“I was pleasantly surprised!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron to your Saves list
Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 Rye Beach Road, off Interstate 2, exit Rye Beach Road, Huron, OH 44839   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Huron
Michigan
“I was pleasantly surprised!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

First, I am used to staying at Hilton Resorts, timeshares and vacation rentals so I was a bit concerned about staying here for six nights for a nearby dance competition. I didn't want pay the ridiculously high prices at Kalahari. I booked the suite with a microwave and fridge online for $64.99/nt.

The exterior of the hotel is actually clean and nice, and there was always plenty of parking. The location is great for Kalahari, Cedar Point, and pretty much anything else you want to do in this area. Easy on and off of Highway 2 and nowhere near the congestion of 250.

The lobby and indoor pool were generally kept clean with just a few issues here and there (rubber bands, etc.) by the pool. However, it is clear the staff tries to keep up because I didn't see those items still laying around the next day.

I had a suite on the third floor facing the road. You could still hear the trains (and there are a lot of them) but they didn't interrupt my 8-yr-old daughter's sleep, or mine. We just kept the air on and the tv low and we were fine.

I'm a germaphobe so I always bring my own commercial disinfectant to use (even at 5-star resorts). The only things I noticed were dirt in the window sills, and that the microwave and fridge needed a wipe down. Thankfully, the bathroom was clean as were the towels.

I saw a spider by the window. However, the windows can be opened and that might explain a stray bug in the room (so can people tracking them in on shoes, luggage, etc.)

I liked the window seat in our room and the beds, while not fitted with fancy duvet covers, were perfectly fine. The room had two tables, each with its own set of chairs, and I had no issues with the tv and WiFi.

I thought the daily paper was a nice surprise.

Honestly, this fit our needs but if you are looking for frills, amenities, and are planning to spend a ton of time in your room you probably won't be happy here. If you are coming to the area to spend your days exploring and then coming back for a swim then this will meet your needs.

• Stayed July 2014
Matt S, General Manager at Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of our Motel during your recent stay with us. We thoroughly enjoy receiving any and all feedback from our guests so that we can see where we have room for improvements. I truly look forward to seeing you again on your next trip into the area!

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I tried not to expect much from a cheap Motel 6, but was still somewhat disappointed. In general, it served it's purpose of being close to Cedar Point. However, we had a few issues:

- Bathtub wouldn't drain. After taking a quick shower, the water in the tub was several inches deep. I told the front desk at check out and heard other guests say that theirs didn't drain as well.

- Towels are terrible. They actually hurt to dry off with.

- Floor was not very clean. My feet were disgusting after not wearing shoes in the room for a few minutes.

- Wi-Fi didn't work for us. I tried multiple iOS devices, and could only connect once (for about 15 minutes). Also, AT&T wireless reception seems to suck there too, so it extra sucked for us.

- Trains are LOUD! I live near tracks and thought that'd I'd be used to it. NOPE! Even on the top floor and far end away from the tracks. Traffic can be loud as well.

I'll think I'll pay a few bucks more next time and find a better place to stay…

Room Tip: I don't think there are any good rooms… Maybe not facing the road?
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Matt S, General Manager at Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that your experience fell short of your expectations. We strive to make every stay an enjoyable one and I am saddened to hear that we fell short of that goal. We were having some trouble with our WIFI and as soon as it was brought to our attention we got our IT Dept. to come out and get a few new routers order to hopefully fix the problems that were caused by recent storms that passed through the area that disabled some of our equipment. Thank you again for leaving a review of your stay!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I guess it says a lot when you join Trip Advisor just to write a review of your recent stay. This past weekend my girlfriend and I stayed at the Motel 6 on Rye Beach road for two evenings as a part of us visiting Cedar Point for the half marathon. Upon checking in we knew that our stay was going to be anything but pleasant. The photos posted on their website and here provide anything but a true indication of what the rooms are like.

Sleeping Area:
In our room you could tell that the rooms were recently renovated, but was done with a poor level of quality. The laminate flooring that they had placed down was bubbling up to the point where every step that you were taking you felt like you were bouncing due to the flooring shifting so much. In terms of the bed, you will be provided two pillows and a rock hard bed that is difficult to sleep in. Couple that with a comforter that is far from the definition of clean and you will be sure to get anything but a solid night's sleep. On our second night there we were greeted by bugs on our pillows (see photos).

Bathroom:
I can say this is the first that I have ever experienced a bathroom of this level of uncleanliness. Upon arrival we noticed that there was wet & dried urine on the toilet (see photos). In addition to that two out of the three towels had hairs on them and one had a dried blood spot as well. The water pressure in the shower is essentially no existent as we found that it was basically dripping out of the faucet. Even with this low flow of water, our shower drain was unable to keep up with it and ultimately would fill up as we were taking showers. Again, the low quality of the renovations could be noted in here as the caulking they placed in the corners of the room were peeling away.

Other Notes:
As others have noted, there is a train that passes directly behind the hotel. We were aware of this coming into our stay, and as such, we requested a room that would not be as effected by this due to us needing sleep before our race. Needless to say, even though the front desk assured us our room "would not hear the train" it was clear as day. In addition to this the walls and ceiling are very thin. You could hear people talking, walking around, and doors slamming throughout the night. It was even to the point where my girlfriend thought people were coming in and out of room due to the level of noise. When she turns to you and says that she doesn't feel safe in a hotel you know there is something wrong.

The most aggravating part of our entire stay was their lackadaisical handling of their guests smoking marijuana both in the hotel and outside of it. There was a set of guests in the motel who would multiple times go outside the hotel and smoke marijuana in the back. This would ultimately be pulled in through the HVAC system and fill up our room. We notified management of this multiple times (even provided the room number of the guests) and nothing was ever done about it.

Closing thoughts:

Please by all means, spend the extra $10-$20 a night and say somewhere, anywhere, else.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review of your recent stay at our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. I apologize for your stay not meeting your expectations. Unfortunately there isn't a lot we can do with people smoking marijuana outside of the hotel other than call the Sherriff's department when it's brought to our attention. Whether they come out to investigate or not is out of our control. I am sorry that there was some hair on your towels, we do try and prevent that from happening as best we can but unfortunately it did. Hopefully you brought this to the Front Desk's attention and they were able to get you some new linens. Again I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations but hope that you will give us another chance to improve .

Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I am never one to complain too much about where I stay. I had my reserves about booking this place because lets face it, it is a Motel 6. I looked past the name, saw they were reasonably priced and saw on expedia that the reviews were all fairly good. It seemed that the only negatives were the thin towels, no hair dyer, and the train. I can live with all of these. I assume they recently remodeled so that as well influenced my booking. We were staying for 3 nights total to go to Cedar Point and Soak City.
Upon pulling up, you can already see that its a little bit on the dingy side. We checked in and manager decided to help a guy who worked there with directions to somewhere rather than us. He gave us a our room finally and the bed sheets were filthy. The plumbing was slow. We immediately ask to switch rooms. The manager gave us another room saying "this was their best room". Well, same exact scenario, but now the plumbing worked. Bedspread was filthy. The paneling on the shelving was peeling off. The shelf that held the towels in the bathroom was put up so crooked that it just appears that though they had a renovation, no effort was put in.
We said we would suck it up and deal. We left to go out to lunch, the mall, played some mini golf. Came back to the room at around 9:00pm. A gentleman was hanging outside the door and asks if we have a cigarette and that was it for me.I now see the clientele and don't feel safe.
And the train, holy smokes, no joke is beyond loud because it has to toot its horn everytime it passes.
At 10:00pm, we left, checked out and no one at the desk even asked if there was a problem.The only thing said was "wow, this is the earliest someone has checked out". We checked into the Hilton Inn that is on the main strip there and I couldn't be more happy. Though it cost a lot more a night, for my safety, cleanliness, it was well worth it.
I know I should of known better to stay here really because of the "name" and the price but relied on the reviews I found and said "it can't be that bad". Well it was and I will go with my gut feeling instead next time around.
Luckily I wasn't penalized for cancelling the reservation.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel because there are plenty in the area. And if you can't, then definitely ask t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad time while staying at our location. I wish that you would have brought these issues to our attention while you were here so that we could have fixed them for you as unfortunately sometimes we don't catch all of the stains on the linen as we are washing it. The drains do sometimes back up and when it's brought to our attention all of the staff is trained on how to fix them. Thank you again for bringing these issues to my attention so that we can take care of them so that none of our other guests will have the same experience as you unfortunately did.

Brooklyn, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

It is a simple and clean motel 6 but very close to a railway. Every couple of hours a train was passing by in the middle of the night. It is hard to sleep.there are couple of fast food places close but it is a drive from cedar point and downtown.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel! I'm sorry that train crossing was noisy. I do wish that it was located somewhere else as to not bother our guests. We are very close to a few restaurants, and about 10 minute drive to any other restaurant in the area. Cedar Point is about 5 miles from our location but leaving from here on Cleveland road you do happen to avoid a lot of the traffic! Again thank you for taking the time to leave us a review!

Hillsdale, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Stay here for 5 nights while at Cedar Point and went to a Cleveland Indians Game. The hotel was nice , except for the few flaws. Walls are thin, there is a near by freight train, and upstairs neighbors where kinda of loud. Need to sleep with TV or fan on to to drown out neighbors and near by freight train. The Internet connection was REALLY slow. The in room coffee was horrible but the coffee in the lobby was much better. Very close to Cedar Point and A Good Vaule.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Matt S, General Manager at Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review of our Motel! I'm sorry to hear that you had a few noise issues during your stay with us. I to wish that the trains didn't blow their whistle as much as they do! If you stay at our location again, please just ask and we can try and place you as far from the train as possible.

Thanks again for letting us know how we are doing!!

Twinsburg, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

First the good - the hotel is nice and clean and the staff was friendly. If you are hearing impaired, this hotel is a great value. If you are not, please do not stay here. You will not sleep at all. There is no insulation in the place. Doors and walls are paper thin. There were loud patrons and that is not the hotels fault. People yelling at their kids in the hall past midnight. Not necessarily the hotels fault, I give you that. The fact that the yelling was so crystal clear and loud is their fault. Then there were the elephants having a dance party upstairs! (So yes, these were probably normal sized people walking to the bathroom, but we were concerned they would be in bed with us at some point.) We then turned on the air yo drown out the people noise. Boy did it ever - it rattled louder than my alarm clock! The baby screaming at 5:00 am was a nice tough too. Last and definitely the least of the noise was the train that runs next to the hotel. We slept very little that night.

• Stayed May 2014
Matt S, General Manager at Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry that you didn't have a great experience at our hotel. We enjoy hear any and all feedback from our guests to help us make improvements in the areas that we are lacking in. I regret that sometimes guests are inconsiderate of their fellow guests and are loud. We make them aware that they are causing a disturbance when we are told about any issues with noise and try and make sure that it does not continue.

Thank you again for leaving us a review and hope that you will come back and give us another chance to improve on your experience.

Thanks,
Matt

Been to Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron? Share your experiences!