“Not worth of the Hampton Inn name! So gross!” 1 of 5 stars

Earn Double the Points
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Kent
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Corvallis, Oregon
“Not worth of the Hampton Inn name! So gross!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2005

I've always come to expect a clean, comfortable room and pleasant staff at Hampton Inns. However, this hotel falls short of meeting my expectations. Had there not been a free breakfast and no signage about Hampton, I would have thought I was staying at a Super 8 or Motel 6.

My room number was 109.

First, for the positives. The staff was friendly and helpful. I asked for directions and they gave me a printed form. I asked for restaurant recommendations and they sent me to a decent restaurant. I asked if something could be done about the smell in my room and they sprayed some deodorizer. I asked for pool towels and they provided them. I reported a problem with the phone in my room, but the young clerk said several rooms were having problems. The next day it still didn't work to dial outside of the hotel, so maybe they planned to fix it later. I found the pool to be clean and refreshing and the breakfast bar to be well stocked.

The room was the real issue. It smelled of spoiled milk and mold. It helped when they deodorized it, but there was still an underlying moldy, sour smell. The room had visibly soiled/stained carpet and was dark and drab feeling. We were hesistant to remove our shoes and made sure to remove the bedspread before retiring for the evening. The beds sat very low to the floor (characteristic of cheap hotel beds.) They also had rusty metal bars protruding from the sides of the beds. I ran into one during the night, so I have the bruise to remind me of my visit. Fortunately I didn't hit it hard enough to break the skin or I would have required a tetanus shot after coming into contact with the rust. I finally realized why these things stuck out of the mattress - evidently the beds used to be Queen size, but at some point a double mattress was placed upon the queen frame. Speaking of mattresses, that was the worst part of the room. While it was not noticable when the beds were made, once the covers were peeled back there were big dark stains all over the sides of the box springs. Gross!

If I'm ever in Kent again, I will select the Holiday Inn Express or sleep in the car. I would not recommend this hotel. I fully expect that it will lose it's right to be called Hampton Inn in the future. I see a 1* hotel rating in it's future too.

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2004

Basic hotel that is clean and has a friendly staff.

Been to Hampton Inn Kent/Akron Area? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hampton Inn Kent/Akron Area

Address: 4406 State Route 43, Kent, OH 44240
Location: United States > Ohio > Kent
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Kent
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Hampton Inn Kent/Akron Area 2.5*
The Hampton Inn Kent/Akron is conveniently located in Kent, Ohio just minutes from Kent State University. Our hotel has 76 guestrooms, accessible rooms, pool, business center and fitness center to accommodate all of your traveling needs. In addition to the free hot breakfast, fresh Hampton Bed and free high speed internet in every room, our hotel proudly offers the 100% Hampton Guarantee on every stay. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hilton Hotels and Hotels.com so you can book your Hampton Inn Kent/Akron Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Hampton Inn Kent/Akron Area Hotel Kent
Kent Hampton Inn
Hampton Inn Kent/Akron Area Ohio

If you own or manage Hampton Inn Kent/Akron Area, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.