“Winans House Madison B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Winans House

Winans House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madison
Winans House
You added Winans House to your Saves list
143 River Street, Madison, OH 44057   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Madison B&B and Inns
Lititz, Pennsylvania
“Winans House Madison B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We have visited a few B&B's in this area. The Winans House is by far the most comforting and original. A beautiful Victorian house, fantastic furniture, the bed was perfect, the hospitality unsurpassed. So clean you feel at home immediately. I felt like I was visiting old friends. My wife tells people I was being spoiled by the inn keepers - they are wonderful people. The breakfasts were scrumptious and the house was just totally comfortable. Makes you want to take your shoes off and curl up in the living room with a good book...which I actually did. Anytime we can be in this area, this would be our first choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Middleburg Heights, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Winans House B&B for a quick weekend trip. This was our first time staying at a B&B, and I wasn't too sure what to expect. The pictures on the web-site do not do the house justice. The Victorian style home is filled with so many amazing details, and the innkeepers have kept the decor very true to the time period. We stayed in the King James room which included a sitting area and an updated bathroom, equip with a Jacuzzi tub.

The stay included a breakfast that was served in the formal dining room. The innkeepers Jim and Georgia made us feel very comfortable and welcome. Georgia prepared the amazing breakfast, while Jim served and cleared the table. Watching the couple work together was heartwarming. The innkeepers provide great conversation. We were told about the history of the house, as well as the history of Madison. By the time we left, my husband and I felt that we had known Jim and Georgia for years, and we were sad to leave. I would recommend the Winans House to anyone who is traveling to the Geneva/ Madison area. My husband and I will definitely plan another stay at the B&B.

I forgot to mention that I have a food allergy and have difficulty tolerating dairy products. Georgia made sure that breakfast was prepared so that I could eat everything. My mother is the only other person who alters recipes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
north ridgeville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed at the Winans House B&B in the beginning of May (2013) for a quick one day get away from the kids and to celebrate my wife’s birthday. It is an old century house that was originally a doctor’s office and has been extensively renovated by the owners Jim and Georgia. It has much character and quite fascinating stories to go with it. While my wife and I generally gravitate toward a more modern décor when we travel, we couldn’t have been more comfortable than we found ourselves at the Winans House. We stayed in the King James suite. Very nice large room which included a sitting area that allowed for a short lived rest before our dinner. The bathroom was nicely updated with a jacuzzi unfortunately our schedule didn’t work out that we could actually relax in it for even a short time. We ate dinner at the Vault Restaurant which is a 5 minute walk to the center of Madison from the house. It’s a higher end steakhouse that had plenty of nice selections if you are looking for that. We finished with a night cap and entertainment at one of the local wineries. The room doesn’t have a TV (Jim said they do have WIIFI) but we didn’t notice anyway. In the morning we had coffee outside at the back table and relaxed in the warmth of the sun until breakfast was served. Breakfast was excellent with yogurt, French toast with peaches and sausage and a blueberry cobbler. Jim and Georgia were as welcoming as you could hope B&B hoists would be. Very engaging which lead to some enjoyable conversations. My wife and I have stayed in B&B’s in California (San Francisco, Napa and Sonoma) and we consider our stay at the Winans House to be of equal par with several of those. If we find ourselves returning to this area we would definitely consider staying here again only this time for two days so we could enjoy the Jacuzzi.

Room Tip: The other room looked very comfortable as well
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lorain, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed here in October 2012, which was our first stay at a B&B. We were very impressed. We were thankful that we spent Friday and Saturday, one night would not have been enough to enjoy the house or the area. The innkeepers are wonderful, sincere people. They make sure you are comfortable and will tell you anything about the house and the area. The house and the rooms are very clean, the bed comfortable, and everything that you would need is even in the bathroom if you forgot something. There were also wine glasses and a cork screw in the room. Breakfast was served very elegantly and wonderful. Everything was great.

Edinboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in October 2012 for our 16th anniversary. To be honest, we were a little bit unsure of what to expect after viewing their web page, but were happy once we arrived! The entire property was very clean (important to us). Our room was comfortable and the bathroom with claw-foot tub was fully stocked with anything we may have forgotten at home. The owners were very friendly and the breakfast was delicious. We were visiting the wineries in the area and the B&B is perfectly located in the middle of them all!

The only negatives were the tight parking behind the house (I had a tough time backing my Honda Pilot down the skinny driveway out to the street), and the house is on a main street (so you hear cars through the night). The street noise wasn't a big problem for us since we always bring white noise machines with us when we travel.

Room Tip: Bring a white noise machine if you're a light sleeper. The rooms are next to a main road.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This historic home is now run by a lovely couple as a Bed and Breakfast. Though they've only have ran the home as a B&B for 5 years, they state they've owned it for 20 years and you can see the love and work that they have put into the home. The home has been redone to resemble a typical Victorian home with most of the work being completed by the owners over the years. If you're interested in the history of the home, the owners can give it along with all the thing they have done to restore it. The B&B only has two rooms but both are huge with large private baths. The owners also live on the premise in a connected portion of the home. The rooms are furnished with beautiful old furniture. However, don't go expecting to sit down and watching your favorite TV show. Neither room has a television and if they did, you would be wasting your time in the area. The home is only a few miles from several major vineyards in the area and you can spend the whole day and evening at the various vineyards. However if you spend the whole day, then you probably will want to get a private driver. The quiet little town also looked like it would have been fun to walk through but we were short on time and couldn't see it.

The couple (Jim and Georgia) that owned it were very delightful and were happy to share any information about the area and make recommendations. The breakfast that was served was delicious and was served in the formal dining room. By the time you are finished, you will be about ready to pop. They also left little snacks all around the home. It was a dieter's nightmare, luckily I wasn't planning on dieting for this trip.

If you're in the area looking for a B&B, then I would highly recommend visiting Winans House. Between the beautiful home, comfortable room and bed, wonderful owners, fantastic breakfast, and perfect location to the vineyards, you won't go wrong!

Allendale MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was our 5th visit to Winan's House and we can't wait to return! Georgia and Jim are perfect hosts. The home is beautifully appointed, very roomy guest suites with period antiques and fireplaces. Jim keeps the entire property in perfect condition. Georgia's breakfasts are reason enough for us to drive 6 hours to visit, they are always delicious and served perfectly. To compliment the wonderful meal, her dining table is always a picture, yet comfortable and inviting. The front porch is a great place to watch the world go by or the garden in the back is a peaceful retreat. There are several good restaurants within walking distance; antique shops, wineries, covered bridges and many parks to visit. We do travel a bit and this is our favorite B&B. We highly recommend a visit!

Room Tip: Both rooms are beautiful, one done in darker tones - King James The other suite is light and airy...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Winans House? Share your experiences!