“Great place to vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of South Beach Resort Hotel

You added South Beach Resort Hotel to your Saves list
South Beach Resort Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8620 E Bayshore Rd, Sandusky Bay, Port Clinton, Put-In-Bay, Sandusky, Marblehead, OH 43440   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Marblehead
Centerville, Ohio
“Great place to vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

This was the first time a ever found a hotel online without having been there first; it looked nice so I booked it. About a week later I looked on tripadvisor and was worried... I had already paid for the whole stay and 53% said they did not recomend it!
IT WAS GREAT! The people working there were so nice! They helped us find nice places to eat and helped with directions. It is only a short drive from just about everything, we did the lighthouse the night we got there, put-in-bay the second day and went to Sandusky our last day. The rooms and property look just like the pictures! We were traveling with our 2 young children (6 and 18 months) and they loved it. If you are looking for a really romantic place, keep looking! This is a place for familys (why else would they have 3 pools, a playground and a sundeck shaped like a ship?)
My children are very well behaved, however the children in the room next to ours were not (the last night of our stay). They awoke at 4am , there was crying, screaming and people going in and out of the balconey door. At about 5:30am there was a loud knock on their door... it was the police, someone in that room had called 911 (kids playing with the phone). Although they were loud and I could hear most of what was going on my girls did not wake up. The following day I said something about it to the lady at the desk when she informed me that the couple under us had really complained about the family (luckly they had no issues with us, but like I said my girls are well behaved). I wish people would not judge this place poorly because of what ignorant parents let their children do (like calling 911, or going in and out the balconey). Anyone with kids understand that spending the night away from home is hard on children.
We had a great time, and would love to go back next year!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

Family Weekend
Our fourth summer vacation at South beach Resort was as good as great as it was our first time. Our family of 7 has always had a wonderful time at South Beach Resort. It is like going back in time to a place where you get to see, do, eat, and experience for the first time what is really important in life. It is not a glitzy Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons but it is just as good and much better in other ways. The accommodations are like your own personal summer cabins on Lake Erie. The kind my grandfather always took us in the summer giving us so many wonderful memories. The cottages are very clean and well taken care of. Ours is huge, but we do have five children so that is important. Everyone has their own space. Our 17 year old has his own room and bath. The 4, 5 and 8 year olds sleep in a 2 bedroom suite that has its own bathroom. The baby sleeps in a crib in the master bedroom. We grill out and relax on the Adirondack chairs and watch the sunset over the Lake in the evenings.
This time my sister even came for a couple of days and stayed at the Hotel. We usually stay in the cottages but I will be coming back in the fall with my husband and we will stay in the hotel. A romantic weekend just when the leaves are changing.

This week we went fishing, swimming, kayaking, or did other activities at the resort with our kids. The Pirate Ship Sundeck is always a hit. We visited the islands and Cedar Point.

We hope to keep going for many more years. If you want a chance to go back in time with your family come to South Beach Resort, you will not regret it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Mansfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

"Customer Service" are two words that this place does not recognize. After having to postpone a reservation not only did they not allow the reschedule, they also charged the card and said that they had no record of it. This was even after sending phone records of the calls. After calling over a dozen times to speak to the general manager, an associate finally returned my call after two months and said that the manager didn't want to do anything to correct their mistake and didn't have time to talk to me personally. They also refused to give me contact information for anyone higher in the organization. I'm thankful now after knowing this that I didn't stay because I can't imagine what the service would be like inside if it is that poor to potential customers.

• Liked — The fact that I never had to stay
  • Disliked — The worst service I've ever had in any service establishment
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

Best overall customer service expirience we have had in a long time. In a world where common sense and the customer comes first mentality seems to have all but disappeared, the South Beach Resort is a welcome change. The grounds were lovely and family friendly, there is plenty to do without ever leaving the resort!

We arrived late on the first night of our stay and were checked in by a very friendly young man. When we got into our room we thought we might want to just order a pizza instead of getting back in the car. When we asked the gentleman at the front desk he was concerned about the late hour but still HE personally contacted several pizza delivery places and although he was unable to contact any that were open, we got the feeling that he would not be able to sleep that night because he was not able to find us a pizza. : )

We stayed for 3 days and on the day that we were suppose to check out we called the desk to ask if we could remain at the resort and use the facilities for the day and then access the marina showers to clean up before leaving. Not only we're we permitted to do so, but the lady at the front desk came to our room, brought us fresh towels and said we could stay in and use the room until WE were ready to go! We we're astonished.

Price is right, gounds are clean and well kept. Staff is friendly and extremely accomodating!

Thank you, South Beach for an outstanding anniversary!!!

• Liked — So many things to do.
  • Disliked — No restraunt on site. Would be helpful to have in room refridgerator and/or microwave.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

We booked this place hoping for a nice, quiet, romantic weekend. We have been to many resorts, not only in Ohio but also in many spots around the globe. This is NOT a resort. Indeed, it is NOT even an average hotel. We originally looked at the place's website, and it did look ok, but when we arrived, we found the website photos were very misleading. The rooms with balconies (supposedly their " best " rooms which faced the bay) were very far from the water, and looked out mainly onto (in order) a beach sand volleyball court, a kiddie pool and adjacent swimming pool, a playground with a kiddie fort and log cabin, another swimming pool, a shuffleboard court,, and cottages lining both sides of the above attractions. Needless to say, this was not the place for what we wanted. Now for the bad news: We tried to cancel our reservation, but were told we could not do so even though it was very early afternoon. They were adamant about this, so we decided to stay. We found that the rooms to be small, plain, and not so clean. The mattress was very old and uncomfortable. There were no fitted sheets, the pillows were flat, and tthe towels threadbare. The walls are paper tissue thin, and we were treated to interesting sounds from above and beside us. The floors squeak, as does the elevator floor ( a first in our experience!) The balcony is very small, with 2 uncomfortable small chairs (hardly the place to sit and read - especially with the sun directly in your eyes until 7 pm). Lastly, the price for this "treat" was very high. In short, we made a BIG mistake when we decided to stay here. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE. This is a $50 a night room at best, and at that price it might be ok provided you are enroute to a better hotel but your car has broken down in front of it.

• Disliked — most everything but price was out of line
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

My husband and I booked this last minute day of so we knew absolutely nothing of the place. It does appear decent when you first walk in. We booked a lake front jacuzzi room. The view was ok but you are far back from the lake...however the walls are paper thin. We had some very rude inconsiderate individuals in the room above us that no kidding ran back and forth, argued, yelled, stomped, etc from the time we checked in about 6:30 pm. still going strong after returning from dinner at 8:00 p.m. We think they will quiet down and go to bed, nope still doing it at midnight finally at 3:30 a.m. my husband goes to their room and asks them to plese quiet down, quiet for half an hour then back at it. Got absolutely NO SLEEP! What kind of place tolerates this kind of behavior? No doubt this group was having a Sat night party but come on...all in all the place sucks and we did talk to the front desk and they said they couldn't do anything about it. I would NEVER go back! I'm not that hard to please and can adapt fairly easily but this was beyond ridiculous the whole thing makes me mad just thinking about it. Take my advice stay at a little old mom and pops before you stay here!

• Liked — by the lake
  • Disliked — Paper thin walls
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

We just returned from a Labor Day holiday at the Lake Erie shores and islands, and we stayed at the SBR. It was pricey, but the room with a jacuzzi was clean and roomy. We overlooked the Lake and property--if you have kids they will love this place, no matter what the age. My 15 year old and I played a game of tennis, while my 12 and 10 year olds played on the nicely equipped playground.

The kiddie pool and main "upper" pool are nice, but the pool down by the lake and beach is very cool--the view is great, and the whirlpool was nice, considering the breeze coming in during the evening we were there. The beach area was nice also.

As for the islands, Put-In-Bay was fun, we rented a golf cart and just went all over the place. Perry's Monument was open, so we went to the top for a great view and history lesson from the Rangers. Check out a little store named "Del Sol"--everything in the store changes colors when exposed to the sun--t-shirts to nailpolish! P-I-B is definitely a party isle as the afternoon progressed to early evening. Kelley's Island is really laid back, and you must see the Glacial Grooves--very interesting and unique. Good weekend trip/quick get away for anyone!

• Liked — The amenities
  • Disliked — pricey
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to South Beach Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!