“Good place to stay for the business traveler” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Independence
Topeka, Kansas
“Good place to stay for the business traveler”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband was in the Cleveland area on business and I was able to accompany him. Having been to the area on previous business trips, we knew the areas of Cleveland to avoid and knew that Independence was a reasonably upscale area. In fact, we have stayed at this Holiday Inn for business in the past and made the decision to stay there again in spite of the fact that during that other stay the motel was undergoing a major upgrade/remodel and maneuvering around construction debris was a bit awkward.

Our stay this time was without hitch. Common areas of the motel are grand and the staff was friendly.

Our king room was spacious with a couch and a work desk (important for my husband has he has reports to complete after his meetings). We did not have any issues with the internet as reported in other reviews. The bathroom was a bit tiny but very clean. We had an issue with the commode running but a call to the front desk had maintenance there immediately. Since we were there for multiple days, daily maid service was not needed but they did check on us each morning and refreshed our bathroom daily.

The pool area is in a separate building but connected to the main building by an enclosed walkway. Mostly we were the only ones in the pool and enjoyed our swim albeit in a somewhat chilly pool. There was also a dry sauna and an exercise room in the pool complex.

The only issue we had with this stay was with breakfast. As with most business-type lodging choices, breakfast was not included in the cost of the room. This is usually not a problem but the buffet, priced at just under $10 per person, did not vary during our stay and offered little in the way of variety. Ordering from the menu would have cost as much as the buffet so we each had the buffet. On check-out day we opted to leave before eating and just look for a breakfast place further down the highway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Tom M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cleveland Independence, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear MsBiker:

Thank you so much for your kind words about our property. I am glad you were able to see the fruits of labor - in getting a chance to see the hotel during renovations and it's final product.
Thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to seeing you and your husband again on a future trip to our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Toledo, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed here on somebody else's hotel points. Someone was lurking outside my door this morning for a while and when I woke up there was a bill-- I just about choked when I saw that this room is supposedly worth $150. The TV barely works, my room is in front of the ice machine the wireless is almost worthless. I came here thinking that I would be able to work on some online course work but had so many problems with the internet connection that I requested an extension for my assignments. Had the hotel manager come up to look at my internet connection and he had never seen a mac before-- I knew more about the internet connection than he did. He gave me a number to call for 24 hour help and it didn't work.

I would not stay here again. There are half a dozen hotels at least within a half mile from here. I'm sure they are better.

Room Tip: ask to be away from any vending machines/elevators.
Dear msquared023:

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I apologize that your stay was not what you had expected it to be. If you'd like to discuss your stay further so that I could get more specific details I would be more than happy to speak with you. Please contact me direct at 216-524-8050.

Thank you again and I hope you will give us another opportunity to serivce you hotel needs as I know that we certainly exceed your expectations.
Sterling Heights, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel many times over the past 30 years. It's been updated regularly and the rooms are fine. The older construction model helps with noise - it is quieter than most. The meeting staff does a great job and it's a good place for business functions.

Room Tip: Rockside Road is very busy - the further toward the back you are, the quieter it will be.
Dear professordoctormom:

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to comment about our hotel. We appreciate your loyatly to our hotel over the years. We do strive to consistently maintain our property and we appreciate you noticing our hard work.

We look forward to your continued patronage over the years to come.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

It's a huge hotel situated in a safe part of Cleveland. It offers a lot of restaurant options around the hotel. Hotel staffs were very courteous, and Were very helpful. The rooms were reasonably clean, though the bathrooms can be a bit better. I recall the toilet seat has a lot of scratch marks and dents on them which was a big negative for me. Overall, it's a good place to stay at an affordable price and within a safe part in town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear D C:

Thank you so much for your recent stay with us. We are happy you chose our hotel and most importantly your nice comments regarding your experience. We thank you for your feedback regarding the toilet seat in your room and we have had our housekeeping and maintenance departments looking into this.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you on a return visit to our city.
Boalsburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I've stayed at this Holiday Inn in Independence, OH, several times over the past few years when taking my father-in-law to regular appointments at the Cleveland Clinic. We have always booked the room through Priceline, and the process has been very smooth. Check-in was seamless. Our room was very nice, sufficiently spacious for two men, and well-appointed. The bathroom was a bit small, but fully functional (with one of those nice curved curtain rods to prevent the stupid shower curtain from constantly sticking to your body while you're showering). The TV was large. The beds were comfortable. Parking was plentiful and free. USA Today newspapers were free and available at the front desk.

And, for our purposes, it was great to have several decent dining options nearby, including Bob Evans, Denny's, Red Robin, and Outback all within walking distance or a very short drive. The hotel is right at the intersection of I-77 and I-480, so it's easy to access and easy to get to downtown Cleveland. We encountered a bit of traffic congestion getting to downtown when we drove during rush hour for previous trips (not to be unexpected in a major city), but the roads flowed smoothly for a noontime appointment on this trip.

My primary disappointment with this Holiday Inn is the lack of a complementary breakfast, which I've come to really appreciate when traveling. But this Holiday Inn fully satisfies our needs, and I'll be happy to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tom M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cleveland Independence, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for your stays while going to the Cleveland Clinic. We appreciate your nice comments about our hotel and staff. We hope you will continue to make us your home away from home when in the Cleveland area.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a business trip. The breakfast buffet was good and the in-house bar is really hopping (they say) on weekend nights. The staff is very helpful and responds very promptly to requests.
I enjoyed the Thai restaurant and the Winking Lizard sports bar which are just a short walk from the hotel.
However, the rooms are small for what you pay and only one of the two beds in my room was comfortable. The bathroom was small and its fixtures were loose.

• Stayed April 2013
Tom M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cleveland Independence, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed our restaurant and our breakfast buffet. I am very happy our staff took good care of you while you were here. The items you have mentioned regarding the loose bathroom fixtures will be addressed with our Chief Engineer. We regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel and hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Southfield, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last year for a weekend event and the room was fairly nice but this time around I stayed overnight and I was not as pleased. I was very unhappy that the couch looked older and there was only 1 phone in the room. The phone was not located next to the bed but across the room by the television.....what sense does that make......further more why isnt there another phone in the room? The curtains also looked like they needed to be cleaned/changed; I was surely disappointed. I am very particular about cleanliness in hotels especially because of bugs and previous experiences at hotels. The most distrubing of all was the 'bed tax' that they add to your bill that was almost $10. I was not a happy customer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Tom M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cleveland Independence, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Guest:
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your recent stay with us. We do have one phone in the room and we do put it on the desk to accommodate guests who are working at the desk. The bed tax is a county tax strictly for hotels in Cuyahoga County and it does run 8.25% of your room rate. This is applicable at all hotels in our county. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to service your hotel needs the next time you are in our area.

Been to Holiday Inn Cleveland Independence? Share your experiences!