“Great place to stay...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Springwood Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Springwood Cabins
Save Saved
You added Springwood Cabins to your Saves list
28660 Blackjack Road, Logan, OH 43138   |
Ranked #8 of 23 Specialty Lodging in Logan
“Great place to stay...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

My wife and i decided to stay at Turkey Hollow after much searching for a cabin that allowed all four of our dogs.

We arrived on the 31st of July and fell in love with the place. The cabin was recently remodeled and was very nice. I did have an issue with the grill but got it going in a little time.

The hot tub was a liitle farther away than I thought before getting there but was no big deal, it was very quiet there and the owners seemed nice the couple times they stopped by on their way to the other cabins I think they were going.

I would recommend bringing bottled water due to the strong iron in the water but i don't think there is much you can do to get that out.

When we first walked in, we noticed the cookie jar full of doggie treats which my dogs loved. That was an interesting and thoughtful detail that i never would have thought of.

The cabin was clean and odor free, there is a small closet in the bedroom, I would like to see the addition of a shelf in the shower but the rock wall in the shower held our travel sized shampoo after wedging them in between a couple rocks.

Our stay was for three nights and i do agree with a previous post that a couple more towels would be nice. I liked that there was dish network in the cabin but some channels I usually put on were not there but again it was a minor thing.

We have never stayed in Ohio before and was glad that we decided to go to hocking hills. I would recommend going to Old Man's Cave. Great hiking trails but just stay on the path as there are numerous spots where you could fall about 30 to 50 ft. But our beagles were ecstatic hiking and sniffing on the trails.

We plan on coming back next year probably to check out another cabin.

• Stayed July 2012

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We just came home from a wonderful three night stay at Deer Crossing cabin. First of all, I would like to address the review written by kl4life2 on October 23rd where only one star was given to this facility. Then I will tell you what a wonderful place this really is. kl4life2 claimed there was no defined area to park your vehicle. This concerned me before we got there but I found that to be false. There are very obvious places to park your vehicle for every cottage, they are stone covered and outlined with huge logs. Ours (we stayed at Deer Crossing) was very close to the front door. I can only assume that kl4life2 stayed at the Rose which is a gorgeous brand new cottage that the staff was very cordial to give me and my husband a tour of because that day it was being cleaned. The Rose is the last cottage on the road and the parking area for it is perhaps 15 yards from the front door. If you are concerned about walking the 15 yards or have a disability that precludes you from walking it, then obviously you should rent one of the other cottages. But if you are a camper, it is ludicrous to think that a 15 yard walk is a legitimate complaint no matter what you are carrying. And it is worth it if you are able to reserve the Rose. If you are worried about pulling your expensive luggage that distance, then stay at a 4-star hotel with a bellboy. I mean, really, what can you say? And as far as moving a log to drive your car closer to the cabin, that's just appalling. I'm sure that anyone who puts a barrier up to prevent someone from driving all over their lawn would be incensed to find that someone took the liberty to just move the log and drive through anyway. That's some kind of entitlement attitude that should be corrected. kl4life2 indicated that it looked like other vehicles had driven through before him. Well, I was there, I viewed the area and there were no tire tracks or indication that it was okay to just drive over the lawn to the Rose. Period. Also, the women that he referred to in his review were just very kind to us. They wanted to know if we needed their help getting our things out of the car into the cabin and they very graciously gave us directions to get anywhere we needed to go. Stacy, the property manager specifically said if there was anything we needed during our stay, please contact her. That was the last time we saw anyone as they left us alone, never showed up unexpectedly and gave us the peace and quiet we really wanted. When we passed them during their day of cleaning the Rose, they waved and pleasantly asked if they could stop over just to check the hot tub. Our experience was very, very positive. I am guessing that kl4life2's stay at the hotel near the airport was more their style since there are elevators and carts for your expensive luggage. We just loved staying at the Deer Crossing (which by the way is an appropriate name because a mama and her three little spotted fawns came through our yard every day). The hot tub was heavenly. The deck was great for our dog because he was not able to squeeze through the rails to jump off and he is a terrier that chases anything that moves. The cabin was clean and well-appointed. Really, this was glamping more than camping but rustic enough to enjoy the great outdoors. We visited Cedar Falls (highly recommended) but you have to be able to hike and not complain about something further than 15 yards away. A few of the other places we visited and I recommend are Logan Antique Mall, The Boot Shop on Route 33 and Appalachian Art and Craft Market, just a few yards from the Boot Shop. The Appalachian Art and Craft Market was especially nice with items I have never seen elsewhere and the prices were excellent! Just a few doors down from that (it's sort of like a strip plaza that you can walk from one store to the next unless you choose to drive down to the next empty parking spot because walking is too much for you), is the Spring Street Antique Mall which is also very much worth a look. I scored a few gorgeous Swarovski crystal bracelets there that were flawless. None of these businesses had pushy salespeople but were delighted to help if asked. I'm just the kind of person who doesn't want a salesperson breathing down my neck asking me what I'm looking for in every aisle so that was a pleasurable shopping experience. We had lunch at Millstone Southern Smoke BBQ and the waitstaff there was very hospitable. We wanted to buy a tee shirt but the size we wanted was sold out so they are sending us one next week when the new shipment comes in. All in all, I cannot wait to get back to this area again just because there was so much more I wanted to see but like everything else, you just run out of time. We wouldn't stay anywhere other than Springwood Cabins and with some luck, we will be able to reserve in advance for the Rose. But if we can't get that cabin, I would definitely love to stay at Deer Crossing again. I can't say enough great things about this location. Last but never least, we were able to vacation with our whole family with us - a dog and two cats who were so well behaved and had a blast as well. They played chase all day through the cabin and also woke us at around 2:00 in the morning playing and chasing each other. It was a joy to have them with us and to stay at a place that was animal friendly for a change.

Room Tip: Deer Crossing is very peaceful and secluded. At the end of the road so nobody ever drives by.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Pleasant Hills, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We had a group of 12 people looking for a fun and affordable place to go. We rented 4 of the 6 cabins at Springwood Cabins. We all took turns making meals for the group and even invited the owners to join us one night, which they did and we were glad they did. From the beautiful wood work in some of the cabins, to the little homemade dog treats that were in cookie jars in all the cabins, to other little surprises that you just will have to find out for yourself when you go. There are fire rings at all the cabins, which was great for group gatherings at night for mountain pies and smoores, etc. The owners made some great recommendations of places to go and things to see and do, from Bead Making classes to Zip line tours. Hoping to take a group of friends back there again in a year or two :-)

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We went with a group, renting four cabins for a week. Had fabulous weather, the cabins were great (nicely appointed and stocked, clean), the owners were friendly and helpful (tho we hear they are tough with people who invited unpaid guests!). The trails through the woods were a daily activity as were the group campfire gatherings and communal meals that we were able to arrange among our cabins. The surrounding area's attractions were quite plentiful and engaging -- the best canopy zip line tour in the US! Lake Logan's pontoons (tho rather aged and tattered!) and the swimming... the rails to trails bike trail in Nelsonville... the artisans and their classes. There was something for everyone! And the owners Sue and Lana helped us find everything. But back to the cabins... the newer cabins are spectacular with carefully constructed pine interiors. Raccoon, though not as rustic looking, is newly refurbished and BIG! All in all a great stay. Only drawback was the lack of cell/internet service. Get a tower!!! Some of the newer cabins could use a bit more storage structures for clothes, etc. Other than that, however, we found the Springwood Cabins to be totally enjoyable and well worth the $. Don't know what the bad reviews were talking about??

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I have been a guest at Springwood Cabins since 2009 (having stayed there now seven times and making plans for my eighth visit), and I couldn't be happier! The location is awesome, as you are off the beaten path and away from traffic, yet very close to many area attractions. Old Man's Cave, Ash Cave, and Rock House are not to be missed! I have found both the owners of the cabins as well as their staff to be quite welcoming, attentive, and eager to make any stay a positive experience. They are constantly making updates and improvements, and have been most welcoming of dogs, even making available homemade treats, providing water dishes, and having ample space for walking right on the property. I have stayed at Crows Nest and Deer Crossing, and love them both. I have been inside all of the cabins and would really be satisfied at any of the cabins, and the Rose is really unique in its design. Each cabin has its own deck and hot tub. I feel lucky to have found Springwood Cabins, and plan on returning many more times.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Bay Village, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I was a little concerned about staying in Deer Crossing at Springwood Cabins based on the mixed reviews. But, we found it to be a nice cabin. There was four of us (two couples) and the cabin has two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The hot tub was maintained by a caretaker every morning. The sliding glass doors do not have screens and when we asked about it the owner said that people have damaged them. We would like to see the owner replace the screens and consider charging people if they damage them. The beds were slightly soft, saggy and squeaky but tolerable. I would like to see them replaced but I would consider staying here again. The location was excellent due to the close proximity to the state park which is why we chose Springwood Cabins. One night's worth of firewood was provided.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

I read several not great reviews for this place. I have no idea why??? I really liked the cabins. They were very clean and nice. The kitchens were very well equipped. They were very private. Very dog friendly. I will definately be back.

Room Tip: The Crows Nest!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Springwood Cabins? Share your experiences!