“Beautiful Secluded Cabins in the Woods” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pleasant Valley Cabins

Pleasant Valley Cabins
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Pleasant Valley Cabins
Save Saved
You added Pleasant Valley Cabins to your Saves list
14119 Pleasant Valley Rd., Logan, OH 43138   |
Ranked #11 of 23 Specialty lodging in Logan
Anderson, Indiana
“Beautiful Secluded Cabins in the Woods”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

For our yearly hiking trip, we decided to go in October instead of July as we usually do due to the excessive summer heat. We somewhat decided this all last minute – well “last minute” meaning that we did not have a cabin booked 2-3 months in advance like we usually do. Because of this, the place we usually stay was booked so I searched and searched until I found the website for these Pleasant Valley cabins. I liked the fact that there were only 2 cabins on the property and that they seemed rather secluded. If you read my past reviews, I am very picky about the places we stay because if we are hiking all day, I like to have a nice place to go back to relax. Usually I go to Trip Advisor when looking for cabins, but at the time I do not recall finding Pleasant Valley listed among “Logan” specialty lodging. We chose these cabins because of the proximity to the major hiking attractions, restaurants, and the antique mall. The location could not be better because everything is a very short distance away.

Like the website said, these are secluded cabins located in a wooded area. We actually had a hard time finding the place once we got on the road to the cabins. There is no sign anywhere for them. We drove past the driveway twice before we just had to “guess” which road it was because for some reason the GPS and our map had conflicting information. When you first get there, you stop at the owner’s home – it is not an office it is their house. Since we were not 100% certain we were at the right place I was a little iffy about going up to a person’s home, but then we saw a sign pointing to their back patio that said “Office”. The best way to know if you are at the right place is there is a tiny ancient cemetery across the road from the drive. When we went up to the patio I am sure we about scared the owner to death as I think she was making dinner. She was very nice and helpful in telling us where things were and making us feel welcome. It was also nice that they were close in case something happened and you needed them to come right away. It was great that there was a massive pile of free firewood they have cut for guests use in their front yard as well.

The cabin itself was impeccable. It was perfectly clean and beautifully decorated. The kitchen was very spacious and it had a large bathroom. The master bedroom was also quite large with big windows and a closet. There was really no lack of space in this cabin. The upstairs loft was, well, a loft – nothing special although it did have a bed, dresser, and TV. The back patio had chairs and a table, a grill, and of course the hot tub. When we first arrived we made a big pot of chili and the kitchen had everything we needed in terms of pots, pans, and scoops. After dinner we relaxed in the living room in front of the gas fireplace and it was very nice. For the next few days we went hiking for hours on end and when we came back we relaxed in the steamy hot tub. We did use the grill as well and it was perfect. The cabin and amenities were all around above excellent and we will stay here again. There were very few “cons” to this cabin, however I will list them since it might be helpful to others.

If you are staying in the fall/winter and you have more than 2 people – meaning someone would have to sleep in the loft – if you run the fireplace it is a good 20 degrees hotter up there even with the window open. If someone will be sleeping up there, I would suggest you shut off the fireplace at least 2 hours before sleeping because it was pretty stifling. The hot tub was honestly the nicest and cleanest hot tub I have ever been in period – but oh my was it ever chlorinated. It was not bad being out there with the breeze so it was not so much a fume thing, but there was so much chlorine in the tub that it tarnished my jewelry and made my skin itch like mad when I got out. Now, if you do not have sensitive skin this would likely not bother you at all – but if you do keep this in mind. The good thing about the tub is that it was on the back of the cabin so it was private and the owners had very cool rope lights strung up on a timer so it was fun.

My only other issue someone might take if they have children with them is the location of the fire pit outside. Now, the location of the fire pit is brilliant because it is elevated so if you have your car parked in the drive, you do not have to worry about burning leaves floating onto your car. However, getting up and down to the fire pit was a bit of a challenge. Between the fire pit and the cabin there is a picnic table, and the fire pit is elevated above that to the side (we were in cabin 1). To get to the fire pit, you have to walk to the little access road – which is extremely steep - and walk up to the fire pit. Now, one day when we hiked I totally blew out my right knee and I was in terrible discomfort. If this had not been the case I am sure I could have ran up the steep hill between the picnic table and the fire pit up to that area. But since I was gimpy, it was very hard to walk to the road and up that steep incline to the fire pit especially since we were carrying wood, fire pokers, smore stuff, drinks, etc. If you had young children you would probably have to help them each time to get to the fire pit, then make sure they did not try and run down the steep hill between the fire pit and the cabin. It was just a little awkward since it seemed like it would have made sense to have a few timber steps put in to make it easier to get up to the fire pit. Since I messed up my knee so bad we only had a fire once.

All in all this was an extremely nice cabin and I think anyone would be happy staying here. We come back to this area almost every year and we will likely stay here again. The proximity and secluded nature of these cabins really sealed the deal for us.

Room Tip: Both cabins seemed equally secluded and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PleasantValleyCabins, Owner at Pleasant Valley Cabins, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind and thorough review. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay. We have recently changed some hot tub products and have purchased fans for the loft area. Our guest notes do suggest lowering the fireplace to pilot about an hour prior to sleeping there. Unfortunately a lot of GPS systems don't recognize our address. The mailbox is well marked with our address. We have opted not to have a sign posted since doing so seems to prompt outside visitors to head up the lane to check out the cabins. Regarding the firepit, although I'm not positive, I believe while you were here, we had yet to block off the "steep access path" that had been created by previous guests. Although it is a few more steps to ge there, you now can only access the firepit by walking up the gentle slope to the side. The firepit at the other cabin has quite easy access.
Again, we really do appreciate your kind review and your business and hope to see you again.
Thanks so much.

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We have been going to the Hocking Hills for over 10 years. We stayed at different places every year for the first 7 years but have had no desire to go anywhere other than Pleasant Valley Cabins for the past 3 years. This year confirmed we will be back again. The cabins are clean and cozy and the setting is peaceful and relaxing. Our kids always say, Let's go home, after a long day of hiking, and they mean, let's go back to the cabin. Thanks so much Peggy and Tom for another great getaway.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us multiple times. We certainly appreciate your business and always look forward to your stay. Thanks again!
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We booked this cabin out of a travel brochure for an anniversary trip. We scoured the brochure but ultimately decided that this would be the perfect place and it was. We were greeted by Peggy, the owner, who was bubbly and friendly and answered all our questions. We do have an SUV so the hill climb wasn't an issue and what awaited us at the top of the hill was more than I had hoped for! It was private and so quiet except for the wind in the trees and the birds. When we stepped in the cabin, we could still smell the wood and the place was sparkling clean. To be safe, we brought a bunch of things we thought we would need, but the cabin is pretty well-stocked and it seems that previous visitors leave things behind for others to use such as dishsoap, plastic bags, paper plates, etc. It was hot the time we were there, but the A/C worked just fine. It was hot upstairs in the loft however. Just an FYI if there are more than two of you.

As another reviewer had mentioned, the bed downstairs was quite uncomfortable but we managed. We mentioned it to Peggy on checkout and she emailed us back that the day we left they went up to investigate and discovered the box spring was broken. A replacement was bought and brought in the same day. The hot tub was immaculate, we had no unwelcome critters in the house, and we actually enjoyed just staying in, relaxing and hanging out. We love Peggy and Pleasant Valley Cabins and I have told my friends and family how wonderful it is there. We WILL be back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
PleasantValleyCabins, Owner at Pleasant Valley Cabins, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Thanks so much for your kind comments. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.
Gahanna, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

My husband and I and our friends spent 4 days in this Hocking Hills cabin. The hot tub was sparkling clean and so relaxing after a day of hiking. The owners were so helpful and friendly. We plan on making this a yearly tradition and can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
PleasantValleyCabins, Owner at Pleasant Valley Cabins, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we too hope to see you again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

We searched and searched to find a cabin in the Hocking Hills and feel so lucky that we found Pleasant Valley Cabins. The cabin was clean and cozy and felt just like home. We enjoyed sitting on the deck and watching the birds. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The hummingbirds and goldfinches are definitely entertaining and beautiful to watch. We look forward to seeing you again.
Fairview Park, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

This was my second stay at Pleasant Valley Cabins, but after this I won't be returning again. The secluded nature of the cabin, fully furnished kitchen, spacious balcony and hot tub are all very nice. We were finishing up day 3 of a four-night stay by relaxing by the fireplace in the evening, when we heard noises in the kitchen. Upon investigation, there were a handful of mice coming up the back of the oven and running over the countertops!! A few even ran onto the stovetop and crawled down under the burners.

When we informed the owners, we were told "Well, you are out in nature and these things happen sometimes." When I voiced concern that I could not share a cabin with mice overnight, she asked whether we lived close enough to just drive home that night (we do not), or whether we'd like them to go to Wal-Mart to buy traps, although they probably couldn't catch all the mice in one night.

In the end, we went to the nearby Holidy Inn Express for the night. The owners did refund our money for the 4th night since we decided to cut our trip short after this experience....but did not refund anything for the 3rd night even though I had to pay $100 for the hotel room. It was very disappointing.

As a lifelong scout, I have done much outdoor camping, backpacking, etc....but when I am paying for indoor accomodations there are certain expectations -- one of which is that it is free of rodents. While I understand it is not a problem that can be instantly cured, I should not have had to pay twice -- once for the cabin and once for the hotel.

As an aside, the bed in the downstairs room is not very supportive or comfortable, and if you have the gas fireplace on the upstairs loft fills up with noxious gas fumes. The loft is fairly uninhabitable unless you open the window.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
We're so sorry that your return visit wasn't as enjoyable as your first visit. We can certainly understand that the mice weren't welcome visitors and we worked as fast as we could to get them removed from cabin. We haven't had any issues since.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

The cabin is newer and still gives off the "new wood smell" which I find wonderful. I do not have many complaints given the cost of the cabin however, I would say that even though the cabin is nice due to it's newness it did not seem very clean. We found many dead bugs throughout the cabin that could have easley been swept up with a broom or vacuum but instead seemed like they were left there for weeks. The cabin is very secluded atop a tall hill but what anything advertising the cabins fails to mention is how steep the hill is. It was a pain driving a two wheel drive sedan up and down the gravel hill which we had to do many times a day.

Other than my petty complaints the cabin and the stay was wonderful. The owners are very friendly and accommodating and the cabin is nice for the price.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
We were sorry to hear about the uncomfortable bed but glad that you seemed to enjoy the cabin otherwise. We did just replace the mattress and box springs in the cabin on 6/24/11.

Been to Pleasant Valley Cabins? Share your experiences!