My stay at the Lafayette was anything but "the best Ohio has to offer," as the advertisements state. My room was about the size of a college dorm room, with the bed taking up the entire room, and the bed spread also had a rip down the center of it. Also, there was no closet in the room...my closet was four rusty hooks on the wall with some wire hangers hanging off of them. My curtains - which I assume used to be white - were dingy and tattered, the paint was chipping off the walls, and there was a dirty hand print on the celing. The bathroom was about as big as a closet, and all of the towels were freyed around the edges. I was (unfortunately) staying for a week, so I had requested a refridgerator in my room when I made the reservaton. To my dismay, the refridgerator looked like it had been stored in a shed for 10 years...and was completely filthy inside when I opened the door. Also, to my surprise, there was no iron or ironing board in my room. The front desk staff was extremely rude when I called to ask if an iron and ironing board was avaliable, and then they had the nerve to ask me to come down to get it! And speaking of the staff, never in my life have I been treated so rudely by hotel staff before. They were unfriendly and unhelpful, and dressed very inappropriately - in sloppy, dirty clothes, and untucked shirts. Never again will I be staying at this hotel - the advertisements you see on like are completely false advertising!

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Lafayette? Share your experiences!