“If you want to stay in a place similar to your home, this 5 Star Hotel would be your choice.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Independence
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mukilteo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

When I travel to Ohio, it's not always for pleasure. You see my mom has Alzheimer's Disease going on five years now. My dad, bless his heart, goes and stays with mom or more than 5 hours a day at the home she resides in. I fly to Ohio every 4 months and would not stay anywhere else except for the Crowne Plaza. Why? Well, there are many reasons that just won't fit this page. The staff at the hotel are like family to me. They go above and beyond the call of duty to please their customers. My favorite, of course, everyone has a favorite is Pat. She is the "Princess of the Dining Room". Speaking of dining room, the chefs prepare wonderful meals that my pocketbook can afford. The Management Team and front office staff are the best. I would NOT stay anywhere else. The rooms are keps up very clean, the grounds at the hotel are wonderful and the beds are awesome! So, next time you need a place to stay in Ohio, book the Crowne Plaza in Independence! You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Allison Park
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

When my son and I checked in, I immediately looked over the room for bedbugs. A recent article in a local newspaper listed Cleveland as a hotspot for them. The bedding was completely clean, and there were no issues at all. Everything related to the bedding was very clean.

The desk/television stand had huge scratches all over it--as though someone gouged it with a screwdriver. I notified the front desk, so I would not be blamed.

My issue was with the bathtub; there were small flies of some sort around the drain. I notified the front desk of this issue, and I was told it would be taken care of ASAP. I was out of the room all day and returned around 6:00 p.m. to see that nothing had been done. I complained to the front desk, and the managers (housekeeping and front desk) showed up at my room. They were very considerate and apologetic, and I appreciated that.

I was disappointed that after a maintenance person sprayed some sort of bug spray in the tub, the same critters were back the next day. To me, this is inexcusable.

Would I stay here again? Yes, the pool was great for the kids, and the breakfast was also terrific.

One would think cleanliness would be a top priority, but I'm not sure this is the case here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
acongin, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
Thank you for your comments! We truly appreciate the positive things regarding your stay that you brought to our attention, the staff will appreciate them! I am very disappointed that our response was not quicker on your requests. There is simply no excuse for that although I am glad the managers were as you noted "considerate and apologetic." I have followed up on the fly problem and I can assure you the problem will not re-occur. Please accept my apologies. In closing, thank you for indicating you would return to our hotel! We would love to have you as our guest. Please call me personally at 216-750-0819 and I will make your reservation. Thank you again.

Scott Schmelzer
Grand Rapids, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Mediocrity ruled our stay here. The people at the front desk we friendly, but the room quality was only ok at best. The hotel is currently being renovated - long overdue and probably should have been done about 10 years ago. We stayed in an unrenovated section. The carpets were stained, the hallways were poorly lit, the tiles were separating from the bathroom walls, there were mold spots on the bathroom ceiling, and the whole place smelled musty. Our room was sort of clean - if you ignored the ice still in the bucket from the last people and the hair in the tub. Unfortunately, I doubt the upgrades will have a positive effect on the housekeeping quality. They did have a nice big indoor pool (the outdoor one was closed due to inclement weather), but it was very crowded with locals, which seemed unusual to us.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
acongin, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this review, September 2, 2010
Please accept my sincerest apology for what was clearly a less than perfect stay. Thank you for your comments as well. We truly want to hear from our guests so we can use their observations to either improve our services or thank members of our staff for a job well done. Since your stay, carpets have been replaced with new ones and the poor hallway lighting you noted has also been fixed. In addition, brand new granite is being installed in the bathrooms. I sincerely hope you will give us another chance in the future. Please contact me the next time you visit the area and I will make arrangements personally. My direct line is 216-750-0819. Thank you again.

Scott Schmelzer
Downers Grove, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

This hotel stay is my worst experience in 8 years of business travel in the Midwest. The lack of maintenance and upkeep on this property is startling and inexcusable. The exterior was being painted and the lobby had clearly been renovated, but the positive impression ends there. Walking down the corridor of the 1st level, the heat was oppressive, the carpets were worn, and every single conference and guest room door was horribly scratched and scuffed--as a guest, hardly inviting at all and not what one expects from a mid-to-upper level brand. I have never seen such poor upkeep. Upon entering my room, I was greeted by more stained and worn carpeting. In keeping with the theme of disrepair that began in the hallway, there was further disappointment and shock to be found in the bathroom. While it's clear there had been some renovation--the countertop was granite and a curved shower curtain bar had been installed--the main light fixture in the bathroom was not working and the only available lighting came from the vanity lights over the mirror. The wallpaper was peeling, the shower tiles were cracked and dirty, and the ceiling was badly stained. What's more, and most disturbing of all, a small spider had made it's web home in the middle of the bathroom floor and was unhappy to be disturbed when I walked in. I showered while standing in soapy water, since the tub refused to drain. Pulling back the comforter on the bed, I found another spider, upset that I had disturbed its rest. The next morning, I relayed my unhappiness to the front desk and asked if perhaps my room has been vacant for some time, and I was assured that was not the case and repairmen would be dispatched to address the lighting and the clogged tub in the bathroom. No attempt to address the spider issue. Upon returning in the afternoon, imagine my shock and disbelief to find the tub and bathroom floor soiled and strewn with debris--apparently the tub repairman had cleared the clog and fixed the light fixture, but decided not to clean up after themselves. Hard to believe perhaps, but true. I immediately went to the front desk and voiced my concern and a housekeeper showed up to clean the tub. That night, I saw a third spider scurry near the wall next to the air condition unit. Later, around 5:20AM the entire hotel was awakened by the fire alarm and everyone had to evacuate the building for about 15 minutes. Later that morning, we received a note of apology which explained the fire alarm was triggered by 'a water leak that ran down the wall and into a fire alarm pull station'. Guests were offered a a complimentary breakfast and beverage. Based on the lack of upkeep and general disrepair of the property, it is not surprising there would be a water leak.

This was a thoroughly disappointing and disturbing stay in every way. In all my travels, domestic and international, from budget chains such as Red Roof and Sleep Inn through premium properties such as Westin and Hyatt, I have NEVER had issues with insects in guest rooms, even in tropical destinations such as Taiwan and Costa Rica. It is particularly inexcusable for what I had considered to be a reasonably upscale property such as Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
South
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

This hotel while still under renovation is comfortable the front desk staff, shuttle drivers and housekeeping esp. Barb C. did go out of their way to be quite helpful. The service in the restuarant for the evening meal was quite slow. At times the resturant was under staffed. The room we had was on the first floor was a nice size and fine until mold appeared. We then left a day early our conference had ended.
The jacuzzi function was not working on the hot tub while we were there and no cooling system in the indoor pool building which is connected by a hall to the main building . Or you can enter from the area by the outdoor pool which is not open. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. You need your room key to enter from most outdoor areas.
The shuttle was always available to and from the airport. We used the shuttle to take us to the grocery store twice, once to the drugstore, and to downtown to catch the Lolly the Trolley tour of downtown Cleveland and back to the hotel.
The hotel is on top of a hill, off 77, in an office park, restuarants are nearby, just a couple you can walk to,

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence? Share your experiences!