“Very poor management.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Great Escape Cabins - Hocking Hills Cabins of Choice

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Great Escape Cabins - Hocking Hills Cabins of Choice
You added Great Escape Cabins - Hocking Hills Cabins of Choice to your Saves list
10567 SR 664 N, Logan, OH 43138   |
Ranked #21 of 25 Specialty Lodging in Logan
Cleveland, Ohio
“Very poor management.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a relaxing getaway. I searched the internet, looking for cabins that would allow us to bring our 2 old dogs, and came across Great Escape Cabins. I booked the Serenity Ridge cabin for 2 nights.
Unfortunately, it turned out to be the hottest weekend of the summer, but we had no way of knowing that, so we decided to go ahead, especially since we knew the cabin was airconditioned. We arrived at the beautiful little cabin around 4pm, we easily located the keys, and let ourselves in. I was delighted to see a perfect little kitchen, a homey living room, the back porch with the bubbling hot tub, and the loft with our bed.
We were so excited! Then, the biggest storm of the summer moved in. Remember that one? The one that knocked out power in Columbus and most of southeast Ohio for days and days? Literally, 10 minutes after our arrival the storm hit, and we lost power and the phone went out. Of course, we had no service on our cell phones either.
We decided to wait it out, and make the best of things. We grilled the steaks we had brought down with us, and spent some time in the hot tub, which had become tepidly warm at this point. Eventually, we decided to go to bed. Unfortunately, by this time, the cabin was hot and humid, so we weren't able to sleep very well. Our dogs were also uncomfortable, pacing and panting.
In the morning we cooked some eggs on the grill, but ended up having to throw out most of our food that had gotten warm in the refrigerator over night.
This cabin had the potential to be really great and relaxing. What I'm the most disappointed in is the management. I realize that everyone in the area lost power, so the managers were most likely without power as well. I think that they should have made the effort to come by and check on us, maybe make sure a tree hadn't fallen on the cabin? Maybe bring a cooler and some ice? If I had known this was going to turn into a camping trip, I would have packed for a camping trip.
Here's the kicker though; since the cabin is on a well system, we also lost use of water! We weren't able to flush the toilet without carrying bowls full of water from the hot tub to the tank of the toilet.
We were hot and miserable, and ended up leaving Saturday morning. We had gone into town and heard from locals that the power would be out for 5-7 days. I emailed and called the managers a few times, and never got a response. No refund, not even an offer for a credit for another stay. The cost of the cabin for a weekend was a bit pricey, and there was absolutely no hospitality.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Business
Reys
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

We love Hocking Hills, and have vacationed here 3 times in the past. Unfortunately I grabbed a new cabin this time, closer to Old Man's cave and it was a disaster.

I rented the "Hunter's Haven" Cabin from Great Escape Cabins for my family of 4(2 Adults, 4 and 6 year old children). We had a horrible experience with our cabin and had to leave the first night and grab a hotel room. The problems included a dirty hot tub with scummy water, dirt(?) stained carpet, an insect and spider ridden cabin located literally 10 feet off the main road, and high levels of iron and sulfur in the well water. This is my 3rd cabin rental in the Hocking Hills region and the first one I have been dissatisfied with.

Furthermore, Great Escape refused to accept any responsibility for the situation or offer any refund of the very pricey rental fee ($392 for 2 nights).

I would highly discourage anyone from renting from this unethical company.

Been to Great Escape Cabins - Hocking Hills Cabins of Choice? Share your experiences!