“SUPER CLEAN CABINS, A BIT PRICEY” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cedar Grove Lodging

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Cedar Grove Lodging
19555 State Route 664 South, Logan, OH 43138 (Formerly Cabins at Cedar Grove)   |
Bolivar, Ohio
“SUPER CLEAN CABINS, A BIT PRICEY”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here on a spur of the moment weekend getaway with another couple. It was last minute and we were only able to stay one night so we had a hard time finding a place to stay on a weekend, on such short notice and for one night (most of the cabins in hocking at a two night policy on the weekends)I called around for rates with other cabins and there were cheaper cabins available but could not accommodate for one night. I called and spoke with Kevin and he was very nice and was more than willing to let us stay for one night . it ended up being $255 w/taxes for the night for the four of us to stay. ( I thought this was a bit high) We stayed at Oldfields which is a very clean two bedroom,one bath which was perfect for us. Everything was very clean and organized, my only two things were even though I am staying in the woods in a cabin I wish the furnishings were a little more modern (just me personally) and I think the chemicals in the hot tub may be off because some of us had chemical rashes the next day. The biggest positive is this place has a great location right by old mans cave and a very quick drive to all the other parks.
We are planning another trip this August to get away just me and my husband and were going to stay here again, but they do not accept pets.... a big bummer and we are bringing our dog along. A suggestion to Kevin and Julie would be to make atleast one of there smaller cabins pet friendly for us pet loving guests.( the two very large cabins do take pets if you have a big group) I wish we could have stayed longer there was so much to do here.

Room Tip: oldfields was a great location with two bedrooms and one bath, was in a good location on the propert...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

My husband and I have been going to these cabins for years, and they are under new management as of late summer 2011 (after the "disappointment" review - that was a previous owner). We just stayed here, now called Cedar Grove Lodging, from February 10-12, 2012, and are happy to see they are nice again! We noticed many new upgrades - a new water system (no stinky water), keyless entry, and several new things in the cabin (hot tub, mattress, bedding, towels, kitchen utencils, etc.). The new owners, Julie and Kevin Claus, are very friendly and really care about your stay. They called us the day we arrived to make sure that everything was ok.

We will definitely stay with Cedar Grove Lodging again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Uniontown, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We had been going there for years and our last stay there was a dissappointment. It started out that the manager called us that morning we were leaving (thank goodness she got a hold of us before we left) to let us know it had change management and the key was in a locked box and gave us the combination. Whe we arrive which was on a Saturday the key was not in the box and we were unable to get in our cabin. We finally got a hold of the manager which she had to get a hold of the housekeeper to give us the key. She was a bit put out because she had plans to go somewhere. I notice we only had towels for 2 night which we were staying 3 nights, so when I ask for towels she snapped at me and said if you would have read the policy, you only get towels for the night your staying , which then I had to say but we are staying 3 nights not 2. The next night we thought we would use the hot tub, and it was not working so once again the housekeeper had to come and look at it. (not a happy camper once again), She says it working now. We go out and the tub smell like a septic tank!!! We couldn't even sit back there on the porch because of the smell. We left a day earlier, and was not even offered one night stay refund. The manager says we will give you 10 percent off the next time, we always got 10 percent off for staying three nights! There are so many nice places to stay at Hocking Hills, so unfortunately we will have to look elsewhere. If the manager could have been a little more understanding and would have compensated us for our misfourtune, I would have probably continued to stay at cedar grove.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
BigPineLodge, Owner at Cedar Grove Lodging, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
My wife and I recently purchased the Cabins at Cedar Grove property and saw your recent review regarding your stay prior to our ownership. I wanted to provide you an update on the improvements we've made in the short few weeks of ownership.

1. All water treatment systems used on the property have been replaced. The previous owner had failed to perform even basic water treatment maintenance for over 4 years. This ruined all the systems and resulted in untreated water being provided to the cabins.

2. Bees: Several of the units have significant carpenter Bee damage. All units have been sprayed for the bees (something the prior owner failed to do) and the damaged exterior wood will be replaced w/in the next few weeks. All the units will also receive a coat of stain (something the prior owner failed to do over the past 8+ years).

3. Phones: All cabin units now have private phones. The phones were removed by the prior owner in order to save monthly expenses. We have also provided unlimited long distance service as well as internet access on the property.

4. The use of diluted soap has been stopped!!! This made absolutely no sense and again was an attempt to save on expenses.

There are many other improvement that have been made to the furniture, all new linens and towels, new media/TV's, repaired driveways and maintenance of the grounds. We will continue to make improvements over the winter months and plan to have all units upgraded to our much higher standards by the spring of 2012. We have plans to build community areas, trails and expansions into new portions of the property. We replaced the previous cleaning and maintenance staff with people we have trusted in assisting with our other properties for years.

The previous "Cabins at Cedar Grove" property is being merged with other properties we have personally managed for almost 10 years (under the name of "Cedar Grove Lodging"). We believe in actively managing our prosperities vs. having guests dealing with property managers/employees.

As you can see, we are very serious about turning around this beautiful property and sincerely hope you will give us consideration during your next visit to the Hocking Hills areas.

Thanks,

Kevin and Julie Claus
Owners and Managers of Cedar Grove Lodging
(not affiliated with any stays at the Cedar Grove property while is was operating under the name "Cabins at Cedar Grove".)

Been to Cedar Grove Lodging? Share your experiences!