“"Lazy river tube experience"” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 8 Attractions in Logan
Type: Other
More attraction details
Owner description: The original canoe livery in the Hocking Hills offers the best trips by canoe, kayak, raft or tube. Special events include Romantic Moonlight tours and Torchlight tours. Camp along the secluded banks off the Hocking River or stay in a rustic cabin. Hocking Valley Canoe Livery also has special packages that include go-karts, miniature golf and horseback riding. Our mission is to provide safe and memorable experiences through fun and friendly service
Wapakoneta, Ohio
“"Lazy river tube experience"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

On July 19th, my boyfriend and I went on the inner tubes down the river. The employees let us know that the normal hour and a half trip would take about 3 hours because of the low water levels. So, we ate a sandwich before we left to tide us over. The first half of the trip was great. It was mostly a "lazy river" with a few minor fast flow areas around the rocks. I was great fun. The second half, the river was barely in motion at all. We had to work some to finally get us back to the pull out area. We had a blast. We enjoyed every minute of our experience, even the working, but the trip ended up taking us 5 hours. Other than the river being a little too low in some spots and the very slow flow, it was great! We are going back in a couple of weeks camping, and we are hoping to go on the 6 person raft, is the water lever is high enough that they are renting the out. The staff was super friendly and answered all of our questions accurately, professionally and honestly. Although the trip took longer than they had informed us (probably just because we were enjoying it and not in too much of a hurry, so we did not work much to get us there) the trip was perfect! Thank you all.

Columbus, Ohio
“Won't go back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

They've been open for 35 years and you can tell no improvements have been made. We stayed at the canoe livery. The bathrooms were a mess and very far from our campground. There's barely any roads. When we checked in they said go find a site and that was it. There's a back end of the sites that say 4x4 only. I'm assuming it meant only cars with 4x4 drive should go back there, but the few sites outside of that area were taken. So we trudged back further to find a site. Turns out it rained and everything turned into a giant mud pit. The sites are over grown and marked with 1 stick. Watch where you walk because you will twist your ankle in a giant hole or get poison ivy. You'd think for being in business that long they would be able to afford to do something to fix the area a little or try to improve the sad bathroom situation. Take out a tree or two and put down new gravel on the sad excuse for a road. I love roughing it in a tent and rain doesn't bother me, but this site was a whole new experience. I've seen better camp sites at bonaroo and that's a hippy mud pit. I should've stayed home and just taken a trip for kayaking. Although Columbus has much better liveries with kinder staff and better instructions and help.

Visited July 2014
ShaneB195, Owner at Hocking Hills Adventures, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Mother Nature can be unforgiving. Especially when it rains hard for three days straight. It is unfortunate that you visited us after this fact. No matter the campground you stay out, after continuous thunderstorms the grounds will be wet and muddy. We do our best to avoid this situation by laying limestone in the spring and continuously grading the roads. We have made several improvements the last several years, including a new floors in the canoe livery, tile and nature stone in the shower house. In fact I invite you to visit again during a non rain storm so you can see all the improvements we made and see our facility at its best.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 attraction reviews
“Large family canoe trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Our family of 18 took a canoe trip (trip 2) at Hocking Hills Adventures on Saturday July 19th. All of the employees were friendly and the process of checking in went very smoothly. We all had a great time and felt that this activity was a great value. We would recommend this company to anyone wanting to canoe in the Hocking Hills area.

Alexandria, Ohio
“Best Times - Awesome Memories”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My family and I have been canoeing here since I was 8! I am now in my late twenties and I have introduced this to my husband and we have been canoeing it for 4 years now! I love this place! I love the people! Shane and his family have done a very nice job with it and have made it grow to be bigger than it has but have always maintained a close relationship with the customers! My family and I agree that every time we visit we feel like we are seeing great friends! I have also camped here and canoed the next day at least 20 times! I have also had my bachelorette party on the river! What a blast!!!!! It will be exciting to take our daughter when she is old enough to do it!! Thank you to the staff for always making sure everything is perfect and well kept!! Cheers to more memories!! Thanks you to everyone who make this place awesome to visit!!!

Visited August 2013
Groveport, Ohio
“Riverside camping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This was our third time camping at the riverside campground. This is by far the best spot to camp in the Hocking Hills region. The staff patrol the are and pick up trash and the sites are very nice. I would recommend booking more than a week out and reserve a spot you like. The staff listened to my needs when I made my reservation and picked a great spot for my family. This is primitive camping...Porto Potts are on site and showers are a short hike away. We tubed down the river and had a great time. The website needs updated as they no longer have the tube loop from the camping ground. We took 2 vehicles and dropped one off where we planned on getting out. We can't wait to come back!