“Good Fun but Staff Ify” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 8 Attractions in Logan
Type: Other
More attraction details
Owner description: The original canoe livery in the Hocking Hills offers the best trips by canoe, kayak, raft or tube. Special events include Romantic Moonlight tours and Torchlight tours. Camp along the secluded banks off the Hocking River or stay in a rustic cabin. Hocking Valley Canoe Livery also has special packages that include go-karts, miniature golf and horseback riding. Our mission is to provide safe and memorable experiences through fun and friendly service
Hamilton
“Good Fun but Staff Ify”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

The other canoe livery wouldn't take our business even though we called and called trying to have a canoe trip. This business was open and it was very fun. When we first arrived I was a little leary because the staff didn't know the answers to our questions but then another worker came in and took over and was very helpful and made me feel comfortable with our choice of canoe trip. Great time, beautiful river trip, safe and secure canoes etc. Highly recommend!

Visited October 2011

Columbus, Ohio
12 attraction reviews
“Work in progress”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We visited this campgroud over the weekend, and for me it was not worth the money. They are in the process of working on it (which it needs major work). The Majority of the grounds was not leveled, and the roads heading back there was a pain. If it rains good luck getting your car through there. We ended up speaking to the manager, who was very gracious, whch is sad that you actually have great people running a work in progress campground. I might come back to this spot, but not any time soon.

Visited July 2011
Cincinnati
“Hocking Valley Canoe Livery”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

We visited this place in July 2011. I planned every activity ahead of time on the internet. My boyfriend and I had never been to Hocking Hills and I chose this place to do our activies because they had a variety to choose from. When I was on the website, I noticed that they had a package deal that you could do. You choose 3 activities on their website and you get a 10% discount off of each activity that you choose. Hocking Valley Canoe Livery (HVCL) is affiliated with Hocking Peaks Adventure Park and Ohio ATV world. Therefore, when you choose activities such as riding atv's, you will be going to a totally seperate place to do this. If you choose the OGO ball or zipling, you will be going to Hocking Peaks Adventure Park. It's rather confusing on the website. After choosing the activities that you want to do, they will either email or call you and you will make your reservation. Word of advice, Please get detailed information on each activity that you do, such as exact location of each activity. When I called the HVCL, they said to get the discount on each thing, you keep your receipts for each activity and bring them back to HVCL and then they give your 10% back . THIS IS NOT TRUE, at least not in our case. We did the atv, OGO ball and kayaking. I saved my receipts from Ohio ATV World, Hocking Peaks (OGO ball), and then when we went to do the kayaking at HVCL, I asked them about the discount for all of the other activities that we did. At first the girl acted like she didn't know what I was talking about. So I explained further about what a lady on the phone had told me, and she said that you are suppose to tell each place, that you are doing the packgage deal and they will give you the discount right then and there when you pay. This is NOT what they said on the phone to me. So in other words, since someone misinformed me, I had to either go back to each place, or call them and see what I could do to get back some of my money since I was suppose to get a discount in the first place. All of this because someone told me wrong. Where else would I get the info to keep my receipts. Make sure when you call HVCL, that you are clear on how you get the discount. Dont be afraid to ask questions. They were very unorganized there. I ended up not getting 10% back from Hocking Peak Adventure Park because they wouldn't call me back, which isn't right.
We paid for our 2 person kayak, and they told us to go in the other room and get our paddles, not specifying exactly which paddle to grab. So of course we grabbed the wrong one, only later to realize that we had grabbed the wrong ones and had to rush off of the bus to exchange them. I think it would be nice if they had an employee there to help you pick out your gear and show you exactly where to go. They dont give you much detail. Now me, I like a place that is organized and informative, and HVCL is definitely not. They load you up on the bus after loading the attached trailer with the neccessary boats and take you to you drop off point. The driver of our bus was texting while driving, which was kinda scary... After we got off of the bus, they unload the boats. They forgot our 2 person kayak! Im not a complainer but it seemed like they took forever to bring our boat back for us. We sat there for around 30 minutes before they came back with our boat. All they could say was " sorry about that." The least they could've done was bring a water or offer us something. Anyways, we got in our boats and began our 5 mile paddle down the river. It was fun, but I wish the scenery was better. I can't say that I would recommend this place to everyone. It wasn't terrible but I think I would get a better experience somewhere else. It wasn't real clean and organized there. If I wanna go kayaking, I think I will go somewhere else next time. To me, I feel like they could invest some of their income back into the business, to make it look better. HVCL wasn't that bad, it just wasn't right for us.

Visited July 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
“Nice people-fun river”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

The Hocking River is a flat water river but it was very challenging for first time canoe travelers and veterans too. There are many obstacles in the water and this is what makes it so challenging. Be careful of strainers. Rain has been light in the Ohio Valley this summer and that has added to the possibility of dragging bottom more often than you might like, expecially if you have a large cooler on board.
Canoe livery folks are friendly and will get you checked in quickly. You can also add a zipline experience that is run by another company. Just be very aware you will not be allowed to do the zip in the "superman" configuration if you have not zipped with this company before. It does not matter if you have zipped elsewhere before. The zip company says you can if you have zipped before, but they mean if you have zipped with them before and not somewhere else.