“Just Ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hocking Hills Serenity Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hocking Hills Serenity Cabins
Save Saved
You added Hocking Hills Serenity Cabins to your Saves list
Logan, OH   |
Ranked #19 of 23 Specialty lodging in Logan
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed at the Cozy Corner for our anniversary, June 2012. The cabin is nice but do not stay here if you are not a very able bodied person. Here are the things we had to do:
~Vacuum the rug, but before we could do that my husband had to take apart the vacuum cleaner and clean out all the filters so it would actually suck up the bugs.(It should work pretty good now!)
~The couch had crumbs and dirt/dust/bugs(dead flys) in it so we vacuumed it out also.
~Hot tub was so dirty,and had WAY too much bleach in it, it burned to even put your hand in it. We drained the water out cleaned it and re filled it ourselves.
~There is no step to get into the hot tub, so if you have any limited range of motion I recommend you choose some place else or bring a step stool.....
~There were 3 kitchen chairs, one was broke
~There were 4 outdoor chairs, one was broke (you could not sit in it at all)
The bed was comfortable, kitchen and ammenities good and the enviroment was great, we love the outdoors but were hoping for a more relaxing anniversary :(
So moral of the review; don't stay here if you want to be able to do nothing

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Temperance, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Best of several cabins we have rented in the Hocking Hills. A very clean, roomy and well built cabin close to Old Mans Cave. Hot tub was clean and stayed hot throughout our stay. We enjoyed our stay so much we are taking 40 family members back to the same group of cabins and lodges during the summer. A very fair price.

Room Tip: If you are not a competent driver, you might want to stay at the Holiday Inn. Cabins are in the hill...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Painesville, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

All I can say is if you are looking forward to a weekend in a hot tub forget it. This hottub was discusting the smell and the crap floating on top would make a fly sick. We tried to contact Noah and left a message which went unanswered so we tried the next day and his wife answered and the reply I received was " I can't hear you" I received this response 3 different times from 3 different locations. To have a problem is one thing but to be completely ignored is another. I would advise anyone considering Serenity Cabins to think twice.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Centerville, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

My family and I stayed in the Leaning Tree cabin the first weekend in June 2011 along with another family and their children. In sum, there were four adults and five children (ranging in age from 8 mos. to 5 yrs). The cabin is just about the right size for this particular group; I wouldn't recommend much more based both on the parking situation (three cars will be hard to maneuver) and sleeping arrangements.

Upon arrival, everything seemed pretty similar to other cabins we've stayed in inside rustic areas - we aren't a high-maintenance group by any means so lower quality things like bedding and kitchen utensils aren't a big deal. We unpacked and went about our stay.

As we sat around the living room the first evening, in the kitchen we spotted a mouse run behind the refrigerator and behind the cabinets. Now, again, we understand we are in the woods, but we've stayed in several cabins in wooded areas before and have never had to deal with rodents. Bugs are expected (and in fact, there were several ants inside as well - although, that's not a huge deal to us; we wouldn't even consider that an issue). But mice are a different story, especially with little kids that just hours before had been crawling around on the same floor.

In trying to find where the mouse went, we discovered a mouse trap in the drawer of the stove; obvioulsy it was known by the owner that there was an issue. We set the trap in the kitchen and within 15-20 minutes, we caught the mouse. Clearly this is just how we'd hoped to spend our vacation, chasing and catching mice instead of relaxing.

We reset the trap overnight and awoke to another mouse that had been caught. I e-mailed the owner (since I had no phone number for them - and no local phone was available in the cabin) and to this date - more than a week later - have not heard back from them.

As others have also mentioned about their cabins, the cleanliness of the hot tub was poor enough that we didn't even consider using it. Again, that was annoying, but I most likely wouldn't have even bothered contacting the owner or this site about it (or the ants).

I'm not sure what kind of business this family expects to continue to get without taking some serious consideration for the cleanliness of their cabins and for their customer service in response to the issues I've described and well as those other reviewers have. Clearly, from the owner's responses to two of the reviews before this, he doesn't seem to really care that there are literally dozens of other cabin companies in the area and when you don't react appropriately to concerns made by your customers, you're just asking us to seek out someone else to give our money to.

I would strongly recommend finding another place to stay if you are visiting the Hocking Hills area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

I wish I would've looked on TripAdvisor before booking this stay. We booked the Cozy Corner cabin for a stay over Valentine's Day weekend. Well, our holiday was ruined. We checked in and acknowledged that the horrible decorating and cheap cooking materials and bedding was part of Hocking Hills cabins...you get that most places. However, to have dirt in our hot tub and have to kill wasps the whole time we were there was not acceptable. We killed 5 wasps only 14 hours into our trip. Because of this we ended up leaving a day early because my girlfriend was afraid to be there and I was sick of putting up with it. We called Saturday morning and I left an urgent message on their voicemail to call me ASAP without saying what the problem was. I then called back an hour later to let them know we were leaving since we didn't hear anything from them. I NEVER got a call back! I had to call them again on Monday morning to find out what was going on. And just as the other reviewer said, the woman (Becky) told me she couldn't do anything and I would have to talk to her husband who of course was unavailable. These people are horrible and provide no service! What if I was calling to tell them there was a fire or something? Guess we would've found out about that on Monday morning too!
I rent cabins twice a year in this area and this was my first and last experience with these people. Warning - STAY AWAY!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
BWeaver1979, Owner at Hocking Hills Serenity Cabins, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Our cabin is in the woods in a rustic setting, therefore the decorations are also rustic. Our cookware and bedding is not top of the line but its definately adequate and serviceable. One reason we don't use high-dollar cookware and bedding is to keep the prices lower for you, the customer. One thing to remember, you are staying at a cabin in the woods, not a Marriott! As far as the hot tub being dirty, my wife, who is the housecleaner, just changed the water in the hot tub Thursday before these people came in Friday. After these people left, my dad, who does most of the maintenance, checked the hot tub and he said there was a very small amount of sediment from the well in the bottom of the hot tub but the water was perfectly clear. We do our best to keep our hot tub as clean as possible, but it is impossible to keep every tiny speck of dirt out of it, as most normal people will realize. Once again with the wasp problem we were told that five were killed and would be left as proof. We found one, and only one wasp! Here again please remember that you are in a cabin in the woods, and it's not only possible but likely you may see bugs sometime during your stay. I live in town and I even see bugs in my house! I also spent quite a bit of time checking out the cabin, both inside and outside and also underneath and found no sign of any wasp nest anywhere. However, just to make sure the problem is permanently taken care of, I have had an exterminator out to spray for them. These people said they called twice Saturday morning to report a problem. Both my dad and mom, who do the booking, were in the office Saturday morning until 11:30 and said they did not receive any calls from these people at all. When they returned to the office in the afternoon there was one message received from them saying that they had left the cabin. The message was received at 2:30 in the afternoon. So if these people would have actually contacted us like they said, we would have done our best to take care of the problem for them if we would have been aware that there was a problem.
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

My fiancee and I were looking forward to a leisurely and relaxing getaway. We stayed in the Cozy Corner cabin- the cabin and the service we received from the managers only increased our stress level! When we arrived, everything looked very nice and clean. However, upon further inspection, it was anything but. I LOVE hot tubs and was really looking forward to relaxing in one, but ours had some kind of disgusting brown and white filth caked on the sides of it and brown silt floating in it. It was so disgusting, neither of us wanted to get in it. Additionally, we found that there was a wasp's nest in our cabin! My fiancee had to kill several wasps flying around the room and he also had to kill several flies. In total, he killed 15-20 bugs that we in the cabin and it was not bc we left the door open or anything, those bugs lived in there although we never did find the wasp's nest. Finally, we did not have water in the kitchen. To cook we had to go get water from the bathroom. When we called to inform the managers about this, they told us that a plumber would be out to fix it Saturday morning bc they were not going to deal with it tonight (Friday night) and then sarcastically asked if we were going to be okay. Obviously, we could "survive" without water, but we did not come to Hocking to deal with inconveniences and to get up early to let plumbers in, we came to get away with that. In addition, the managers should have been apologetic instead of sarcastic. Saturday morning arrived and the managers called us around noon to tell us the plumber wasn't coming, at this point we had already woken up early bc we were expecting the plumber to arrived. The manager made no attempt to come look at it or fix it or offer to take money off the bill, instead she made more sarcastic comments. In the end, we left on Saturday, instead of the intended Sunday. I called to explain the problems and tell them we had left a day early bc of it, I was told that the woman I was speaking to could not handle my issues, but I had to speak to her husband and he would call back. I called many times to talk to him about it and she always answered and he never called back. Finally, I told her we weren't paying for the weekend- that we were disputing it on the credit card. It was a disappointing weekend and the service from the managers was not service at all.
If you want to see photos of the hot tub or pile of bugs email me at [---]. I don't have them right now, otherwise I would attach them.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
BWeaver1979, Owner at Hocking Hills Serenity Cabins, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
The hot tub was dirty, and I apologize for that. The reason it was dirty it because we had a water problem that we did not know about at the time. The Health Department had tested our water and deemed it fine to use, but they do not do the extensive tests the water professionals do. After these people's stay we had a water professional check the water and he said the PH was too low, which is what cause the skum on top of the water and around the edges. The water problem has since been taken care of and the water is now fine.
These people reported to us that they killed 15-20 wasps, bugs etc. and that they would leave them on the kitchen table on a pile as proof. We found only one wasp and one common housefly, which may have easily flown in when a door was open. We have checked the cabin thoroughly and there is no wasp nest inside. Please remember that our cabin is in the woods, and that it is highly likely that you will see bugs sometime or another during your stay.
As far as the kitchen faucet, our cleaning lady discovered the problem the Wednesday before these people came Friday. My dad, who does most of the maintenance, knows a little about plumbing and checked it out that evening but couldn't fix it. So he called our local plumber, and he thought he would be able to fix it either Thursday or Friday morning. But something came up that he was unable to go out either Thursday, Friday or Saturday. I apologize for the inconvenience, but we did make an effort to get it fixed.
As far as my mom not being able to help these people out and being sarcastic, she is responsible only for answering the phone in the office and getting the message to my dad or me. We do not always have cell phone service where we work, so therefore are not always available during the day. But we always do our best to take care of problems as soon as we possibly can!! Also my mom is a fine Christian lady, and I have never known her to be sarcastic but always one of the most helpful people I know! We are a family based operation and we do our best to run a clean, professional business.
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

Wife and I rented from Serenity Cabins for our romantic getaway. The cabin smelled foul the moment we walked in. Turned out to be the water was impregnated with sulfur which meant every time you washed your hands, tried to shower, did dishes, the whole place smelled like a latrine. Took all the romance out of our vacation.
There were no comfortable amenities. Everything was done as cheaply as possible. No comforts, no complimentary coffee, tea, or even fire wood. The grill had no bottom. There was no hot water, only warm.
It was, however, a getaway
And we couldn't wait to get away.
Will never consider them again.
Will never recommend them.
They wouldn't even respond to our complaints.
The worst Hocking Hills experience we've had in nearly a decade.

Stayed November 2010

Been to Hocking Hills Serenity Cabins? Share your experiences!