“A gem in the middle of Marietta” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, International
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Reservations
Baltimore, Maryland
“A gem in the middle of Marietta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

As of this writing Austyn's is rated number 10 in Marietta. It is hard to imagine that it is not number 1. Most of the reasons for low ratings are tied to being unfriendly to families and children. We say Bravo! Not every restaurant should cater to the whims of screaming little kids or overindulgent parents. Austyn's is a sophisticated restaurant designed for quiet dining with great food in a style that appeals to the more mature patron. If you want a place that will put up with an ill-tempered child who wants to play games on his/her cell phone during dinner, then take them somewhere else.

That being said, if you want absolutely great food, creatively styled and prepared, then Austyn's is for you. My wife had a chicken breast that was lightly sauced in a basil cream with small pieces of prosciutto along with a potato cake. She loved it, and so did I as I finished off what she did not eat. I had the roasted duck breast with a plum sauce served with wasabi mashed potatoes. My meal made my eyes roll back into my head, it was that good. I asked for medium rare and got it. The plum sauce was obvious but not overly sweet. It did what it was supposed to do -- enhance the duck. We then finished the meal with a chocolate cake and coffee. It was a wonderful ending to a nice experience.

As far as atmosphere...There were no screaming kids or loud families. We sat at the bar and had a delightful time. The woman behind the bar added much to the experience with her contributions to the conversation and attention to our needs. The place is small, so be prepared to wait for a table or make a reservation. But, by all means go. It would be a shame to miss this experience when in Marietta. And when you read the reviews of those people who gave the place a 1, remember that in many ways that is a positive recommendation. It means that you will not find loud obnoxious children there and that you will have an enjoyable experience.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

72% Recommend
Warren, Ohio
“Great place for Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The food was great, not too expensive, service was great. We stop here everytime we are in Marietta. The only thing difficult is finding a parking place but we've never had a problem

Visited July 2013
charleston
“Sushi Night done right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Austyn's offers its sushi menu starting in spring and usually lasting through the end of summer. The fish is said to be flown in fresh the day before its once-weekly debut each Wednesday, and the taste certainly seems to confirm that claim. From slightly "over-the-top" offerings, such as Surf and Turf rolls featuring lobster wrapped in succulent strips of filet to the spider, crab, and double tuna rolls, all taste impossibly fresh and delicious. Presentation is spectacular, with rolls, sushi, and sashimi artfully and colorfully arranged with ginger, wasabi and sauces worthy of the quality of the fish with which they partner. Try a unique saki (they have an admirable selection) or cucumber martini (delicious!) to wash it all down. The value considering the quality is amazing, and the servers are a delight!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
SVaughn1
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Not being familiar with the dining options in Marietta we found there weren't many places open on Sunday evening --- but we did find Austyn's! ....and we're glad we did!

The ambiance is very nice. ....some seating outside --- but we opted for indoors; not too many tables and the booths providing some privacy....decor and lighting very nice.

We had the Spinach Walnut Salad and the Mediterranean Pasta --- and wrapped up the evening with the Peanut Butter Pie. The salad was generous in size and had plenty of spinach and ample add-ins --- go with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing to make it better; The pasta also was a generous helping with artichoke hearts, olives and other yummy additions. It is in a very light oil-based 'sauce' --- so that too is "good" for you. ;-D We were craving a dessert of some kind and were considering finding a local ice cream place --- but we asked to see the desserts --- and when we saw the peanut butter pie --- we wrote off the ice cream. YUM!!

To give you an idea of portions --- my wife and I always split meals to minimize our intake --- and this meal was perfect for two. If you are a big eater --- then you'll be even happier.

Nathan was our waiter and did a very good job of keeping an eye on us --- but not hovering over us. Much appreciated!

The only thing that might have made it better was if I had an espresso to go with my pie....but definitely not a big deal not having one and it did not diminish our experience.

We had been on the road most of the day --- so this was the perfect ending to our day! Thank you Austyn's!!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fleming, Ohio
“Diverse menue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I have eaten here before and have always been happy with the food and service but the food Saturday night was exceptional. I had the pork chop with Gouda sauce and it was near perfect - very juicy and savory. My wife had a seafood dish (sorry I don't remember the name) but it had pasta, lobster, shrimp and scallops, that she raved about. Austyn's is one of our "go to" restaurants in Marietta.

• Visited May 2013