“Nice room for the price, but the food makes it worth it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shaw's Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lancaster
Shaw's Inn
You added Shaw's Inn to your Saves list
123 North Broad Street, Lancaster, OH 43130   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Lancaster B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Canton, Ohio
“Nice room for the price, but the food makes it worth it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this bed and breakfast with another couple. The price was excellent for the location. I was expecting a small house but surprisingly walked into a building. The hallways are a bit tight, and only one elevator, but the building has a lot of charm, and the rooms feel like home.

The restaurant is the shining star about the experience. This restaurant had an excellent wine list, delicious beer selection including several local brews, and the food was to die for! My wife and I indulged in some very tasty scallops with an excellent side salad. Our friends enjoyed a delicious peppercorn bison ribeye and the biggest, tastiest pork chop I've ever seen. The food alone well makes this place worth the trip, but the live music on Fridays in the summer were an excellent addition to the ambiance and romance of the quiet cute little town.

Room Tip: Go for the suites, they're much roomier and are much more romantic.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We were looking for a place to stay in the Hocking Hills area so we could spend a day at Lilyfest and things were pretty booked up nearby so when Shaw's came up we didn't know it was there or anything about it, but booked two nights. We were delighted to find a very old but well kept hotel in the heart of historic Lancaster. Our room was called Venice and we liked it very much. We had a big king bed and the mattress was very comfortable. There was a large sauna bathtub in the room that we found to be a little too small for two (we are thin), but very nice for one. Included in our stay was complimentary breakfasts in their historic dining room. Both mornings we had delicious breakfasts - the food is top notch. The second evening there was a band playing in the nearby gazebo - it was the British Invasion and drew a very large crowd. We enjoyed our stay and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms on their website - the higher priced ones are the nicest.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The hotel was built in 1941 so is hardly ancient but it does have a certain comfortable elegance from a different time. I stayed in one of the lower priced "corporate" rooms and it was small but suited me just fine and was classy, clean, and comfortable. More money will get you more space.

Both dinner and breakfast were excellent. Some of the service, as others have mentioned, was rather unimpressive. This may actually be a generational thing and possible the reverse of what you may be thinking. Some of the older staff seemed to have that "you're so lucky we're here" attitude I've seen in other "historic" establishments while younger staff members were quite attentive and friendly.

This was my second time here and, details of that other visit (2006) visit have faded but I remember it as enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Mansfield, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Decided to stay at Shaw's Inn and Restaurant after stopping in for a lunch on the way down to southern OH on a previous trip. I noted that it was a Select Registry Inn and the the crab cake at lunch had been delicious. Plus, we enjoyed the architecture and a bluegrass band was slated to play in the gazebo directly across from the hotel on the night we reserved. The room was charming and plenty big (we opted for one of the best suites they had - Savannah suite). The food was quite good. The service from managers was great, from the wait staff - not so much. The wait time for just a cup of coffee seemed extrordinary (10-15 min). However, the food was always good and the staff always quite polite. Things move at a slower pace here - small town, older clientele? Rented some bikes from a local bike shop (although had to ask around for awhile before we were able to locate a place) and had some wonderful excursions. We found a couple of charming parks and an excellent bike path. Overall - nice place with some charming museums and houses, nice people in management, but restaurant needs some efficiency training.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Because I am an ongoing workshop participant at Nancy Crow's Barn, I have done extended stays at Shaw's for the past 2 years - I much prefer Shaw's to the other options available. I rent the corporate rooms, which are small, but adequate for my needs, and very clean. The breakfasts are lip-smacking delicious and one is able to order the night before for the earliest possible serving. Every so often it takes a more time than preferred to get the meal check, but it's not a huge issue. Parking is on-site and easy. I've never had dinner there because Nancy Crow provides us with lunch and dinner. My husband and I once stayed in a regular room on our way to a quilt show (Dairy Barn in Athens) and the room was HUGE! We had a great stay.

Room Tip: Go on the website and view the rooms.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Akron, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We stayed here this past Labor Day (20011). We were on our way to Hocking Hills. This is an old restored hotel with a restaurant. The layout in the Hocking Hills travel book looked inviting so we thought we'd try it. The dinners were terrible. The house salad was a pile of greens, with a few croutons, almost falling off a too small plate. My husband scallops were in so much butter it was like soup. My fish had no flavor at all. There was a band playing in the corner of the restaurant and the music was so loud we couldn't even carry on a nice conversation. Our room was clean, but the iron headboard squeaked every time one of us moved.The next morning we waited 30 minutes for our breakfast--there was only one other couple eating in the dining room.Very poor service. Our eggs benedict was marginal.
When we checked out the hostess at the front desk didn't seem to be overly concerned about our complaints. She did have me leave my name and phone number and told me that the owner would call me. I've received no call or letter to address my complaints and it's been over 3 months. Save your money

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Wish I could say I had a positive experience at Shaws but sadly this was not the case. Service in both the hotel and the restaurant below average. Room was okay but as other reviewers have commented, not worthy of the rate charged. The restaurant needs some work. I would have appreciated being told that the kitchen closed at 9:00 PM on a Saturday night no less when making the reservation for 8:00 PM. My experience was I and my guests were rushed through dinner. The entrees were served while we were still eating our appetizers. Loved the thought of the cinnamon rolls but they were probably better a few hours prior as the product served was stale and unappealing and why would you want cinnamon rolls with dinner when you are having your appetizers? No offer of coffee or dessert after our meal. All in all a rushed experience while the food quality particularly the prime rib was very good, was not enough to warrant the failure in the very basics of good service. One last comment, I was never asked how I enjoyed my stay or my meal. That says it all as obviously no one cared and for that I will not be back nor will I recommend Shaws to anyone.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Shaw's Inn? Share your experiences!