“Not Bad...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Independence
Iowa
“Not Bad...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Picked up this room on Priceline for $60 after attending a broadway show at Playhouse square. Easy 5-10 minute drive from downtown, right off the interstate. Hotel is located in an older building, however, the room had been recently updated (i.e. flat screen tv, granite countertops, etc.).
The Hotel is within easy walking distance to the Winking Lizard, Melt, Delmonico's, etc. Hotel bar is definitely an experience -- starts out fairly quite but quickly turns into local nightspot/hangout complete with live band, karaoke, etc. Definitely a first-time experience for us at a Holiday Inn! If you are looking for a lively hotel w/out the need to drive this is definitely the place!

Only complaint -- when we arrived there was a distinct sewage odor in the elevator/hotel hallways -- I would guess that this hotel has been battling some plumbing issues for some time. However, our room was free from any smell.

If you can pick up this hotel for the right price -- would definitely recommend for a quick weekend getaway!

Room Tip: Use a travel/bidding website for this hotel on weekends
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tom M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cleveland Independence, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us. Yes, we are in a great location - only 10 -15 mins from the downtown attractions and many restaurants in our area. In reponse to the smell you noticed, our maintenance department did have to utilize a chemical to unclog a drain. The chemical does have a strong odor and it does dissipate quickly. Thank you again for taking the time out of your busy day to comment on your stay and we hope you'll stay with us again the next time you are in our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My buddy and me were in town for a Browns game. We booked this hotel through priceline for 55.00 per night. For that price, we couldn't complain. But to be honest, even if we paid full price, we still would have been pleased. Airport shuttle saved us about 35.00 bucks each way in cab fare, and the lovely girl working the front desk even arranged for a shuttle for us to the game! Room was clean and spacious. Comfy beds and nice TV.Breakfast in the morning was a 9.00 buffet that was acceptable but nothing to remember. All in all a pleasant stay. We'd stay again. On a side note, the lounge/bar is a great place to spend a Saturday night. The people who frequent it really know how to have a good time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again the next time you are in the Cleveland area.
New Castle, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Attended a large business conference in the area. Good service, large rooms, and a good buffet for breakfast. Friendly people! Good location but traffic in and out can be difficult at times during the day. A good experience all around!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! We strive hard to exceed our guests expectations and glad to see we have done so. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I wasn't overly impressed by our recent stay at this Holiday Inn. The hotel has been recently renovated, however it still shows many signs of wear and tear. Upon arrival, check in was quick and friendly, however upon entering our room there was a decent size stream of water flowing from the
ceiling onto the towels and toilet. We notified the front desk and the problem was patched by the time we returned to the room a few hours later. The room was clean but as other reviews have stated, it seemed worn. I would have been more disappointed if we had paid full price for our stay. Overall in my opinion, I have no major complaints, it just didn't wow me.

Room Tip: Make sure to request a non-smoking room if you do not smoke as this hotel still has smoking rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have not stayed in a Holiday Inn in decades. The only reason I stayed here was because I was stranded due to Hurricane Sandy and this property (plus a HoJo) offered deeply discounted rates to distressed travelers. My stress got worse, thanks to this place.

Before I booked the place I checked it out online on my laptop from the airport. "Newly renovated in 2010." Rooms looked nice -- fresh, updated, almost like a high end Marriott. My room was OK at first glance. But it smelled like mildew (dirty shower curtain), the areas behind furniture had not been vacuumed since the Ice Age (dust alligators), the vents on the A/C were black with dirt and exhaust, and heaven knows what was living in the carpet. If I had not been so exhausted I would have moved to another room but also figured that this would be the standard for each room.

Dinner in the restaurant was unenjoyable -- Holiday Inn food, you know. Lunch the next was no better -- slowwwww server (10 minutes for a glass of tea in an empty restaurant?), 25 minutes for a sandwich?

Is there something in the water that makes Clevelanders unhappy, unfriendly and unresponsive? Not ever a "Good morning," a "How is your stay?", or a "Thank you" from the hotel staff. Granted, the weather was horrible but, c'mon.

'Nuf said. Never again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is a hotel that was probably a great hotel back in its time, however this hotel is junk now, as soon as you walk in you a greater by this double doors that only one of them works and you have to fight to get your stuff thru them since there is nobody there to help you with your stuff, the front desk are not the most helpful, after getting a room by the elevator I requested to be moved to a room the same size somewhere more towards the middle of the hall, I was placed In the last room at the end of the hall, the size of the bed was a full and after talking to the staff they told me to stop complaining that is was not that bad. The room were not only small, but they were no cozy, they smelled bad and the carpet was so dirty that even walking around with socks on made it uncomfortable, I think I was so very disappointed at this place that I can probably keep going on and on about how bad my experience was at this place, but I think you get the point. Do yourself a favor and find a different place, they are a lot of options around to be stuck in this bad hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
Tom M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cleveland Independence, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your feedback with us regarding your recent stay. During the hot months of the summer and the cold days of winter, we do shut down one of the double doors of the front entrance to keep the hot/cold air out and keep our lobby more comfortable for our guests. We are also finishing up a major renovation at our hotel. We have done not only the exterior of the building, but our guestrooms as well.
I apologize if your stay was not as it should have been. Our goal is to consistently not only meet our guests expectations, but to exceed them. We obviously fell short in this area in regards to your stay. Your comments have been discussed with our staff so that we may improve our hotel operation. We hope you will give us another opportunity to service your hotel needs the next time you are in the Cleveland area. Please contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Our room was disgusting and gross!!!! The main lobby, the hotel bar, the hotel pool, and the hotel restaurant were just fine. Those areas were clean. Our room was a whole other story. Hhmm, where do I begin. There were many stray hairs in the shower, the shower was stained from dirt over the years, there were several dead bugs in the light fixture in the bathroom, there was black growth on the caulk in the tub area - that is just the bathroom. The room itself wasn't any better. There was many areas of stains on the ceiling from water damage, the wallpaper was peeling off, the carpet was filthy, oh good god. I sound so bad, but this is the honest truth. I would not ever stay here again. The front desk took $20.00 off of our bill, ($140) but this room wasn't worth the price. YUCK!!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you book.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cleveland Independence, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear 4qqqq,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at our hotel. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of the room you received. I have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Cleveland Independence? Share your experiences!