“Very unpleasant experience” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast
Cleveland, Ohio
“Very unpleasant experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We decided to come to Granite City for Sunday Brunch on 1/19/2014. We were a family of 5 and checked in at approximately 11:45am. The Sunday Brunch hours are from 10:00am -2:00pm. Upon arrival we were told by management that the Brunch has just ended. We did not expect this considering the website stated 10am-2pm. When we asked why they were ending the Brunch so early, he stated that their Sunday food truck did not arrive so they were unable to accommodate the customers for the remainder of the brunch, but stated that they can accommodate if we stay and order off the dinner menu. I expressed my disappointment along with MANY other customers who came in for the brunch. I was then told that we could still get in on the brunch after all (although many others were turned away and decided to leave). The manager gave out complimentary vouchers for the inconvenience advising us we could come back for another Sunday Brunch. We decided to stay and after about an hour wait we were finally seated. Once seated, we went over to make our plates and noticed that there was an abundance of food. The manager then came over and asked us to give him back the voucher that he gave us. In addition, we were originally told that the Sunday Brunch was $15.95 each but after receiving our bill today we were charged $17.95 each. When we asked the waitress about the increase from just last week, she said management decided to go up an addition $2 due to the unexpected popularity of the Brunch…….Manager’s name is David Heflin. I found him to be very unprofessional and lacking in customer service skills.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
“Glad it's open - but mixed bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Granite City has attracted a nice following - and a long (though artificial, at times) wait since opening in the former (vacant three years) bookstore space at Legacy Village. Nice to see life in this space... and it seems like it is a crowd pleaser, though the nearby Cheesecake Factory is significantly better in the large American food restaurant category.

The Pros - Mostly tasty food, nice interior, lively crowd, good deals via their Mug Club Card (10% off food, beer discounts, etc...), maple bacon flatbread, chopped salad, cheddar ale soup

The Cons - Cancelled their weekend 12-5 Happy Hours since opening (WAS a great deal), their own beers are truly terrible, bartenders ask your name an call you by it (I want to be left alone....), sports bar feel

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lyndhurst, Ohio
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I don't even know where to begin. My first experience was sub par, I heard great things about the food and was excited to try it. I ordered the pepperoni flat break and a cocktail. The server was very soft spoken that she was impossible to hear on a busy night. The drinks were good but over priced. When the food came everyones looked great except for mine..... My flat bread was dry, burnt and hardly had any toppings. I was very disappointed, luckily my friends were gracious enough to share. Needless to say I was not impressed. I have worked in new restaurants and I understand that working out the kinks is a long process.

I decided I would give it another shot, a co-worker and I went to grab a drink and some dinner after work. Oddly enough I was seated at the same table as my first experience. Once we were seated no one came to our table for at least 10 minutes to greet us. After some time a server did asking if we had been helped yet, he got our drink order for us and shortly after our server came to greet us. (Unacceptable anywhere you go). We ordered cocktails and our meals, we both got the adult Mac and cheese. It was excellent, the drinks were pretty good as well. We asked for boxes and the check, she boxed my meal and brought it back with no check. It took her almost 40 minutes to bring us our checks.! In the meantime I asked to see a manager, who also took forever. The server ended up coming back before the manager did. The weather was very bad out that day and my co-worker had a long drive home. We did not mind at first but she wanted to leave before the roads got too bad. Finally a manager came over, she apologized and gave me her business card and reassured me that my next visit would be positive......... I myself am in higher management and I was shocked at the outcome. I am not much of a complainer but this was unreal.

My parents had gone there another time so I warned them of my previous experiences. They said the food was good but once again the service was poor. Also over priced for what you are getting. They decided they would go back. Today they asked me if I would have any interest in going for lunch. I agreed because the Mac and cheese was to die for. The service this trip was much better. Once the food came out I had a puzzled look on my face, my father asked if everything was okay. As I looked at my food it looked nothing like the times I had it before. The color, sauce, smell everything. I thought she may have put the wrong order in, she even agreed she thought it looked funny. She asked if I wanted a new one, I declined because I feared it would still look the same. I ate a few bites and decided it wasn't worth it. The waitress was very nice and seemed like she felt bad. She brought a manager over and he asked what was wrong, he took my plate to "show it to the chef." He never ended up coming back to the table..... The bill came and my meal was still on it, the waitress said she would ask him to take it off. He ended up taking it off but our bill was still around $80 for lunch! Overall I have no intention of ever going back, when you have poor service, food, and management there is no reason to come back. It's very unfortunate because I go to bar Louie all the time after work and was excited to have a cool new place to go. I will just have to wait for the next place!

Cleveland, Ohio
“Forget the Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We had lunch at Granite when they first opened. It was pretty good. Decided to try the Sunday Brunch. Won't do that again. The brunch "foods" are not exactly top notch. They need to hire someone that really knows how to make an omlette. Mine went uneaten. I would have liked to see more "healthy" choices. Everything was fatty and salty.

Willoughby, Ohio
“New Place That Needs Help...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

The first thing this place needs to do is get rid of 'brewery' in their name. Tried a couple of their home brews and they both were really bad. Went as a party of 8 and was worried because I read, not tripadvisor, that the service was pretty bad. No reservations or call ahead so one couple got there at 6 so we could eat at 7. That worked out well and our party of 8 was seated in our own private room right next to the entrance. They must have been having issues with the heat because we were freezing cold pretty much the whole time. The place is enormous and quite loud so if you're looking for a nice quite time try somewhere else. The beer is bad, really bad, and being in the same city as Great Lake Brewery pretty much puts Granite City to shame. Another problem is that the only beer on tap is their own which sucks because they have these really nice 25 oz mugs. The bottled beer selection is very limited but Bud Light will do for me. So we started out with 2 appetizers, the cheese fries and some sort of flat pizza looking thing. Both were very good and were gone in a snap. The service was very good, a lot better than I was expecting seeing we had 8. Of the 8 entrees I think most were 'good'. As usual with a new place I ordered the wrong thing. Even though I read a review that said the fish and chips were terrible, I ordered it. It wasn't bad but very lacking on the fish side. The wife had a wrap thing which she said had way too much dressing. A couple others had a pasta thing which was pretty good. A steak, mac and cheese, a reuben, and another other dish. Over all the food was pretty good. Had to use the restroom and was very surprised how massive the restaurant was. Huge! Not really my kind of place so i doubt I'll be back.