“Had a good time, but wasn't overly impressed” 4 of 5 stars

You added Old Man's Cave Chalets to your Saves list
Old Man's Cave Chalets
3.5 of 5 Cottage   |   18905 State Route 664 South, Logan, OH 43138   |
Ranked #3 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Logan
“Had a good time, but wasn't overly impressed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I needed a weekend getaway, and we were pleased to find an available cabin with OMCC as every other time I've looked, they have been booked solid. We live in Columbus so the drive is not too long. Upon arrival, we thought that the check in office was very nice. Had a little bit of trouble finding our cabin, as it was dark and the cabin was a few miles away. Luckily we have a Land Rover because the gravel driveway was STEEP!

The cabin was nice. My husband and I noticed that things were done cheaply, as the cabin was only half logs and the top was formed plywood. The beds were alright, appliances the same. Everything was very clean, and we loved the fireplace.

My only complaint is that I feel it is a bit too expensive for what you get. It looks nice, but if you look a little closer you can tell that they did things quite cheaply (in order to maximize profits I'm sure).

I have to give it to them though, they have a great business model and are probably making an enormous amount of money!

Oh, and the hot tub was nice, we only got in it once, and I appreciated being able to change the temp setting as I am pregnant and can't have it that hot.

Also, people complain about the sulfur treated water...out in the country well water is usually what you get! If you want chlorine treated tap water then don't stay in a cabin cut into the side of a mountain.

Overall, pretty satisfied, but I think we will be trying a different company next time we stay, to try and find something that gives you more for your money.

• Stayed November 2012

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We have made the trip to the Hocking Hills area for 4 years now and have stayed in a variety of enjoyable (and not so...) cabins. I can highly recommend the Turkey Run cabin and the office staff at Old Man's Cave Chalets. I know there are some reviews here that represent dissatisfaction, but we are on the opposite end, enjoying our stay and our cabin greatly, and having received some very nice treatment in an emergency from the staff.

First of all, for 2 couples and a small child, the Turkey Run cabin is great. Each couple had a king bed in a separate bedroom and the little one slept on a portable mattress in his parents' room. There is also a double bed (maybe it's a queen?) in the loft in case you have 6 adults, or a teenager or someone who might like to move to another bed during the night due to snoring, restlessness, etc. There are two nice, clean bathrooms and shower/tubs.

We did not use the hottub, but like the cabin, it appeared to be clean and well cared for. Nice porch with table and chairs, plus a swing. The cabin has a fully equipped kitchen, including a dishwasher, and comfy furniture to watch the flatscreen TV above the fireplace. We had everything we needed, and then some...although one more lamp in the living room would be nice for better reading. There is also a game room downstairs with a pool table and air hockey game - well cared for but it was chilly downstairs and we just didn't have anyone of the right age to be interested this time.

The location of this cabin is about 6 miles from Old Man's Cave, which means that Ash Cave and Cedar Falls are close, too. Nothing is all that far away, including the town of Logan, in case you need to make an emergency run to the urgent care facility there...which, unfortunately, we did, due to a fall outside the cabin. Because we were there several hours and returned home very late in the wee hours, the office personnel allowed us extra time before check out, which we greatly appreciated. They showed much concern for us and were very, very nice.

I would suggest bringing bottled water for cooking, drinking, and teeth-brushing -- and maybe a favorite scented candle. The water in this cabin is a bit sulphur-smelling, as are many cabins in this rural area. You do notice a smell - not overpowering - when you first come in, but then you don't notice it much after that and that's the reason for the candle. We used the bottled water for coffee, hot chocolate, other cooking, and to brush our teeth, to avoid the sulphur taste of the water.

Of the cabins we've rented, this is definitely our favorite and we hope to stay there again the next time we visit.. but with no emergencies next time!

Room Tip: Pay attention to the size of the beds that are included with the cabin and where they are located. D...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
fort gratiot, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Well ya know there are one or two things which could have been tweaked to hit perfect. For some context I am a thirty-something police officer. There is a careful balance between peace and quiet and getting the most out of your vacation property. This organization is dangerously close to limiting the peace with too many rentals on one property. I will stress that it did NOT cost us awesome peace and quiet. It was Awesome, but we were there on a Sunday night so I don't know how the weekend goes. I know that we were in the Blackjack cabin and saw no other property except one way up the road. The A-frames are about 25 feet from each other and I don't know why one would stay in that situation if you wanted remote peace. The Hocking Hills area is incredibly beautiful. These chalets are super close to the Old Man's Cave Gorge which is a whole day awesome adventure. I am a native Ohioan and I didn't know we had something this spectacular. The cabin itself was really awesome. It had everything you would want and everything was perfectly clean. I read a few of these bad reviews and I don't know, maybe they had a bad deal but ours (the wife and I on anniversary) was great. The hot tub was nice, they had it al warm and ready for us. We watched the stars on a moonless night and enjoyed the cool night air with the hot water. Strange thing though, there is just one street light in the whole place as far as I know and it shines from the left of the house and illuminates the whole back porch including the hot tub. This wasn't a distraction, as the sides of the tub were taller and it never bothered us, really, But you could see the light reflecting off of the pillars on the porch and it really seemed like a no brainer. I submitted a comment card which says they shouls invest in a priovacy screen for the deck rail where the light is. It seemed like a really basic oversight. Anyhow I slept amazingly well (very dark and very quiet) and when we woke up in the morning, we sat out on the back porch swing which is elevated and just enjoyed the morning, the birds and the peace and quiet... Almost perfect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lorain Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

It had been a few years since any type of getaway so we decided toherad to Hocking Hills. We had done some camping in the past ans decided to rent an a-frame for a week. We were pleasantly suprised with the size. A LOT of room for 900sq ft. Nice kitchenette, bath was larger than expected and clean. Beds were comfportable. Nice loft area for our adult son. BIG hot tub, but due to the weather we did not take advantage of. 20 in or so to shopping area, and 25 or so to Logan Ohio. If you have a taste for pizza, they manager recommended Pizza Crossing and she was right. Best we've had in quite a while.

Nice fireplace and it took the dampness out of the air nicely.

10 min or os from Old man Cave, Ash Cave and Cedar falls.

We also brought our 6nyear old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Gracie and she had a grat time exploring around the cabin.

We will definately bo going back. Now I sww why people build places like this ofr weekend get a ways!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Findlay, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and I have 3 small girls and since the oldest was born we have not had a weekend away. We planned a trip, booked a secluded cabin and started looking forward to a little rest and relaxation. After 2 1/2 hours of our 3 hour drive I got a call from the rental office. The call started with a question- "have you left for hocking hills yet?" I answered we were about 30 minutes away and was told our cabin had no electricity and we would have to stay in another cabin. The electrician had said it couldn't be fixed until Monday. Not really a big deal. Then comes "...the cabin we're putting you in tonight isn't available tomorrow night and we actually don't have any other cabins available for tomorrow night. We're hoping someone cancels for tomorrow night and we have somewhere to put you...Is that OK?" I replied I would talk with my wife and we would discuss it further when we arrived.
When we arrived I was told I had been upgraded to a more expensive cabin for the night at no charge (how thoughtful) and they were still hoping to find us a place to stay tomorrow. they also gave us a gift certificate to the Millstream BBQ restaurant. We went to the cabin and freshened up before we went out for a hike at the state park. We stopped in the rental office to check on the progress for our accommodations the next day and were told "We've been calling the major places that we know of and nobody has a place available. Here's the Hocking Hills visitors guide- there are a lot of places in here you may want to call." I politely told the woman "helping" us that we would be hiking in the gorge at Old Man's Cave and wouldn't really be able to make any calls...she seemed disappointed. She asked if the Holiday Inn would be OK, then told us they had really good rates. I told her if I was staying somewhere else they were paying for it.
When we got back from our hike they had great news- she was really excited about telling us this- they had sent out an electrician and our cabin had the electricity restored and would be available...tomorrow morning. It was also a little weird that earlier in the day an electrician had said it couldn't be fixed until Monday and then that the electrician was sent out while we were hiking.
We went to our temporary cabin and showered, then went out to eat. We returned to our temporary cabin and planned to get in the hot tub, but the neighbors about 150 feet away were so obnoxiously loud we decided against it.
We had made plans for 10 am the following morning, so we had to get up early to move cabins, only to find out our cabin is 14 miles away. Not really a huge deal, but when I booked the rental it didn't say anything about that. Now we had to drive around all day with all our stuff in the back of the car.

We had a nice day out in the state forest and decided to shower up and head to the restaurant to use our gift certificate. Our cabin had a 5 gallon hot water tank- a sign said that was good for 8 minutes of hot water. Not an issue for me since God blessed me with a rather limited amount of hair on my head, but my wife was not similarly blessed...needless to say her shower was cold. Again, no mention of this water tank when making the reservation. While the wife was enjoying her cold shower I took a peek at the electrical panel that was the bane of our first night. I wish I had taken a picture because there was a 50amp circuit breaker that was made for a completely different panel and was jammed in at a slightly skewed angle.
Before we left we were checking the place out we noticed the walls in the loft were filthy, there were food bits in the microwave and mini fridge and the doors hadn't been cleaned in a considerable amount of time. The bed appeared to be pretty clean, as did the shower and toilet- but the walls in the bathroom were also filthy.

We went to the restaurant and without getting into details had the worst dining experience I've ever had. We were there 2.5 hours and when we got back to our cabin it was pretty late at night. Decided to go for a dip in the hot tub and it was dirty. Not filthy, but a nice pile of dirt settled right in the bottom. We decided to call it a day and were very excited to find out that the windows in the loft bedroom had no curtains whatsoever on them. Not a big deal in the middle of nowhere except there was a guy sitting in a pickup truck parked down the gravel lane leading to what I suspected was another cabin that had a perfect view into the window. That was a little unpleasant.
The power went out in short order, however, so in the pitch darkness he couldn't see into the window anyways.

We had a canoe trip booked at 10 the following morning, so we got up early and went to eat breakfast, then check out when the rental office opened at 9 am. When the "customer service" woman asked how our stay was I told her it was terrible. She was aware of our issue with the electricity the first night and apologized for it, then I started explaining the issues we'd experienced since then. She seemed slightly concerned and when my wife said they had ruined our weekend away she handed me a business card and said the customer service manager would be calling us.

We went on our canoe trip and headed back home later in the day. I waited for a call from the customer service manager and after 8 days decided maybe she forgot. I called and got her on the phone. She told me "I know we refunded your credit card, let me double check that". After a few minutes of searching she saw that in fact we had not been given a refund but that one would be processed immediately and be showing up in the next few days. I wanted to make sure she knew of the electrical issue and she informed me the owner had already seen to it the entire electrical system was replaced.

I had planned on submitting a review of my experience but wanted to give the manager the chance to make things right. I sat down and started typing this the minute I got off the phone. There was never a doubt I was getting my money back, she made no attempt to make it right. I'm planning another trip to the area next month and will be booking it at another cabin. It's really a shame because they have a good location and the cabins themselves are exactly what you want for a weekend away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
OldMansCaveChalets, Manager at Old Man's Cave Chalets, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
I would first like to say that I apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced with the power outage during your recent trip. As I explained to you in a recent letter, we did credit your account for the total amount of your stay!

I invite you to visit our website and view the many cabins we have to offer and if you would like to give us another chance to prove we value you as a customer, I will be happy to comp you a two night stay in a four person cabin.

Best regards,
Darlene Fitzgerald
Customer Service Manager
Youngstown, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed in A-frame #16 Aug 25-26 for our 9 year anniversary. It was a last minute idea and although we picked the cheapest cabin they had available it was still perfect. Not only did it have a nice little kitchenette with adequate supplies, a very spacious floor plan, but it was very clean and comfy.

The way they have the A-Frames set up they are all next to each other down a little road (except the "Romantic Hideaway" which is at end of street by itself). But the back porches have wood slat walls on either side for privacy with the back end open to the woods. You can hear your neighbors outside but cannot see them. And all of them come with a clean four person hot tub. It feels very secluded and private.

The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. I really have no complaints about our stay. My husband would love if they would put Wi-Fi towers near the cabins so you had access to the internet while staying here. Right now it is only available in the main office but it is free there. And if you are the type to want to unpack your luggage there really isn't any dressers. Just a small night stand. We just live our of our luggage so that did not bother us. The shower is a bit small too but considering it is a tiny A-Frame cabin I can understand. Just letting you know what to expect if you are planning on staying here. The place really is clean and has a very romantic cabin feel. I am already planning my next trip back and recommending to all my friends and family.

Room Tip: We were in A-Frame #16 (the cheapest category) and it was excellent! I don't think you can go wr...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

A group of friends just got back from a long weekend at Oak Ridge. It was beautiful. Well appointed and private. The Fire ring and charcoal grill are kind of sad but for a long weekend it was just fine. We had a well equipped kitchen and plenty of seating. We also had a beautiful wrap around porch. We loved it so much. We relaxed and hiked but it was wonderful to come back to our cedar smelling cozy little palace!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Old Man's Cave Chalets? Share your experiences!