“Motel 6 surprises me yet again!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron to your Saves list
Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 Rye Beach Road, off Interstate 2, exit Rye Beach Road, Huron, OH 44839   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Huron
Brownstown
“Motel 6 surprises me yet again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Once again I had used up all of my driving hours and had to shut down for a minimum of 10 hours. Out of all the nearby places, Motel 6 had the best price. Showing my AARP card made the rate even better. A Clean, neat, comfortable and a fresh smelling room was my reward for staying here. The pool was nice too. Friendly staff on top of that; I will stay here again if I find myself needing a room while in the area.

Stayed July 2014
Matt S, General Manager at Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our Motel. I'm glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us. We strive to offer a Clean, Comfortable room to all of our guests! I look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the area!

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Carlisle, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Highly recommended!! The staff was friendly and very attentive to our questions and needs. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Pool and hot tub were top notch. Very convenient to area attractions. I can say without a doubt I'll stay here if I'm ever in the area again!

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for leaving such a wonderful review of you recent stay at our Motel. I'm happy to hear that my staff was able to help you with any questions/needs you had about the motel and area. I am truly looking forward to seeing you again!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

For the amount, I would have expected much more. We are not strangers to motels. The only things in the motel's favor was that it was close to our venue and the air conditioner worked. If the noise from other patrons doesn't keep you awake, the trains will. Immediately upon arrival, I stepped into the hall and asked a housekeeper if she had a vacuum cleaner and politely told her that our room had been overlooked in that area. She was very nice about it and came to our door in just a few minutes with a Swiffer and a bottle of cleaner and moved around the dust bunnies and all the hair. We were given a military discount and paid over $100 for a room that was filthy. Long dark hairs on the floors, the blanket, and the bed cover. Trash in the bathroom wastebasket. They advertised rooms for as low as $39.95 and I'd sure hate to stay in one of those.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay at our Motel. I'm sorry to hear that your stay was anything less than exceptional. I understand that during the summer months our rates do rise fairly higher than normal, however we always try to beat our local competitors by at least 20%. I am also sorry to hear that we did not meet our goals of providing you with a Clean, Comfortable room. I have enacted a few changes to make sure that these same issues do not occur in the future. Thank you again for letting me know where we had room for improvements.

Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Although the room we stayed in was relatively clean, there is nothing in the rooms. No soap, no hair dryer, no shampoo, no breakfast...nothing. Just a bear room, lucky to have a tv (and a small one in the upper corner of the room). So if you are used to the usual adequacies, look somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for reviewing our Motel during your recent stay with us. Motel 6 is known to be a low amenities motel to keep our costs down and pass those savings directly on to all of our guests by having the Lowest Rate of all the National Motel Chains. I hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in the area.

South Bend, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We thought this would be a great, cheap place to rest after a long day at Cedar Point. Why not, we only needed it to sleep not to spend time there? Nope, we were wrong!! Do not try to save a few extra bucks like we did! We will spend a little more next time to ensure we have a comfortable stay.

We got the suite with 2 beds and fridge. Upon arriving, within the first 10 minutes of taking off shoes my daughter came to me and said her socks were dirty. I lookeds and you could see her footprint in light dirt AND dog hair!!! Eeww!! We had to wear our shoes the whole time. Then, when we got back from CP we all took showers before bed. The bathroom just looking at it made me feel unclean. Around the shower and toilet the caulk was mildewed and dirty. So gross. And the towels were also stained. Not to metion it was more of a hand towel size than a bath towel. The beds are a mattress on a block of wood. They say trendy, I say matress slipping all around!

On a good note, the train did not bother us! We were tired from our day. Please don't short change yourself. Just spend an extra $50 on something comfortable. We couldn't wait to get out of there so we woke up and checked out right away instead of letting the kids swim like we wanted. I guess you get what you pay for and the "motel" part is right. You are staying in a motel not hotel, our bad!

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at our Motel. I'm sorry to hear that we fell short of our expectations during your stay. We strive to make every one of our guests stays exceptional and apologize for not succeeding in that. I hope that you will give us another chance to improve upon your experience and stay with us again.

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

First, I am used to staying at Hilton Resorts, timeshares and vacation rentals so I was a bit concerned about staying here for six nights for a nearby dance competition. I didn't want pay the ridiculously high prices at Kalahari. I booked the suite with a microwave and fridge online for $64.99/nt.

The exterior of the hotel is actually clean and nice, and there was always plenty of parking. The location is great for Kalahari, Cedar Point, and pretty much anything else you want to do in this area. Easy on and off of Highway 2 and nowhere near the congestion of 250.

The lobby and indoor pool were generally kept clean with just a few issues here and there (rubber bands, etc.) by the pool. However, it is clear the staff tries to keep up because I didn't see those items still laying around the next day.

I had a suite on the third floor facing the road. You could still hear the trains (and there are a lot of them) but they didn't interrupt my 8-yr-old daughter's sleep, or mine. We just kept the air on and the tv low and we were fine.

I'm a germaphobe so I always bring my own commercial disinfectant to use (even at 5-star resorts). The only things I noticed were dirt in the window sills, and that the microwave and fridge needed a wipe down. Thankfully, the bathroom was clean as were the towels.

I saw a spider by the window. However, the windows can be opened and that might explain a stray bug in the room (so can people tracking them in on shoes, luggage, etc.)

I liked the window seat in our room and the beds, while not fitted with fancy duvet covers, were perfectly fine. The room had two tables, each with its own set of chairs, and I had no issues with the tv and WiFi.

I thought the daily paper was a nice surprise.

Honestly, this fit our needs but if you are looking for frills, amenities, and are planning to spend a ton of time in your room you probably won't be happy here. If you are coming to the area to spend your days exploring and then coming back for a swim then this will meet your needs.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of our Motel during your recent stay with us. We thoroughly enjoy receiving any and all feedback from our guests so that we can see where we have room for improvements. I truly look forward to seeing you again on your next trip into the area!

Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I tried not to expect much from a cheap Motel 6, but was still somewhat disappointed. In general, it served it's purpose of being close to Cedar Point. However, we had a few issues:

- Bathtub wouldn't drain. After taking a quick shower, the water in the tub was several inches deep. I told the front desk at check out and heard other guests say that theirs didn't drain as well.

- Towels are terrible. They actually hurt to dry off with.

- Floor was not very clean. My feet were disgusting after not wearing shoes in the room for a few minutes.

- Wi-Fi didn't work for us. I tried multiple iOS devices, and could only connect once (for about 15 minutes). Also, AT&T wireless reception seems to suck there too, so it extra sucked for us.

- Trains are LOUD! I live near tracks and thought that'd I'd be used to it. NOPE! Even on the top floor and far end away from the tracks. Traffic can be loud as well.

I'll think I'll pay a few bucks more next time and find a better place to stay…

Room Tip: I don't think there are any good rooms… Maybe not facing the road?
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Matt S, General Manager at Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that your experience fell short of your expectations. We strive to make every stay an enjoyable one and I am saddened to hear that we fell short of that goal. We were having some trouble with our WIFI and as soon as it was brought to our attention we got our IT Dept. to come out and get a few new routers order to hopefully fix the problems that were caused by recent storms that passed through the area that disabled some of our equipment. Thank you again for leaving a review of your stay!

Matt

Been to Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron? Share your experiences!