“Last minute stop - should have gone on...” 1 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Cleveland - Independence
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6020 Quarry Lane, Independence, OH 44131   |
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Independence
Timmins, Canada
“Last minute stop - should have gone on...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We were four travelling on three motorcycles - my son & I on two bikes, his friend and his friend's wife on the third bike. We spotted the Red Roof Inn from the highway and given the high ratings the chain normally receives in reviews, we stopped and used wireless internet at a restaurant next door to assist in securing rooms for the night, and then headed over. Once our luggage had been removed from our bikes, my son & I entered our room The couple accompanying us came over to let us know that their room had not been adequately cleaned. His wife pulled the covers off our beds and sure enough, not only had they also been slept in, there were pubic hairs in the bed linen in one of them. We all headed over to the office. Upon learning of this, the clerk was mortified. We were given keys to fresh rooms. The couple was in luck - their new room was clean, but ours wasn't. My son & I made the trek back to the office. I offered that if the clerk gave us fresh linens, we'd make the beds ourselves. The clerk told us that we couldn't be expected to make our own beds, but we also couldn't remain in that room as there was no spare linen available. She made a call to the owner and was authorized to offer us rooms in the main building. We'd already moved twice, now - using a housekeeping cart - we were moving a third time only to find that this room had also not received a thorough cleaning but at least the beds were OK, and we'd only be in the room for a few hours, so we opted to stay. The couple opted to remain in the other building. Final tally - we checked five rooms to get two, and had we not settled for these, would have had to move on... Not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ClevelandAM, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Cleveland - Independence, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
We appreciate your feedback about your stay from last June of 2012 but were unable to validate your comments. We take great pride in the quality and cleanliness of our newly renovated rooms. Please feel free to contact us directly to discuss the problems you describe and what we can do to earn your business back.
Thank-you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Provincetown, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have stayed here many times and have been very pleased. The hotel is comfortable and the location is great and the rates are good. They take the Cats with out an extra charge, which is always a plus. The rooms are clean and amply furnished. While they do not have food, the restaurant next store is a reasonable alternative! This was not my best stay however, but I arrived later then usual and the one room left was not the best of rooms. In spite of that I would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: Check in early.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Charley-
Thanks for writing a review on your recent stay in Cleveland. I'm glad you like us for our comfort, location and price. We'll see you next time you're in town.
Wheelersburg, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

During a recent business trip to Cleveland I was bumped out of my reservation at the Embassy Suites and forced to stay at the Red Roof Inn nearby. When I entered the lobby of what I thought was a cheap, low quality hotel I was immediately greeted by a young man and an older gentleman. I was cheerfully greeted and told they were expecting me. WOW! They were expecting me! I wasn't expecting that - they immediately got me checked into my room that they called their Superior King; a modern room with hardwood flooring and upscale fixtures. The bed was more comfortable than many 4 star hotels I've stayed in. I also had a microwave and small refrigerator. Although the facility was older, it had been recently renovated. I loved the fact that the entire hotel is a non-smoking property.
Besides the wonderful room, I have to say the best part of my stay was the staff. I actually declined Embassy's offer to return for my 2nd night - why would I do that? I will now be staying at the Red Roof Inn when I make my quarterly trip to Cleveland! I really felt like they wanted me to be their guest! How often do you get that nowadays?
Thank-you for making me a new customer.
Steven H.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jon B, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Cleveland - Independence, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased that we were able to accommodate you. I have shared your remarks with my team and they are happy to hear about your experience. We pride ourselves on providing our guests clean and comfortable room, along with great guest service. I am glad that your experience was a memorable one and we look forward to seeing you again during your next stay in Cleveland-Independence.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We make frequent trips to Cleveland Clinic. On the first trip, we took a chance on the Red Roof in Independence, OH. We were not disappointed, and stay there every trip since. This clean and spacious hotel is pet friendly (very important to those of us with a service dog), near the Clinic, and most accommodating. Staff is attentive to our special requests, very friendly and helpful regarding locale (like where to eat and how to minimize exposure to traffic jams). We just learned they have special rates for patients at the Clinic, which is an unexpected and delightful bonus. You cannot beat the service, quality, and accommodations at Red Roof Independence for the price. Color us very pleased!

Room Tip: We prefer a business king to have room for a service dog and for the added computer desk. Wi-Fi con...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the great comments. We are pleased that we have been able to accommodate you. I have shared your remarks with my team and they are happy to hear about your experience. We do offer special rates for Cleveland Clinic Patients. Please contact us directly to make your reservations at 216-447-0030. We look forward to seeing you again during your next stay in Cleveland-Independence.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Long story short... My owner had a hissy fit and had the company credit cards turned off on a Friday. He told no one. I went on the road Saturday evening with my small personal credit card and company credit card. The rental car company sucked up all credit on personal card. My booked hotel, where I am a Diamond member, basically told me to tell my story walking. No discount. No checks. No wait till tomorrow (it was after 11 PM). Up the street Tim was working the night shift at Red Roof Inn. I told him my tale of woe. He found a way to get me in for the few dollars cash I had in my pocket. Next morning, I got some things figured out, and kept the rest of my stay at that property, because they helped me...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased to hear that Tim was able to assist you. I have shared your great comments with Tim and he is glad that he was able to make your experience a great one. We pride ourselves on providing great customer service. We look forward to seeing you again during your next stay in Cleveland-Independence.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

How refreshing to find customer service at it's finest! Not only was our room upgraded, they also gave us free tickets to the Rock snd Roll Hall ofFame! The front desk staff were superior from our check in to the upgrade and tickets to directing us to a great pkace to eat. WOW! Stay at this Red Roof Inn you will have a marvelous experience. Hats off to the grest staff.

• Stayed April 2013
Jon B, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cleveland - Independence, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for your great comments. I have shared your experience with my staff and they are happy that they could assist you in making your stay a great one. We pride ourselves on providing our guests great service and a clean and comfortable room. We look forward to seeing you again during your next visit to the Cleveland-Independence area.

Regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Worst hotel I have ever stayed.
I guess I am used to 3 stars hotels or more, so maybe my expectations were a little too high for a 2 star hotel. But based on all the positive reviews, I decided take a chance on the Red Roof Inn since I was only going to be there for a few of hours overnight (got there around 11:30pm and was scheduled to leave at 6:30am)
As soon as I walked in the lobby, I smelled smoke. Meanwhile, the whole lobby is plastered with signs advertising that this was a smoke free hotel. When I asked the desk clerk about the smell, and whether the rooms also smelled like this, he first indicated that there was no smell. Then he mentionned "oh, there was another guest that was just here. Maybe that's why you smell smoke." hmm, not a food first impression. Thankfully, the room did not smell...
There was mold/rust in the shower and toilet. The washroom itself was tiny, as well as the toilet bowl. It was soooo low to the floor. Almost felt like I was in a kid's playhouse. The towels were small as well. Maybe they figured that if everything is small...you will think everything is standard size.
The heater is probably the loudest machine I ever heard. I couldn't sleep with all the noise, so I turned it off, even though it was quite cold in the room. But I needed some sleep.
The pillows were too hard. Had to put them aside and sleep without pillows...
The only reason didn't head out of there was because it was already 11:30pm and I had to work early the next morning.
Being that its a 2 star hotel, I knew I shouldn't expect too much, but overall, the loud A/C unit + rusty and tiny washroom made my stay there unbearable.

• Stayed March 2013
ClevelandAM, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Cleveland - Independence, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
I'm so very sorry that we fell short of meeting your expectations. The problems you describe are certainly not the norm here. Would you please contact me directly to let me know which room you stayed in? That way I can make sure we address your concerns. We realize you have a choice in where to stay when you travel and appreciate you choosing Red Roof.
Warm regards,
Jon
216.447.0030

Been to Red Roof Inn Cleveland - Independence? Share your experiences!