“Local family restaurant, Mantua, Ohio” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Mantua
Cuisines: American
Cleveland, Ohio
“Local family restaurant, Mantua, Ohio”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Jakes has very good food, pleasant, friendly atmosphere, the only negative is the condition of the seats for the booths but regardless, I go there fairly often for breakfast, dinner or a drink or two once a month on Karaoke night.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Alexandria, Kentucky
“Great family restaurant tucked away in a small town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I found myself with a couple of friends looking for something to eat in the small town of Mantua, OH late on a Friday evening. Not wanting the local burger joint, we opted for a small store front off the main drag of Rt 44 that said Jakes on a small sign out front. It looked like a bar, and when we walked in at 8:30 I asked if they were still serving and they said yes. We sat down and looked over the menu. Lots of good looking choices, but at this late time, I opted for the all you can eat fried fish dinner special. My partner got the fish platter and the other guy got the Perogis, fried with onions.

We were all pleasantly surprised at how good and fresh the food was this late at night. They served fresh cut French fries, not the frozen kind. The white fish was breaded, but was crisp on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. The cole slaw was good. All in my party thought the food was good. We were surprised when the staff started to clean up, but we were not rushed out the door. The waitress just said they were closing the doors at 9PM, their normal closing time.

At that point I realized this was a restaurant with a bar, and not a bar with a restaurant. We inquired about breakfast on a Saturday morning, and they said they opened at 7AM. We came back the next morning and we all had a great breakfast. That will be another review.

The price was very reasonable, actually low for what it would cost in a chain place, for frozen foods, and the service was very good. I can only highly recommend this place, and next time in the area, I will stop by again.

• Visited June 2013
Rochester, Michigan
“Homemade food; WAY better than McDonalds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Pulled off the highway looking for anything NOT fast food on our way back to Michigan yesterday. We were pleasantly surprised by Jake's. The town isn't necessarily a destination, but it is clean and had decent parking. Jake's itself is reminiscent of a lot of small, privately-owned diners throughout small-town America; Nothing fancy, but clean and serviceable. The service was efficient and friendly and the food was really good. A lot of variety on the menu, which can sometimes mean nothing is good -- but they pulled it off. We ordered nacho's -- don't expect real mexican nachos, but they were tasty and the salsa tasted like fresh, it was really good. We also ordered the fish special which was also very good. My sons ordered a Reuben and a Gyro which they both said were good, not the "best ever" but very good. And I ordered the Perogi and Kielbasa which were also very good. My husband drives past this town when he heads out east a lot for work and definitely plans to be back!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Garrettsville, Ohio
“What an American Family restaurant should be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Friendly, clean, wonderful overall experience. Jody and her staff offer a relaxing comfortable
atmosphere, its like being with family. Great variety on menu. Breakfast is large and taste great no matter what item you choose. Lunch & dinner specials. This is located in downtown older building, very americona, It reminds me of days gone by. A little slower pace and enjoyable. prices are reasonable. Reccomend you stop in and give it a try.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Scottsdale, Arizona
“A fulfilling breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We had breakfast here a few days ago. no nonsense place. waitresses efficient and fake. coffee good, steak breakfast was nicely done. a rela piece of meat, eggs done well, potatoes and bread in a nice portion for $7.49. My wife had the western omelette and commented on it being nicely done too( $ 5.49).
All in all a good place for a brekfast stop. no frills

• Visited December 2012